Thread: i must be useless!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default i must be useless!

had car a couple of weeks now last friday lovely day i thought ill clean it, so up at 8 in the morning banging on halfrauds door to let me in bought myself 3 stage megs. couple of applicators and polishing pads for me lecky polisher. firstly rinsed car off with hosepipe removed dirt. washed it with shampoo and wax (reason i mentioned this is cause this is what i think the problem is but read on youll see). dryed car with chammy. put stage 1 of megs on buffed it off with polisher. second stage seemed to not come off as easy felt to me like it was oily on the car. if i got a polishing cloth you could sorta see a wierd finish to the paintwork sorta swirled around as i rubbed but never really came off! didnt even bother with 3 cause it made it worst still! looked horrid! so after spending 30 sheets on polish it looked ****! help me please i never want to wash my car again. also after a new polisher cause i have a very bad temper and mine managed to somehow find its way to a wall then fell to bits? cant understand why. so could it be the shampoo and WAX thats not let the polish take to the paint surface?

are the ones off ebay anygood for a beginner

this one

or

this one

i know people go on about cp ones but i really cant justify to our lass spendin nearly 200 quid on one.

ta guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Both of those you link to are rotary polishers rather than random orbital polishers like the porter cable (pc). These have the potential to inflict damage by burning through your paint if you are inexperienced. I have a PC complete with transformer and leads which you could borrow some time if that will help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

so anybody ideas why the polish doesnt seem to have 'taken' to my paintwork???
    thanks for the offer of the polisher richard gonna hunt around see if i can get myself one but i may take you up on it.

rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR, VW Tiguan R-line Tech, Vivaro.

Trim : Nav

Engine : Various

Year : 1 A.D

Mileage : Rising

May be a daft question, but.............. did you give the bottles a damn good shake before you used them ?
    I noticed with some products that they tend to seperate if you don't "wake" them. ( AG SRP is a ****** for doing this ).
    Also if it's cold, this can cause difficulties.
    If you think it maybe the wash, just buy another BRANDED shampoo and see how that performs.

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR, VW Tiguan R-line Tech, Vivaro.

Trim : Nav

Engine : Various

Year : 1 A.D

Mileage : Rising

P.S. Porter Cable polisher won't get as badly damaged when it hits the wall !!

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The megs stage 1 paint cleaner should of removed any wax and polish still on the car. All I can think is that your mechanical polisher wasnt all that its cracked up (lol exscuse the pun!) and didnt give the stage 1 chance to remove the existing wax - it should be used much like t-cut but the benefit is it hardly cuts the paint and doesnt melt/soften the paint like t-cut does. Try using the stage 1 again, but by hand. If you want to be absolutely sure youve got it all off before starting again try using megs all purpose cleaner, diluted to 4-1 and and wash the car with this. It is strongish stuff but used carefully will clean most things off the paint, most certainly polish and wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Rob, I reckon your problem is probably down to using too much of the stage 2. It is similar in nature to Megs No.7 Show Car Glaze from their proffesional range. This is a very oily product and if you search around on www.detailingworld.co.uk you will probably find a number of posts where people have problems fully buffing the product off. I love No.7 as it gives a superb finish, I actually apply mine sparingly with my PC using a blue SFX pad. However I did have to give up on it the other week as I was late starting the car and by the time I got round to the No.7 stage it was getting late and the air was getting damp and I struggled to remove it completely.
    So if you are going to have another go, apply sparingly by hand when you have a dry and warmish day.

Thread Information