Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

Default Fitted LMF's Eibach springs

It took me about two and a half hours to fit the front right one and only an hour to fit the front left one...

Little bit more taxing than I expected but I got there in the end. unfortunatly there is a rattle from the one I did first so I'll have to sort that tomorrow.

I don't think they are right though, I measured the hight of the arches and they are exactly the same. That's a problem because I have much bigger tyres on the back, so it should be higher at the back... I'll have to ring LMF on Monday and ask them what's going on cos it's definatly not right.

I've got lots of pics to make a how to, won't get done today though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What's the Eibach part number? Just curious, as I have a set in the garage, which I bought from LMF only after a lot of advice from Eibach in Germany. Fronts on a 1.9 should be for 1060kg axle weight - maybe the 995 (or whatever) kg springs would be better suited to what it seems is all models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I asked for springs rated to 1080Kg front axel, bit dark to go read the numbers now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : i500

Trim : i500

Engine : V6 3.0CDTi

Year : 2005

shaun from the N/West (topline) had the same problem with a set of Irmschers
    and found out that in the set was a wrong size spring I think
    have a look or a search on this topic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm at work right now so can't check, but I'm almost certain I ordered the 1060kg-1130kg front axle option, after checking the plate on my door pillar.

Haven't had them fitted yet, bl00dy well hope they're right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

would weaker springs casued a knocking noise then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

glad you got it sorted in the end.

hope you get the knocking problem fixed easily and that the mystery with the springs becomes clear - will be looking out for the pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Found the problem. Once the springs had compressed a bit and settled, the tops needed tightening down again. Man those nuts on the top are a pain to get on and off. I used allen keys to jam the nut in place and turned the treaded portion.

Front still doesn't look right though. The back tyres are 37mm bigger in diameter, so if the springs were the same length the front should be lower. I did notice that the front ones were longer when they turned up but I assumed they would compress more under the engine.

I'm going to write the how to during the week and put it up next weekend with the pics.

Mean while though, if you can't wait that long; here are my tips for changing the front springs...

1) get a jack and put it under the rear oposite side from where you are starting. just nip it up to take a little weight. Now go round and undo the bottem end of the vertical bar attached to the strut. I removed it at the bottom because it was easier. Just undo the nut and then adjust the jack on the back up or down to align the bolt so it just pulls out. (17mm open ended spanner and 18mm ring or open)

2) now jack up the front corner you are going to change and remove the wheel. (17mm nuts on mine)

3) remove the brake and ABS connections from their brakets on the strut. you'll need to pull down the clip on the back of the electrical plug and then use something pointy to push the tab in and lift it off. The brake line is held by a clip you'll need to lever or knock out. (I used a screw driver)

4) next, remove the two large bolts holding the brake unit onto the strut and move the two apart. (I think they were both 18mm)

5) now open the bonnet and remove the three star shaped bolts while holding the strut. then move it carefully clear of the car.

6) this is where you have to compress the spring, either with the specific tool (a very nice man at a garage lent me his) or you could use those quick release pump action clamps but you'll need at least four of the (cost me £60 but they helped alot).

7) while the spring is compressed, remove the nut on the top. Bit of a pain, I would imagine there is a special tool for it some where but I managed it by putting allen keys down the sides of the nut to jam it and turning the star drive threaded portion. Don't forget if you do this that you need to turn the threaded part in the oposite dirrection for the nut would have to be.

8) move spring away and carefully decompress.

9) fit the new spring and transfer all the bits over (making sure you keep them the right way round). Make sure you put the end of the spring right up agains the stop.

10) compress the spring (you can do that before you stick it on if ou want) and fit the top cap again (the really awkward nut again).

11) now just stick it back in rever order and remember to reattach the bar after you let it down (you will probably need to jack the opposite rear slightly again).

took the strut off again today to diagnose the rattleing and it took me an hour to get it off and on again, from getting out the jack to having the car ready to drive again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just had mine up on the ramps, as I have not been happy with the drop on my fronts, the guy from Eibach asked for the numbers on the springs

My rears read - 6500701HA and the fronts - 6500702VA

He has a mate who works for Demon Tweeks and he thinks the fronts may be wrong, he thinks they should be the same number except for the H and V.

Have just emailed eibach back so will see what they say.

Also my rear shocks have gone, so am now looking for a kit to replace them

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just ordered my springs from LMF - should be here by wednesday.

Steve @ LMF said that there are so many variants of the springs it's often easy to order the wrong set.

for my vectra the front axle load is 1160kg and the rears are 980kg

even something like an automatic box makes a difference on which springs to order - for example mark the cabby's signmum is a 3.0 diesel and his front axle load is 1180kg, and the only thing it can be down to is the auto box that his has

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information