Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

Default window tints

got the ok of the gaffer today for the windows to be tinted, been quoted £220.00 for all windows to be done 15% on the back and 20% on the front, also informed the insurance company and they said it was 'ok' to tint the fronts and also no extra charge on the policy, (also informed them of chrome siggy fog surrounds and chrome door handles)
    will book it in tomorow as the man normaly who does them is in plaster for 8wks after a football injury

not a problem though as his mate has stepped in to help out but about 10 days wait

never mind i will just have to finish spraying/fitting my mud flaps and then pluck up enough courage to fit my rear interior light as informed of by the guys on here last night and thanks for the info....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Quote Originally Posted by ditchp View Post
    informed the insurance company and they said it was 'ok' to tint the fronts and also no extra charge on the policy,
    Just be careful, it's got sod all to do with the insurance if it's "ok" to tint the fronts. It is the police that will decide that for you.

They will probably get you to remove the tint if you get stopped.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ditchp View Post
    15% on the back and 20% on the front
    that seems a strange way of doing it...usually its the back windows that are tinted darker than the fronts.

and there IS a legal limit to how dark you can have the front windows, i'm sure one of our resident rozzers will be along to assist!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You got a 20% transmission film on the front and the insurers said that was okay?!! Most insurers won't let you put any tint on the fronts as they are already tinted to the minimum 70% transmission.

Which insurer? Curious,as I've heard of other people telling their insurers that they've done front tints and they've had the policy cancelled on the spot!!

Edit: Paul, the figures given are transmission % of the film, so the lower number is darker. As for legality of the fronts, anything less then 70% transmission on the fronts is not allowed. As most factory glass is tinted to that, basically any tint on the fronts will make them less than that 70%.

If the police stop somebody and their fronts are less than 70% transmission,there are three options (all dependent on how much below the 70% they are). They'll be told to either....
    • Have them removed within so many days (14 I think) and have an MOT station (I think) verify they are okay.
    • Be told to remove them there and then
    • Be given a fixed penalty
    I think that's the three options depending on where you fall on the % transmission.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Seconded there Caterman! In fact, if the tinting firm are any good they should refuse to tint forward of the 'B' pillar as it is not legal.

The police are more than within their right to ask (tell) you to remove it if it is to dark, and 20% would be!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

been told that a fixed fine of £30.00 and 7 days to remove them, but had tints on all of my cars and never been stopped or questioned about them...
    so all being well they wont bother me with these, thanks for the concern,

by 20% i think it means that they block 20% of the light and allow 80% through, they are not too dark as you can see through them ok, like i say had them before and passed an mot with them on
    Last edited by ditchp; 9th March 2007 at 23:57.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Just found this regarding the legislation.

Important Notice: Car Window Tinting

Amendments to Legislation During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films”, where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels. These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reason for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is however, a recognised difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department for Transport have argued however that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself.

The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the situation, the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department for Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints already fitted and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the vehicle owner

After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.

In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Action that needs to be taken

All Businesses that have supplied window tints forward of the B-Post are being encouraged by the Government and the Glass and Glazing Federation to contact all of their previous customers to inform them of the changes to Legislation and to offer them a chance to have their vehicle rectified by having the front tints removed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Which insurer? Curious,as I've heard of other people telling their insurers that they've done front tints and they've had the policy cancelled on the spot!!
    insured with fortis through a broker called routen and chaplin in notts, phoned them twice to make sure it was ok with them to have fronts done and both times they said no problems at all it doesnt affect the policy at all....

the company doing them did tell me that there was still a grey area around the tinting of the fronts and that he had to tell me that they were possibly ilegal but the final choice was 'mine' and if i wanted them done then he would do them for me at my own risk so to speak
    Last edited by ditchp; 10th March 2007 at 00:09.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Blimey! Look forward to seeing them then!

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OK resident rozzer here!
    Basically any glazing ahead of the B pillar must have MINIMUM of 70% light transparency.
    Most new vehicles Vec C included comes from the manufacturer with tinted windows which are pretty much upto the legal limt.
    usually 'any' addition of tint film will take the glass below the 70% limit.
    A handheld device called 'tintmaster' is used to measure the light transmission. If your below the 70% limit then your car will be subject to an immediate prohibition, not 7 days. Basically you cannot drive your car from that point. Most people remove the tint film there and then and the prohibition is removed. It is likely that your car could pass an MOT with the tint applied but fail a roadside check.
    The worst case scenario is that you are involved in a collision where you pull out in front of someone etc and then you could potentially end up with 'using vehicle in dangerous condition' or worse still!
    Anything behind the B pillar, 'fill yer boots' go as dark as you like!
    Wether you agree with it or not, that is the current legislation.
    So there, getting back in my box now!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information