User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid Dash Display Change (2Line to Photo Frame)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mid Dash Display Change (2Line to Photo Frame)

Thought i'd start a new thread rather than hijacking the other.

I've decided that sticking a Monitor in there would be pointless as i'm never going to play dvd's in the car, however, i hate the current display as it looks cheap and nasty only being a 2 line display.

My plan is to spend as little as possible.. so, if anyone knows where i can get hold of and old display, or just the housing.. would help a lot! Don't fancy killing mine yet! If it all goes wrong, i can just stick the original back in! lol (Might head to the scrapyard or search e-bay)

I aim to dismantle a Digital Photo Frame and take the screen out, then mount the screen in place of the 2 line display. The Photo Frame i have in mind plays avi's, does slideshows etc all from a memory card. (Not a clue what i'll make it display, it'll change on a daily basis knowing me!) Thus needing to take out it's built in card reader and relocate it! (should be fun). Controlling it isn't a problem as it comes with a remote.
    (details of Photo Frame here.. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=454047)

Before i make a start, my first question.. for those electrical guru's out there... how would i go about powering it? Is it easy to go from a normal AC adapter source to a 12v fag lighter source ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One step further. I've ordered the Photo Frame, should be with me on Friday ready to be ripped apart.

I've got a few spinning griffins to try with thanks to "Carl Bear" for creating the original for me.

Still unsure on how i'm going to power it! lol

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks like a good idea, be interesting to see it in. There isn`t much space to play with but the photo frames are pretty skinny anyhoo ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Photo Frame is about 1.5" thick with the frame.. but i'll be dismantling it.. be interesting to see how thick it is once i've taken it apart.

Found some vents and display on e-bay but lost the link! I want to keep mine as a spare in case i kill it! lol

The picture i have in my mind is probably much better than the finished product will be, but if it works, it's a nice cheap alternative to a 2 line display!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only problem i can see, is how to load a memory card in to the screen. as you can't tell where the card slot is on the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping that i'll be able to either remove the card reader and relocate it in the dash (under the stereo) or somehow extend the connections down to a PC card reader which will sit under the stereo.. My only other alternative is to leave the memory card in and use the USB cable, but that would mean taking my laptop to the car evey time i want to change what's on the card.

I don't suppose you know how i can power it do you? I was hoping to use the connections for the stereo but will i need a converter in there as the photoframe normally uses a plug socket!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Merick2007 View Post
    I'm hoping that i'll be able to either remove the card reader and relocate it in the dash (under the stereo) or somehow extend the connections down to a PC card reader which will sit under the stereo.. My only other alternative is to leave the memory card in and use the USB cable, but that would mean taking my laptop to the car evey time i want to change what's on the card.

I don't suppose you know how i can power it do you? I was hoping to use the connections for the stereo but will i need a converter in there as the photoframe normally uses a plug socket!
    Purely guesswork here, but I can't imagine a photoframe actually requires 240v. The hard part is working out what power it does need and which connection you'd have to hack. Good luck!! I'd imagine it comes with a power supply and the rating would be on there somewhere. What you're hoping for is a <12v output. You can step it down easily enough with a bit of wiring and resistors. Not sure on the current on a car's 12v supply myself though.

The non-hack way would involve using an inverter I guess, but they're generally the size of shoeboxes and cost >£100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hope it doesn't need 240v! lol

Just spoken to a colleague... he's was an electrician before he came into I.T. If i can find out the required voltage, i can use a voltage regulator which are about 59p.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would imahine you are talking about 9v input, maybe you could get a phone charger from a car and butcher that up, it will tell you on the picture frame power supply what it is putting out ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still waiting for the photo frame so i'm not sure what it's putting out yet. All the description says is "Power: AC Adapter" lol, very descriptive!

The other thing i'm still concerned about is the fact that the radio doesn't work without the original display being present. I started a new thread for that one as nobody seemed to be reading this one! lol At the moment, i have the old display taped up and shoved into the hole just so i can use my stereo!

Last edited by Merick; 30th March 2007 at 08:53.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information