Today I had the pleasure of correcting some paint defect in Green Growler’s (Martin) hearse-like vectra estate. Luckily for me Martin and Mark were just rinsing the car off when I arrived at Mark’s workshop with a fully loaded boot of cleaning gear.
This is it after a wash and dry ready for some PC’ing:
The cars paintwork was in a poor state, not good for a car that is as noticeable as it is, and what with the impending trip to Germany, Martin obviously wanted it looking its best.
I started by inspecting the general state of the paint under the halogens. It was obvious that the bonnet, front wings and the roof were the worst panels on the car. Random deep scratches and what could only be scourer cleaning on the bonnet and roof leaving scratch patches in straight lines dulling the paintwork.
This is what the bonnet looked like:
I taped up the bonnet to ensure that I work each area thoroughly:
I started by using Meguiars #80 on an SFX 2 pad which gave an obvious improvement but still left behind some swirling along with some random scratches. After another going over the same patch with #80 again I still wasn’t impressed, so decided to step up to #83 and tried using the Sonus SwirlBuster pad (I’d not used this before so was eager to see how it would perform). This combination was significantly better than the SFX pad and #80. I would say that 90% of swirling was removed and only left the deeper random scratches. I’m sure with enough time the paintwork on this car could be improved upon even further but it’s a big car and I had to get moving – I was content with the level of correction I was achieving.
The bonnet and the roof were the only areas I used #83, the rest of the car was done using the SFX 2 pad and #80.
Martin also got his first experience of clay bar today and I think he is very impressed, he was surprised at just how easy it is provided you use sufficient lube. There was a lot of bonded on tar and whatever other contaminants, but the clay made easy work of removing these.
Here are some pics showing the level of correction on the bonnet and wings:
And a 50:50 shot of the bonnet showing before and after:
If you look closely you can see the line that I was polishing up to, right hand side is ‘after’, left hand side is ‘before’:
Nearside front wing ‘after’:
The roof had the worst of the scourer attack, and even after #83 on a Sonus SwirlBuster pad there were still scratches left. Given time these could’ve been removed, but after polishing there was still a coat of glaze and a coat of wax to go, so I had to press on and accept defeat.
Roof AFTER (including glaze and wax):
I used meguiars #7 mirror glaze and meguiars #16 wax on a 4” SFX 3 spot pad with the PC. Martin chased me with a microfibre wiping everything off.
And finally, after a very long day the car was done, wheels treated with Megs Tyre Shine on a paintbrush and glass cleaned with Megs Fast Glass.
And my favourite of the day:
Thanks for reading and thanks to Martin for letting me work on his car, hope you're glad with the results mate.
All comments/advice very much welcome by our resident experts.