User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Signum should I chose please?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What Signum should I chose please?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this board so hello to you all. I've joined the forum as everyone seems very knowledgable and I would like to rack your brains!

I'm currently drving a VX220 and what to get something much more practical! The Signum appears to be a great buy on the used car market offering a lot of kit for the money.

I would be very grateful of some advice on the following: -

1) Engine. I would prefer a diesel. What is the best engine when into account performance and economy. I am particularly interested in the 3.0 Cdti and the 1.9 Cdti (150). Also, is a manual or automatic recommended?

2) I am stuck between looking for a 'Design' or an 'Elite'. I prefer the fact the Design is lowered and has a sportier feel with chrome trim etc, while I like the leather heated seats and climate control offered with the Elite.
    Would I notice much difference between the handling and drving dynamics of each car? Is it worth compensating for a few less luxuries? Also, are there Design models out there with leather and climate or Elite with the lowered suspension?

So far, I've had a very short test drive in a 3.0 V6 Petrol Elite, and it is a totally different drive to what I am used to!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Ad

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Firstly, what year(s) are you looking at - as the spec altered between them.

Engine - really depends what you want out of it. You'll get better economy out of a 1.9, and if you remap/box it you'll have comparable performance to a standard 3.0. The 3.0 will be much more smoother and you get that lovely V6 noise

Manual/automatic - really personal preference.

Design/Elite - I had this same decision when I bought mine. I looked at both Design and Elites - and went for the Elite in the end. If the extra things of the Elite like the electric memory seats (depending on what year you're looking at?), heated seats and Climate Control appeal, then it's easier to get an Elite and make tweaks to it to have the Design features. This is what I've done by adding the visible exhausts, Irmscher suspension and other bits. You can't really add CC to a Design - very expensive even if it all worked when put together. You can add heated seats without too much hassle, there is a How 2 on the forum.

Other things that the Elite will have are things like the passenger dipping down when reversing. I think there is other stuff but can't remember it all off the top of my head!

If you were looking at a 3.0 then one thing you would lose out on my going to Elite would be ESP, as this comes on the V6 versions of the Design.

You may find Designs with heated seats and Climate, or Elites with lowered suspension (especially if they've been factory fitted with 18/19" wheels).

Just depends what's important to you, but overall if you like the extra goodies of the Elite, it's easier to then add the Design styling and handling bits.

Your test drive BTW, it must have been the 3.2V6 if it was a petrol.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You might find the 1.9 a bit gutless although diesels are a lot easier to add extra power to as you can see by other threads. I used to have the 2.2 Direct petrol that was adequate and very economical but it just lacked a grunt when "being given some" because it seemed to suck in too much air-hence the economy but that's about the same power as a 1.9 150. I would have loved the 3.0d after test driving it but couldn't afford one at the time hence I went for the 3.2. However after looking on this site and Total Vauxhall mag there seems to be limitless ways to add power to a diesel or a turbo petrol but very limited ways to play with an ordinary petrol. It depends if you want to play around much or just get a lot of MPG and keep it standard! Personally I'd have the big 3!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Duncan

Thanks for such a quick and useful reply. You are right - it was the 3.2V6!

I am looking to buy an early model - say 03 - 04. The only thing I am worried about when adding or changing the original spec is the negative effect on resale and how it will affect my insurance premiums. I too was slightly favouring the Elite, but I am not sure how much different the standard design suspension set up will feel. I like leather seats and luxuries, but I also like to have a bit of driver enjoyment, but I guess we can't always have it all!!

Also, what sort of ball park figure price am I looking at for tweaking the engine and/or lowering the suspension? What do you mean by passenger dipping down when reversing? Many thanks again.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks j13hdb

I've seen a lot mention about tweeking the engine and have even heard it can improve economy! As I just mentioned above, the one thing I am worried about when adding or changing the original spec is the negative effect on resale and how it will affect my insurance premiums!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The passenger wing mirror drops down (so you can see the kerb) when put in reverse (if the n/s door mirror switch is pressed in) on the Elite. Some have both mirrors that fold in-never seen one though! A little trick to check all your electric windows work is by holding the unlock button on the key for about 10 secs-they should all drop down then hold the lock button and they'll all shut!

Insurance wise looking at other postings it doesn't seem too much more but remember if you don't tell them and they find anything they'll not pay. I know of someone who got hit by somebody else and because he hadn't told them he'd had his windows tinted they didn't pay out! You take your chance...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by help please! View Post
    I am looking to buy an early model - say 03 - 04. The only thing I am worried about when adding or changing the original spec is the negative effect on resale and how it will affect my insurance premiums.
    03/04 would be a good choice IMO for spec. On the 04 range the Travel Assistant (fridge thing in middle back seat) was standard on all modesl, on 03 only on the Elite). Depending on what you do, it may affect the insurance premium - but I don't think by much. As for resale, well a number of things you can remove before reselling anyway (as long as you've kept the original items), but some people will want those and may get you a quicker sale. One thing you rarely do is get back the money you've spent on mods (if they're sold with the car) - something we all realise and accept! lol
    I too was slightly favouring the Elite, but I am not sure how much different the standard design suspension set up will feel. I like leather seats and luxuries, but I also like to have a bit of driver enjoyment, but I guess we can't always have it all!!
    The Design suspension is dropped 20mm (I think - can't remember if it's 15 or 20mm!) and will handle much better than the Elite suspension. I put the Irmscher suspension on my Elite (dropped 30mm) and it handles very nicely indeed. If you like all the driver comforts, then as before it's easier to add the Design styling and handling bits.
    Also, what sort of ball park figure price am I looking at for tweaking the engine and/or lowering the suspension?
    Depends on the engine. You can get boxes from £65 upwards and a good remap at around £500. The 3.0 is more fussy with the boxes it works with, so they will cost a bit more. Good remap again around £500. Mark the Cabby has a remap in his 3.0 and is very happy with it. Have a look around the diesel tuning section for lots of info.
    What do you mean by passenger dipping down when reversing?
    When you select reverse (on the Elite) the passenger mirror points downwards so you can see the kerb when reversing - save you kerbing those nice alloys!

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I went for the 1.9 CDTI auto....I'd never had an auto before and I was really concerned about making the right decision but a year later and I still think it was a good choice. 90% of the time I leave it in auto mode (especially in traffic etc) and usually knock it into manual at night on the cross country roads...:-)
    Fuel works out between 42 - 45 but I have had 56 out of it when going on long trips, obviously depends how you drive it. It's fairly quick and you have the option of easily boosting it a bit more.
    What would I go for next time? I've already decided it will be another auto so I guess that sums it up.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also the V6 Diesel has CControl and ESP as standard - think all the V's do. I went with the design for the standard darker rear windows and I don't personally like all leather Iprefered the half and half i the design
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I recently bought a 53 3.2 auto Elite and love it, more to the point her indoors loves it (though she does not drive) got a few things to do to it extra sound deadening, new stereo that kind of thing.
    I don't talk about fuel economy it tends to depress me a little still on a run to France the other week got a whole 27mpg which was good I thought.
    It does seem to do quick if you want it to, and would always have auto over manual for sure.

I am rather on the generous side of big boned shall we say and it is very comfortable, if I get someone else to drive could quite happily sleep in the back. The seating arrangement seems very practical fold this and that etc.

Very impressed, never had VX before was always a ford bloke but no more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information