Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default VectraV6CDTi meets Spoons

I popped up to see Spoons and D today for a chat and a blast in the cars. Well it was nice to again see the legend that is the VXRD . Steve has spent so much time and effort into his car and it is an absolute credit to him .
    Well Steve took me out for a spin in the VXRD....well......... ...................you know what I mean if you have been out with him . Steve says it still not quite finished and it needs the dampers to finish it off, but bl00dy hell.......DOES THAT CAR HANDLE.....Vectra's just arnt supposed to go round the corners like that . But this does......Unbeliveable..... and Steve's brake set up is now brilliant also.
    Well we put our cars up against each other on the open road (nice private runway ) and TBH, there wasnt a lot between them. I think my car would have to get up to some very hgh speeds before it would begin to pull away. It doesnt make sense really as there is about 30bhp difference, but thats what happened.

Steves driving skills though played a part in it too.
    "Some say the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring.......all we know is, he's called The Spoons."

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VectraV6CDTi View Post
    "Some say the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring.......all we know is, he's called The Spoons."

PMSL...

spoons

Thanks Andy....

The objective from todays meeting with Andy, was to compare performance levels between his 220 bhp Tuned 3 litre Diesel, and my 188 bhp 1.9 litre Diesel, as I often post about how quick the 1.9 diesel is, compared to all sorts of cars, including the VXR.

By the way.. before anyone starts.... Andy was in the car with me, we weren't racing, and all the speeds were kept at the upper end of the legal limit, we just picked 'technical' routes to show the 1.9 performance.

I guess Andy wanted to see for himself what all the fuss was about, as some people say the 1.9 is quick, and some say it isnt... and he has never been in a remapped 1.9 diesel.

I think we established that 70% is the car, and 30% is driver technique. (or something like that).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    Thanks Andy....

The objective from todays meeting with Andy, was to compare performance levels between his 220 bhp Tuned 3 litre Diesel, and my 188 bhp 1.9 litre Diesel, as I often post about how quick the 1.9 diesel is, compared to all sorts of cars, including the VXR.

By the way.. before anyone starts.... Andy was in the car with me, we weren't racing, and all the speeds were kept at the upper end of the legal limit, we just picked 'technical' routes to show the 1.9 performance.

I guess Andy wanted to see for himself what all the fuss was about, as some people say the 1.9 is quick, and some say it isnt... and he has never been in a remapped 1.9 diesel.

I think we established that 70% is the car, and 30% is driver technique. (or something like that).

Yes we know what cars should and shouldnt do based on its power output etc....etc...... but the test is on the open road...
    The 3.0 V6 is a heavier car so power to weight isnt on my side. Both cars where rolling roaded on the same day so we know we can compare power outputs. If we were to take both cars out round the country lanes, the VXRD would be far quicker than my car, because of a) the much improved handling, b) less weight and c) steve's driving technique is much better than mine.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

so what do you think about the 1.9 cdti

are you a covert about them

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgettings View Post
    so what do you think about the 1.9 cdti

are you a covert about them
    TBH Chris, when I had a 1.9 150 on test for a few days there were things about it that I didnt like (hence why I went for the 3.0). Things such as I stalled it repeatedly, the lack of power below 1500rpm nearly killed me and it did feel a little jerky to drive compared to the 3.0. But Steve has assured me that fitting either a box or remap cures these problems. We both agreed today that the 1.9 150 (preferably tuned ) is an excellant package of performance and not forgetting the all important economy!! Tax is £135 (vs £195) and insurance cheaper.
    I cant see me shopping mine in for a 1.9 in the near future, but if I didnt have a Vec as was looking for one I think the 1.9 is a winner and would probably consider one .
    The main thing that lets the 3.0 V6 down, which you can do absoluty nothing about is the weight, and this does impact on the handling..........it does handle quite well, but not as well as the 1.9

But Steve's car, I'll tell you now, that handling is ferking unbelivable, Steve aint said that much about it. If anyone gets a chance, ask him to take you out..........................that aint no Vectra..........is it?
    Last edited by VectraV6CDTi; 3rd March 2007 at 23:24.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well to see if the 1.9 150 insurance is actually much cheaper than the 3.0, I thought I'd get a comparision. I was amazed to find the 1.9 was only £2 cheaper for me with Privilege, who I'm currently with. . I think the 3.0 isnt bad at all compared with other engines, given its performance.

Also did a few others for comparision......

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Got my insurance renewed on 02 March this year got quoted £278 with RAC fully comp with 8 years NCB rang then up 2 pay for it and they knocked it down to £258 before i said a word (1.9 150 SRI Nav 06 plate).........bargain i say for me n wife

Quote Originally Posted by VectraV6CDTi View Post
    Well to see if the 1.9 150 insurance is actually much cheaper than the 3.0, I thought I'd get a comparision. I was amazed to find the 1.9 was only £2 cheaper for me with Privilege, who I'm currently with. . I think the 3.0 isnt bad at all compared with other engines, given its performance.

Also did a few others for comparision......

Thread Information