User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice please (1.8 vvti sri estate)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default advice please (1.8 vvti sri estate)

hi,
    just bought a 06 vectra estate and am having a few problems which i am hoping someone might be able to help me with.
    to start with i have filled the tank twice now and kept and eye on the fuel economy which is averaging at 21mpg??? i have read some other posts on the site and people are reporting avg's of 35 -40 mpg, does any one know what could be wrong as the man at perry's vauxhall said there's nothing anyone can do, it just does what it does but i cant see this to be true! some thing must be wrong?????? i haven't been hammering it either! i have been trying to get the mpg above 25 (which is still rubbish) by driving like a pensioner but still stays around 21-22?
    could the problem be the air flow meter as i read that some one had theirs replaced but theirs was recalled. any help would be so highly appriciated.

also, i am involved in an ongoing battle with vauxhall about a kind of rattle in through the clutch pedal when engaing/disenaging the clutch. this mainly happens tho which setting off with higher revs eg. hill starts. it makes a scratching/rattling noise and feel but vauxhall had a whole day and found NO FAULT. i took it to a back street garage and the mechanic got in, kept the hand brake on and within a minute said its probably a problem with the dual mass fly wheel?? so, armed with this knowledge i headed back down to vx. they didn't want to know and after some heated conversations ive got it booked in tomorrow to get re-assessed but ive got a feeling that they gonna say the same as before. what can i do??? if they dont agree with me im stuch with a hefty bill to get it fixed. do i complain straight to vx themselfs instead of thu perry's?
    i also took it to another vx dealers in the next town and alas the mechanic did here and feel my problem but said it was normal and it was the engine mounts or something. said that the engine shakes when engaing gear and so shakes and this is normal but its NOT NORMAL and really annoying when driving around all day. if any one has any advice on what i can do with either of my problems then PLEASE HELP ME.
    thaks in advanced.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

oh its a 1.8 vvti sri by the way.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

think i might have posted this in the wrong place. sorry

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Mpg and clutch

I am getting about 32mpg average - my aim is to get at least 400 miles out of a £50 tankful.
    I suppose it is a high powered petrol car (not so long ago, 1.8 = 90bhp, not 140bhp).
    Since it is now run in, I tootle around below 2000rpm as much as possible and change up early.
    The clutch on mine does make an unusual sound when being slipped e.g. at a junction or on a slope, but I've had cars make this noise before so it doesn't bother me.
    Ask your dealer to try another 1.8 and see if it the same as yours - don't Vauxhall do extended test drives. If so book yourself one compare notes.
    Good Luck
    Dave

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

If you have only just bought it then i would reject it as not fit for the purpose it was purchased under the "Sale of Goods act" LINK

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Although this may sound silly. Assuming your using the trip computer to determine your MPG - have you reset it lately??

I reset mine every time I fill up.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yeap, reset the bc every time i refill. had a mess around with the air flow meter today and reset one of the counters ands now im avg 25 mpg so its a start. as for the noisy clutch/flywheel manage to get the car booked in for a closer inspection with my local vauxhall dealers (perry's) in two weeks, this was authorised by the field engineer for vauxhall so dont have to pay anything (really happy!), i know they will find a fault as it is getting worse!, apart from these teething probs i really like my new car and would recommend one to others, probably the diesel engine though.
    thanks for the replys people.
    take care

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There's nothing wrong with it mate, I assume most of the driving is urban and that the trip ave speed reading is below 20 mph?

This is why I get so fired up when ppl post super figures, it not only makes others think hey whats up with mine, but can also ruin the car with a mechanic trying to fix what isn't broken, there's a rule of thumb with cars, if it's 1800 cc + it's going to return a very low 20 urban and around 25 mixed and 30 if you are at 55mph most of the day doing long journey's, the basic principal is that 4 pistons go around faster than 6, so although with 6 you fill more pots, they revolve less than 4 pots making up for the power loss, resulting in similar returns.

So the real problem is the 1800 is too small for the body, and has to work harder than say a 2.2, and they have always been the engine to avoid anyway, that's why it's always the heavy discount offer of the range, just live with it mate and next time get a diesel if you want better economy.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers for all the replies. going to have to live with the fuel economy as it was my mistake to get another petrol car. the price was good though so may be its a 'swings and round abouts' case. still gutted with the power output (torque really) of the car but you are right about the 1.8 struggling to pull such a big car around. lesson learnt. apart from that i do actually really like my new car and am now going to enjoy it and do a few mods to make it 'my car'.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Might be wrong, but didn't think the 1.8 had a dual mass fly wheel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information