Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Signum Rear Shocks

Hi All,

When my Signum was MOT'd in Sep 06, the tester noted that the OSR shock was damp around the shocker. Now I’m getting a loud knocking noise when I’m driving over uneven roads. I’m considering replacing both shocks myself, but as yet I have not been able to find the torque settings for the attaching bolts. Can anyone please help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the top bolt is tightened to 90NM, and the lower is tightened to 150nm...

Sockets you'll need is E20 torx ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i thought the bolts were differant sizes top and bottom, is one not E18 and the other is as you said Gsi?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i wasn't100% sure sundance..i seemed to remember it was, but until i got back to work and picked one up again i wasn't going to post that if i wasn't sure..

the top one will be E18 then, as i know for deffo the lower one that screws into the hub assy is E20..

EDIT... going outside to C's siggy now to take a peeky..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My 3.2 passed its MOT with both back shockers gone but when you went over certain tyes of road it sounded like Rolf Harris "twanging a bit if sheet metal!" and the back end bouncing all over the place. I got it done on my Network Q warranty but was told the ordinary VX warranty didn't cover it. I asked them if VX should recall them as it had only done 17k but was told not enough have gone. It seems to me just on this site that plenty go far too quickly. Is there any way we can attack VX and get better upgraded shockers out of them as a recall does anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I see that you have a picture of the guy that designed vectra and signum rear shocks in your signature ........... tee hee

Well, they do seem to be a common problem and I have had mine changed not long ago. I was in two minds about getting VX ones again as there are probably better after market ones available, mine were so bad they had to be done quickly so didn't have a chance to shop about.

One of mine dropped it's entire contents on to the driveway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Smile

Thanks for the prompt responses regarding the torque loadings, for my rear shocks. Looking around the net, there does, at least from a consumer’s point of view, appear to be a problem with these Shock Absorbers. Mine have lasted 30K so compared to j13hdb’s 17K, perhaps I should think myself lucky. Over the past 24 years the only time I’ve ever changed shocks was after 80k; what’s the bet Vauxhall say I’ve been very lucky then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Similar to me, I have had to change shocks on a 12 year old mini because of corrosion. I had a volvo with 140k on it and they were fine on that.

The VX shocks are pants

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Over the easter break my Signums rear left shock gave up... it did have a 'thump' sound for a while but I took it out and it made a horendous noise over undulations in the road let alone pot holes!. My car is a 2004 reg woth just a couple of months to go untill its 3 years old. Looking at the warrent shocks arnt covered on years 2 and 3, but I asked the guys at my local garage if its a warrenty job as its only done 30k miles, they road tested it and the guy there said he would get a 'case number' and check it out. both rears were replaced under waranty makes me wounder if VX know the problem and won't take the matter further if you ask if there is a known problem??

Got the car back (i think it is quieter than ever now)

only problem was i was following a lorry on the way back and got a stone chip and crack ah well something always goes wrong when you take your car back from the garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
    only problem was i was following a lorry on the way back and got a stone chip and crack
    If you have the VRN of the lorry then you can use the legal protection on your fully comp policy and have them reclaim your excess AND any other costs (including to/from windscreen fitting, phone costs, etc)
    I did this when a metal pole was dropped a lorry on the M6 and pierced the windscreen on my previous Vectra "hello pole, did you really want a comfortable seat beside me?"
    Clearly the lorry driver had no idea they had lost the pole, but the Police apparently weren't too impressed!

Thread Information