Looking for a new laptop to replace the behemoth that has sat unused for yonks. Spent ages today looking for one to meet my requirements and I'm bu**ered if I can find one!! The choice is mind boggling.
I want one that will do Jane for any work/reports etc. she needs to do (school related stuff as she is a teacher in private school) but also be meaty enough for me to use on location for any digital shoots - viewing files, bit of basic Photoshop if needed before I get home, copying the shoot files over and burning the RAW files to a DVD so that I go away knowing everything is backed up off the memory cards).
I've been trying to find one with the following spec.....
Looking at what's out there, it's not as if I'm asking the impossible. I've come across some models that fulfil the criteria, but I have no idea how they perform/handle/how robust they are as I can't find reviews on them.
- Core 2 Duo processor - T5500/5600. Don't think I need the 7000 series and that also bumps up the price considerably.
- 1Gb RAM minimum
- Decent size hard disk - 80Gb+ with 5200 (or higher) spin speed.
- Windows XP - don't want one with Vista. Will upgrade once I'm happy Vista is for me. But needs to be capable of running Vista without struggling.
- Widescreen style monitor of 15/15.4" with good quality screen for viewing the images on.
- DVD/CD burner
- Wi-Fi - 802.11g preferred (obviously also with 802.11a and 802.11b)
- Wired ethernet connection - Gigabit as opposed to 100
- Bluetooth would be nice but not essential as it seems to significantly reduce the choice available.
- Decent battery life
- Not fussed about loads of bundled software - got all the software that I'd want to load up. Would rather pay the money for the hardware, and not partly towards the software.
- Some decent security options as it will be out of the house a lot. Fingerprint scanners, smart cards, boot-up passwords - that kind of thing. Saw an HP with excellent facilities but it was lacking elsewhere.
- Under £1000, £800-£900 preferably.
I used dabs.com to choose the specs I wanted and it narrowed the list down to this list given the above spec (didn't specify Bluetooth).......
I thought I'd found what I wanted with the Samsung R40, but a review on PCPro put me off as it basically said the build/screen was a bit flimsy - not really ideal.
So, I'm stuck. Anyone had any experience of the other models on that list, or know of any others not listed that fit the bill? I was hoping to see a Sony in that list as they have cracking screens, but none came up. There was a Sony (Vaio BX396XP Core 2 Duo T5600), and others, in the list until I clicked on Vista Ready. Odd I thought as I'd have thought it would have been up to the job. Does it just mean that it hasn't been tested as hardware compatible with Vista yet?
Head currently spinning and in need of any other input.