Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Solutions for connecting an ipod

Hi guys, I'm new here and the reason I joined is that I'm interested in finding a solution for connecting an iPod to the factory CD player I have in my Vectra C (it's a CD30). I drive a company owned 2004 Vectra C with a CD30 HU.

After reading half the internet I came to the conclusion that Opel/Vauxhal is pretty much the only car brand that doesn't allow a direct connection of the ipod (CD changer interface or at least aux). I find it strange, because as far as I know my CD30 does have a CD changer connector (the dealer told me that I could connect a CD changer to it) so I don'd understand why it's not possible to build an interface. Strange, but this seems to be the truth.

So, after a lot of whinning, I came to the conclusion that the only way to go without changing the factory HU is connecting via a wired FM modulator, and I narrowed it down to 3 alternatives - the HK Drive&Play, the Dension IceLink FM, and the Connects2 FM. I'm not sure which one would suit me best, maybe you guys can help me with these questions:

- can you easily remove and hide the screen from the HK unit, so it would not attract thieves?
    - for dension and connects2 kits it looks like you have to remove the dashboard plate and reach for the switch on the central unit if you want to change the frequency, is that right? it seems pretty silly... I think for the HK you can set the frequency from the mushroom controller, is that correct?
    - does anyone know if the HK would fit the aerial connector on the CD30? I read that for other types of radio you have to buy some connector that's not included with the kit.

And finally, how bad or good is really the sound through the FM modulator? I had a griffin FM transmitter and it was pretty useless in cities and even outside cities in many places, like highways. Is the modulator much better? I don't want to shell out a lot of cash and go through the pain of installing the damn thing just for some marginal improvement over the FM transmitter...

Thanks a lot - any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I remember someone posting not long ago about FM modulators, IIRC their problem was as you say, generally cr4p reception unless they held the unit in the top corner of the rear window......

Sure someone will be along soon to give a proper answer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dan, I've sent you a PM but to answer some of your questions about the Denison

You can also select the frequency from the cradle (button underneath)
    I've not suffered any interference on the Denison and taken the car on a couple of 300mile round trips. This is why I stopped using an iTrip
    The sound is satisfactory, lacks a bit of punch compared to the CD but I'm happy with it and very convenient. Ipod always charged when I take it in to the gym too
    It took me about an hour to fit, took feed from 12v socket and had to take the glovebox and HU out, is all.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate see this link for the H+K set up in my car
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18700
    as said the sound is not as good as cd but I can deffo live with it and its all nicely tucked away from sight and don't get any interferance

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Guys, I can't believe how fast you were with these answers, thanks a lot. This is one of the best forums I've ever been to.
    Beavis, the instalation in the ashtray looks great, congratulations.
    Pingu, how did you mount the craddle? do you have to buy an additional craddle mount, or can you install it directly somehow? I'm trying to work out total cost for each of the alternatives. The HK is about 100 GBP including instalation here in Romania, the Dension adds up to about 90, including a dashboard mount, but I would have to order that from the UK, so with shipping it adds up to pretty much the same thing. In addition to that, I would have to find an installer as I am completely useless at this sort of jobs.
    I think I'm leaning towards the HK, especially due to Beavis's idea of hiding the display...
    Beavis, I read on some forums that the HK doesn't work well with ipods that have large collections of music? People were saying that it doesn't show playlists properly, and you can't really see your entire collection on it? Is that true? did you have any similar problems? I have an 80gb which is almost full, I don't want to see only a few playlists out of it...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have an 80gb(mostly used in the truck only music though and have no problems with it and the pod is nearly 3/4 full) and a 8gb nano (mostly used in the car) and no problems with that either
    never really heard of any issues as said I have had no bother with either running the same kit in both the car and truck

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dan, I bought a Brodie mount. They do three kinds and I opted for the one that fits to the side of the heater controls - very easy to fit and smart looking. I wouldn't be put off doing this yourself. I'm not technically minded but managed it, in the dark in my haste to get it fitted. You need the right tools to extract the head unit and a torx bit to drop the glovebox (just five bolts iirc). It all goes back together very easy. The only fiddly bit was fitting the aerial lead in because there is not a lot of space for large hands.

Regular Member scott_150cdtisri's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just thought i`d show you how ive connected my ipod, in the past i had the dension, alpine 9850ri and now a kensington, with this one i can hide it away out of thieves

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=21370

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dan

I looked at many differnt options for my 80gb ipod before deciding to go for a Pionner DEH-6800IB

Have a look

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=20239

Much better sound quality

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dan70 View Post
    - can you easily remove and hide the screen from the HK unit, so it would not attract thieves?
    - I think for the HK you can set the frequency from the mushroom controller, is that correct?

- does anyone know if the HK would fit the aerial connector on the CD30?

And finally, how bad or good is really the sound through the FM modulator? I had a griffin FM transmitter and it was pretty useless in cities and even outside cities in many places, like highways. Is the modulator much better? I don't want to shell out a lot of cash and go through the pain of installing the damn thing just for some marginal improvement over the FM transmitter...

Thanks a lot - any feedback will be highly appreciated.
    The HK screen is not easily removable as it's hard wired to the control unit, you could leave some slack cable as there's miles of the stuff & tuck it away in the glove box, someone (can't remember who) fitted their display into the ashtray, mines fitted to the switch blank above the hazard switch.

The FM is set via the mushroom, i've found that this is useful when travelling as some local radio stations interfere with the HK (using the same freq)

I don't know what connector is on the Cd30 but on the CD40 it's a fakra connection & you'll need adapters from fleabay or your local car stereo place.

I'm very pleased with the sound quality, sure there's some hiss but it's much better than Fm transmitter's that I've tried, the HK can be used as a transmitter but it's not worth it, just buy the connectors & plug it in the aerial, even the TP's still come through
    Last edited by cameraman; 28th March 2007 at 23:39.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information