Thread: Falklands .. 25 Years on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by skippyroo View Post
    i am left wondering after reading everyone's comments in this thread, we all seem to be of the opinion that this conflict was justified, and i have to agree whole-heartedly. So what has changed so dramatically in the past 25 years that we as a nation think Iraq or Afghanistan are not, let alone to mention Bosnia and the state of the other Balkans not so long ago.
    I was just finishing basic training at Pirbright with the Guards when the 1st Iraq conflict broke out, and at the time i was just a typical squaddie, all full of "well, they've trained me, now let me loose", as was everyone i served with. Maybe this was just the lust of youth talking, but i was raring to go.
    Now, i dont think that the present Iraq or Afghanistan deployments are justified, in lay-man terms "we should'nt be there", but even more dis-heartening is the way relatives of the sadly fallen feel it necessary to petition the armed forces, or rather the government for enquiries into their deaths and looking for compensation, when these servicemen and women were quite happy to accept the wages in peace-time.
    I think it demeans the memory of all our true heroes who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
    Maybe, we should not be in certain places, but we are, and at least our armed forces are the best trained in the world.

These types of posts really get up my nose. Whatever the media and the constant blurb states. Iraq was necessary as is Afghanistan. And as for the people dying on both fronts - MORE SOLDIERS DIED ON HOME SOIL IN NORTHERN IRELAND IN 1972 THAN IN IRAQ AN AFGHANISTAN SINCE 2003. this point is often forgotten. Skippy your view of should we be there is answered by your use of the word "Conflict". This is were innocent victims in there tens of thousands suffer. Modern soldiers fight with more compassion these days since we cannot always identify the enemy anymore. All of the problems with Iraq stem from the government/hierarchy or the Coalition forces. leaving the borders open for foreign fighters to infiltrate into Iraq was wrong, disbanding the police/army without taking their weapons from them was wrong (this left ****ed off and sacked men armed and led to anarchy at a huge level). getting rid of the Ba'ath Party just because saddam was their party leader was wrong. These people were the political and working structure of Iraq-hence the civil war now. All of these points do not involve soldiers on the ground but everyone of us is making a difference be it helping train the police/army or allowing the people of Iraq just to vote and live a normal life. That is why Iraq remains neccessary.

As for afghanistan when you next hear about some scrote high on heroin robbing a bank or mugging YOU! for his next fix, think were the heroin comes from. 90% of all heroin production in the world comes from Helmand province in Afghanistan. Many of the people protecting these poppy fields under the guise of the taliban have already seen Conflict in Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Iraq and their own home of Afghanistan. Is Afghanistan necessary? ask the children who could only go to school in the radical Madrasas were freewill is beaten out of you. were women are executed for a mere hint of adultery. I'd say yes to afghanistan been necessary.

Before jumping on the bandwagon of "Iraq/Afghanistan should never of happened" do your research, it isn't just about tony blair and this present government. its about people suffering because WE DON'T DO ENOUGH .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Each is entitled to their own opinion - that's what I like about democracy. I just don't have to agree with it, which is also fine.
    Good points on both sides and healthy discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sorry, i think you are missing my point, i am not against us being in conflict, i just think the reasons are a bit thin, did we not protest against russia being in afghanistan in the 80's? so why is it now alright for us to be there, and as for iraq2 we are playing lapdog to big old george dubbya.
    my point was, lets stop treating our armed forces with contempt, they do a fantastic service to and for the nation of great britain, and i for one am proud of these servicemen and women acting on my behalf, but do feel they are being deployed needlessly in certain cases

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am one of those soldiers. I have served in Iraq and seen the difference we make. I have seen the fresh blood in torture chambers in Baghdad. I have seen the bodies of Kuwaitis pulled out of quarries 10 years after they were killed. In a few weeks time I'm hoping to go to Afghanistan (If my knee gets better). I certainly don't call it Needless! Anyhow what are your reasons for us not being there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

simple. it's politics
    this was meant to be a commemoration for those who fought and fell during the falklands campaign, not a for or against of modern day combat, as they say, each to their own.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information