Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Anyone know??

My neighbour is complaining that while we were on holiday part of "our" fence blew down into his garden.
    The fence was erected before we bought the property.
    Anyone know who is responsible for the fence. (i.e which side boundary am i responsible for?)
    Also looking at it the reason it has come down is that the post has moved.This looks to have been caused by the very large conifers in his garden. (the roots probably moving the concrete footings of the post.) This would not be the first problem we have had with his conifers as they have previously blocked the main drain twice.
    A prompt reply would be appreciated!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Taffy, if you look out of your back windows it is normal for the fence on the right hand side to be your responsibility. To check this you need a copy of the deeds. These show a small 'T' drawn on the inside or the outside of the boundary line indicating the responsibility. You will have no chance of proving that his conifers moved the footings. Simply the person who is legally responsible needs to fix the fence. Regarding those conifers the law has changed and if they are on the boundary and exceed 2 metres in height you can appeal to the council to adjudicate that he has to reduce their height to 2 metres (the council will charge you for this service, the charge varies by council from £100 to £400 ish), off to polish the Signum, cheers Andy

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And if you don't have a copy of your deeds to hand, you can get a copy online.

Go to here (Land Registry web link) and you can see if your property has had the deeds stored electronically. You can get a copy of the deeds (Title Register)and also the litle plan showing the boundaries (Title Plan) - each item only cost £2 and downloads as a PDF. The great thing about it is that you can get it for any property, doesn't have to be only your own!!

I'ts very useful if you ever have a neighbour claiming that some land is theirs etc, as you can get their deeds and see exactly what is their land. I pointed a friend to that website who was having a problem with a neighbour who was claiming some parking area was all his. She got a copy of his deeds, verified that he was talking out of his a**e and told him so (showing him the Title Plan). He wasn't happy but he couldn't argue any more as it was there in black and white (and red!) LOL

HTH

D

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Duncan, i have a neighbour/boundry problem !!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That site is only for England and Wales I'm afraid Tommy. There's maybe an equivalent version for the Scottish Land register?

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I found this Tommy - http://www.ros.gov.uk/citizen/searchform.htm - you print it off and have to send it off. They'll do a search and likely charge is £10 but it may be more if it's more complicated.T hey tell you if it will be more than £10.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well, the left hand fence is mine here in Glos, but my previous proporty it was the right hand,

you need to check the deeds ,

also remember the fence is within your boundry , not marking it, so the other side of the fence towards his land is yours, not down the middle of it so to speak

BB

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sometimes it's which side of the fence the posts are. i.e. if the posts are on your side, then the fence is down to you. It depends which type of fencing you have obviously.

I've just moved into my new house and I've replaced one of the panels myself. I didn't even bother to check who owns it, it was simply nackered. So I've probably done my neighbour a favour.

Just tell your neighbour that you'll replace it, and explain to him it's only a fence panel no big deal. He'll feel small for mentioning it. To be honest he sounds like a bit of a d1ck if you ask me.

Thread Information