User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: car cleaning bonanza!!! (have a brew at the ready)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default car cleaning bonanza!!! (have a brew at the ready)

Well it was promised to be a very nice weekend so I thought it would be a good time to get my callipers painted up. What I thought would only be a quick job turned out to be a complete weekend tidy up.

Put the car up on the axle stands and had the wheels off, the reason for wanting to paint the callipers is because Iíve just had the alloys refurbed and I didnít want the callipers letting down the look.

Was faced with these arches so decided I would clean the arches aswell, it seemed obviously easier to do with the wheels off and it was a good time to scrub off all the winter muck.

O/S arch

N/S arch

These are pics of the wheels before a good clean. You may notice than one actually looks cleaner than the other, this is because just four days after having all four wheels refurbed I curbed the NS front one!!! Needless to say it went straight back into the shop for repair.

The curbed wheel also resulted in a scratched lower lip spoiler, so decided to buy a brand new one and have that colourcoded Ė it was fitted later in the day.

Picture of the wheels washed

You can see that the wheels are actually painted black and then Ďdustedí with the dark silver grey, it gives a graduating effect on the spokes from silver to black. I have to admit this finish had to grow on me, and it wasnít until the sun shines on them that they really did impress me.

After washing the wheels I used Chemical Guys Wheel Guard to seal the alloys, hopefully this is going to help getting any brake dust off the wheels a lot easier in the future. Also, gives the alloy a nice shine. I spritzed a bit of Megs Last touch onto the foam pad to help prime it and not have all the wheel guard absorb into the pad.

Wheels sealed and onto the tyres

I used Megs tyre shine for the wheels, I tend to spray onto a paint brush and then apply, gives much more control over where the product is going. If you spray it directly onto the tyre I find that you unavoidably get some on the wheel and the brake dust sticks to it.

Wheels sealed and dressed

For the arches I used Megs All Purpose Cleaner in a foaming head bottle and thoroughly soaked the arches.

I then agitated using a hard bristle brush and then rinsed, did this twice just to make sure I got everything I could off.

Arch before and after

And dressed with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber, I applied this once and then wiped it down, but found it dried out Ė so I reapplied and just let it sit, results were much better, this is definitely a spray and leave product.

Final arch shot

I had bought the K&N air filter cleaning kit from Halfords as Iíve noticed the car being a little more smokey that usual and thought it would be good to do before the Irmscher trip.

The amount of cr4p that came out of the filter was unbelievable, I wish I had taken some pics but my hands were filthy with all the muck. Even the water that I rinsed it in ended up black. But funnily enough the instructions on the cleaner kit say that the muck will actually HELP the filterís performance!!??

So after washing I let it dry and then sprayed it with the oil.

NOW it was on to the brake callipers, this is how they looked after a good over with a wire brush, pretty sorry looking.

The instructions said to apply two coats, but after one coat I wasnít convinced I was going to get the solid, bright and glossy look I was after even after another coat. The first coat just made them look like a rusty red.

But after another coat I was very impressed with the finish I was getting. Here is the difference between 1 coat and 2 coats.

The kit I used was the Foliatec kit from Halfords Ė highly recommended. You donít get a brush or some gloves in the kit so make sure you have some to hand.

These are the afters of the painted calliper. New lip spoiler was also fitted whilst waiting for the first coat to dry.

I decided I would take the opportunity to apply a second coat of Wheel Guard to the wheels and also layer up the tyres with another coat of dressing.

I then gave the car a wash, no pics Iím afraid as I wanted to crack on.

After washing the car I put the front wheels back on and was glad to get all four wheels back on solid ground. Really liked how the callipers were looking behind the wheels.

Also gave Sophieís car a good wash, both inside and out. Amazing how much this girl can accumulate in her car! Hereís some pics of her little motor.

Interior done aswell

And finally, some shots of my interior all cleaned up.

So it was a day and half of solid cleaning work, but really enjoyed it! Saturday morning was a little fresh but the afternoon and yesterday were just perfect!

Forgot to add that I Rain-Xíd both mine and Sophieís windows, I know itís a but late, I shouldíve done it at the start of winter, but I saw it in Halfords and picked it up.

Plan to do the same to the back arches, wheels and callipers one weekend soon, and also get the decals for the front callipers.

Thanks for reading.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Harry, Both cars look emaculate!!! Love how the wheels look with the painted calipers.

If you don't mind me asking...How much did it cost to get your wheels refurbed?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

£45 a corner....which i thought wasn't bad, as that included them taking it off the car, removing the tyre, balancing and a new valve.

the garage i used are called Prestige Wheels in Uxbridge - 01895 259 100 if you want to call

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

wow, I can't believe the difference with the wheel arches. They didn't look too bad before you cleaned them, cleaner than mine anyway LOL

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Harry,

That's about the same price I've been quoted from a local company...

As soon as I get some cash together, they're getting done... (Still want to have the most original Veccie in the club tho...hee...hee.....)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Looking Great Harry....Just a quick one, where did you get all you Megs goddies from Spray bottles, Cleaners etc, also i'm off to halfrauds in a while...how was the Foilatec kit?????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Foliatec kit was faultless - just get yourself a brush and glove. And be careful where you put the pot in between the coats, the wind blew it over and it went on the driveway, was there scrubbing away with a wire brush to get it off!!

You can get the megs spray bottles from lots of online detailing shops i.e. carwashnwax, cleanandshiny.

in fact, you can pick them up at the cleanandshiny open day at the end of the month.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Excellent work, just wish I had the patience and will power to do the same! lol!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

once you get into it, it really is enjoyable!

i was a bit peeved when i came out on the sunday morning and there was condensation all over the cars, had to give them a quick rinse down and then dry them up again!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very nice Harry! I'm interested in that Chemical Guys wheel guard. I sprayed my new wheels with the AG alloy wheel seal to make future cleaning easier. That Chemical Guys looks more substantial (more 'sticky') looking at that tub.

Calipers look good. That Foliatec is good stuff as you've found. I've used it on three pairs of calipers now. You just need to buy a brush as you say and make sure you have gloves. I mix up just enough of the hardener and paint for the job in an old jar so that the rest is saved for any future touching up etc.

D

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information