Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Default HGV licence

As the people on here have very wide and varied job experiences, I though I would ask here first to get some info.

I am thinking of changing job, from my current Deveopment Engineering Team leader role for a commercial diesel engine manufacturer and was considering HGV driving !

Bit of a change, I know.

Anyone got info on how to go about getting my licence, and who run the most respected types of training courses? Clearly, if I do do it, then I will have no experience to start with and need a decent course to get work to start with.

Any help from any transport managers / truckers out there ????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi mate, where abouts are you

to be honest i wanted to do the same thing, used to do air con then fancied a driving job but hate it now after 3 years

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The problem is long hours, being away from home to make your money up and poor pay and the old you need experience but can't get it syndrome. However, a lot of big companies like TNT are paying to put people through their courses so it's worth asking around before you make a big hole in your pocket! You will have to do your Class 2, think its called Class C now, first (rigids). You will need a medical, about £80 then an assesment at a driving school. If you've ever drien a 7 1/2 tonner it will help with you having used airbrakes! But be warned there are still cowboys out there to work for, oh and the Polish too! If you're near Dee Ind Est try Iceland etc

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ste.

To be honest, there are very few transport firms who will take on an inexperienced LGV driver these days. There are exceptions, but they are few and far betwen.

This is mainly due to insurance companies interference, they will rarely cover a new driver to take out a rig worth £100k, with a load value of who knows what. Again there are exceptions, Again they are few and far between. In my experience, they are not generally the sort of companies you would want to be working for.

Please don't think I'm trying to put you off here. If you still decide you want to go ahead, then I'll give all the support and advice I personally can.

If you'll take my advice, then I'd suggest as follows;

Firstly, register with a few agencies while you have your current job. I take it you have the 7.5 ton qualification on your license? If so, put that to work first. Ask for some weeked / holiday cover work. Beware though, 7.5t drivers do tend to work hard for their money! Household furniture deliveries will probably be your first step on the ladder. If you get lucky, you may get some distance work on pallett deliveries, etc.

See how you go with this first. Then, if you like it, think about going for your 'C' licence ( old class 2), which would allow you to drive up to 8 wheeled 32 ton gross vehicles. Again before you make a leap, why not try some holiday / weekend cover?

A good idea in the meantime, would be to go onto other websites, like the unfortunately named www.truckersmoan.co.uk also, take some of the monthly magazines like Truck and Driver and Trucking. They generally have some informative articles in there.

First thing to do though is apply for a Drivers card from the DVLA. These are basically your new tacho chart. It is a card with chip that you use in place of the traditional tacho chart. Without one, you won't be able to drive a vehicle registered since june of last year. I think they are about £30, but bear in ind, of all the proffesional drivers out there, only 20% have applied for these cards.

I have tons of tacho training manuals and quizes I can forward you if you want to go ahead. You will need to know the rules and regulations for drivers hours and Working time directive, I'll help as best I can if you like.

I too am seriously considering a return to the cab. Let us know how you get on.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 95

Engine : 2.3t

Year : 2006

all true wots been said plus 2 other things u need to take into account,

VOSA r out to get u never ever stray past ur hours if u ever get caught £2,000 fine per offence (we had a youngster at our place he thought he never get caught he allways sped went over on his hours.
    he got pulled in by vosa had his tachos checked and they found 8 offences there and then,then they turned up at work and went thru his other tachos and found anther 40+ offences. he got fined £9,000 had 9 points put on his licence the courts was going to fine him 40,000. the company got fined £25,000 for failling to spot the errors.)

no drink i havant had a drink for ages simply be cause of the early starts and cant take the chance of getting pulled and breatherlised at 4am and get found to be over the limit the risk is not worth it u lose your licence and your job and get a big fine that u cant pay.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was also thinking of going down the HGV route. I'm currently working 60 hours a week day shift/ night shift fortnite about driving dump trucks in an opencast. What sort of money should i be expecting to make as a newly qualified hgv driver either class 1 or 2? I don't fancy doing multi drop and would rather be trunking on a night shift. One of the guys who works beside me tried multi dropping a few years ago and gave up as he got lost somewhere in Ayrshire, chapped a woman up at 10:30 at night to deliver her new tv and then returned to the depot with his truck still half loaded.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On Multidrop, I find you're either up to it, or you're not.

It's not a matter of charging around like a headless chicken without regard for anyone else, It's about attitude and ability. The ability to read a map for a start!

I speak from experience...

Not a dig to Ross's mate by the way. It's as simple as that. I couldn't do courrier work at 40 drops a day, give me a home delivery run with 25 drops on and It'll be done no problems.

Anyway, back to subject, like I said, If you need any help at all, give me a shout. I don't pretend to know it all, but I can find out if I don't!!
    Last edited by AndrewTi; 29th March 2007 at 15:45.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

try getting a foot in the door at TNT mate, they are the best paid couriers in the business. i know, i worked for them in the traffic office about 15 years ago, even a traffic assistant(me) was getting over £15k. one of our trunk drivers did aberdeen to glasgow every night. drive down, while you are having your break the bay crew swop your trailer, drive back.
    finished.
    on top of that he was the driving assessor for the depot, back then he was on £500 a week
    bl00dy good money, now, let alone 15 years ago

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My brother runs a haulage firm in Hampshire. Amongst other things he runs around 45 artics mostly doing trunk runs (a lot for TNT funnily enough!)
    His artic drivers (C+E) earn around £27-£30k a year.
    Like has been said there an awful lot of shoddy firms out there.
    I speak to a lot of drivers in my job and some of them are put under huge pressures by their employers to flout the rules and go over hours etc. They are basically told that there are plenty of people to fill your seat etc so get on and do as your told!
    If you can find a good firm then you'll be OK. The big firm have got too much to lose and dont need VOSA knocking at their doors!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Multi drop is a skill like said above about being able to route with a map,getting to know customers times etc etc. I used to love it even having 40 drops on an artic! However you have to be prepared to change your life if you go long distance. You can have all your mod cons-tv dvd fridge etc etc but I used to leave home 3am ish Monday and finish Lunch times Sat. That was 6 years ago and I used to do 70-80 hours a week 5 nights out a week but the most I earnt was £37k. Now the EU has bought the 48 hour law in which restricts you in certain ways if you really want to graft.

I did all the running bent across Europe when I was younger,no thanks from the boss, always told there's someone else to do your job and with **** pay but I finally saw the light when a copper in Germany pulled a gun on me!

All areas around the country pay different rates- what they can get away with! The difference between Nottingham and Leicester used to be approx £2 an hour! It has equalled up a bit now though. Notts now pay about £8.50 ph nights + time and half after 8(and then take 45 mins off for a break!)

I now trunk nights. Feels like I,ve retired. Hardly any overtime and last year I topped well over £30K. This took me 16 years to get a decent job and the only way people will leave is die or be made redundant-which is looking likely!!

Personally after driving from vans up at the age of 18 I wished I had a trade of somesort so I could get out of this game but I've seen Europe, all of Britain and am not too badly paid! I'd like to say don't do it but how can I?

The only bad part is if you're naughty in your car you lose your job- if you're naughty in your lorry you lose your lovely car! This is my 1 major gripe- should have totally different licenses- one for pleasure one for work but that's a whole different thing!!

Hope this book might help in some little way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information