Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Vauxhall Quality??!

I've got a question, I'm sure it will cause a bit of controversy and it's by no means meant to offend.
    Why does everyone like and persevere Vauxhall Cars, especially the Vectra-C??
    I own a 03 plate SXI and it's been nothing but hassle with a long list of various faults, a car of this age should be capable of many years trouble free motoring.
    I owned a Honda Prelude previously which was much older than my Vectra, I know it's a cliche but it really was the most reliable and painless car to own which to be honest I feel can be attributed to the quality of design and construction.
    Don't get me wrong I think the basic Vectra-C design concept was very good, but it just feels that the car was poorly designed, engineered, tested and constructed. When the car is doing as it should I really appreciate it's talent of effortless cruising and driving but it seems to rare to have a month when it doesn't need something fixing.
    Just reading the forum I cannot believe how many and varied the list of issues are, can it really be acceptable that a modern manufacturer produced such a car? I can really appreciate why vauxhalls parent, GM is in such dire trouble given the quality of their products. It's no wonder that Japanese manufacturers are steaming ahead with car sales.
    It's not only the car but the dealers, all the dealers I've had contact with really didn't seem to know one end of the spanner to the another. If the problem couldn't be sorted by plugging a computer to the car they had absolutley no chance of sorting it. I realise I've only had limited contact with vx dealers and I really hope that there are some good ones out there but I've spoken to a number of people and not one had a good word to say about the service or quality of work at a vx dealer.

Sorry for my rant, am I on my own on this one??!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Early days yet, and I agree that finding a good VX dealer isn't easy, but my current vxr (built in Germany) appears to be very well built, and nothing has gone wrong so far in 5k miles.

I'm not a big fan of Japanese cars: the designs don't age well, and if the only thing going for them is that you die of boredom before they do, then that's not for me... Also, GM are actually doing ok at the moment, esp compared to F%$d.

dv.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vx cars in my honest opinion have been top notch, however the Vec C does seem a bit of a glass ankled footballer, I know I wont buy another one and am right now considering a defection to Skoda or Hyundai, I've never owned a car so fragile before, screen cracking, suspension needing replacement after 15k etc, if the Insignia follows this path I wont be a Vx man anymore, the funny thing is all the ****e they've endured up to now, but the reality is pre 03 they had bomb proof motors.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, I really like my Vectra C but have to agree that it's very delicate.

In our family there is my vectra, a Jag 3.0 Xtype, Clio, Mondeo, Megane and a golf. Ranging between Y reg up to my 03 plate Vectra.

Out of all the cars mine is the only one that breaks, all of the other cars are fine and are never in the garage.

It gets a bit embarassing TBH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as a long term Vauxhall owner, and as a repairer of far too many of them....all i can say is there are good cars and there are bad ones..there are 7 vectra-C's or signums in the family now and so far we've only had trouble with 2.. 1 was swapped back at the dealers ( wifes old 2.2 auto)and the 2nd is just having continual repairs ( the 1.9 CDTi)..

the others have proved to be trouble free so far..yes they could use better components in some areas but their reliability is no different to older models.. we just seem to look back with rose tinted glasses and gloss over all the previous cars faults..

As for reading the 'horror stories' on here, it's only natural for folks to search the web as and when a problem occurs. And with this site being the only real source of help in the world for the model, it's natural that sometimes it can give the impression the model is poor..If you want a REALLY good read have a look at the renault forums.. ..some shocking reading in there.. bending back axles etc..

in balance i'm happy with mine..if only VX could get a decent agent network who put customer care 1st , instead of their profit margin.. then we'd all be happy again..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As Mark has said, you do get good & bad ones. In 20 years of driving I've only had 5 cars and apart from the first one, the other 4 have all been Vauxhalls (cavaliers & this Vectra).
    I am happy with my Vectra.
    As people have said it is hard to get a decent dealer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile

Fait point Gsi 3.2, I suppose you (generally) only look on the internet for help when something broken or need advice, so I have made it sound worse than it probably actually is.
    I agree that there are worse cars out there (most French!!!) but it still doesn't excuse VX, I really feel that the basic concept was excellent just pants in execution.
    I think you're right though, I could cope with the faults and break downs if the dealers were treated you like a human being and actually seemed to give a monkies.

For me I think VauxVeteran summed the Vec-C up best as a glass ankled footballer.

Anyone want to buy a 1.8 SXI Dual Fuel with a ......slight ...occoasional...erm.... failure to promote internal combustion issue??!! ha ha ha

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just to echo what's already been said...

I am onto Vectra/Signum number five, and all of these have been of good build quality. My sole gripe would also be regarding the standards of VX dealer customer care. I have still to find a good quality/reliable dealer in my area, but haven't given up looking.....

I have another VX dealer lined up for my next major service. Here's hoping.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

On balance, there are also people who have had no real issues.

Mine is a daily commute and has now done 60,000 miles on a 04 plate.

The clutch collapsed within 4 days of me getting it (it was a hire car before I had it at one year old with 13,000 miles on the clock) the radio packed up after about 1 year from me having it. That was changed under warranty.

That's it, not even the brakes have needed changing, I have put new tyres on the front though.

So I can't complain at all.

My other car is a Fiat Stilo on a 52 reg, and that is the worst car I've ever had for reliability.

Vist a website like www.honestjohn.co.uk to get realist impartial info on all makes and models. That is the only way to get a fair picture.
    Coming on forums like this will only make you think that particular model covered is bad, and would prob put you off. Most people post about faults / bad points, a post about how reliable the car has been is rare.

I don't use the VX dealer network, they don't give value for money. I can do most jobs about the car without too much difficulty, so why should I pay over the odds for some monkey to abuse my car? In reality, I am prob more qualified than most of the 'technicians' at the local VX anyway. Gone are the days of proper mechanics. If the computer can't find the fault, then you must have imagined it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think it's the same for most cars Aleco, you get good ones and bad ones. I've had mine for a while now, and whilst I need to get the front springs looked at, and the radiator mounts done, touch wood nothing else seems to need doing.

My car is ex-fleet and I've got a full printout of everything done to it. I would say the weakness on my car is wiper linkages and temperature sensors.

If yours has done a low mileage for an 03 plate, then that may be why its got a few problems (I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for saying that!)

Mine's now rolled over to 144000 - the previous owner pounded the motorways every day and I do a lot of A-road driving so I think that's why mine doesn't go wrong - it gets less wear and tear than a 'town car'.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information