Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Heating Expert needed!!!

Anyone on here know about central heating systems, and the powerflushing thereof?

Cheers, Phil. With a leaky radiator........

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

never heard of that !?? whats the actual problem ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We've had a tiny hole appear in one of our radiators, by one of the spot welds. It's covered by British gas, who've ordered a new rad, but they reckon that pinholing can be caused by silt in the system, and have recommended getting it powerflushed, at a cost of £600! It should also fix our noisy boiler.
    I'm obviously not paying their stupid price, but wondered if it does make a difference, and if I can get it done cheaper.

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sounds expensive ! and probably little more than a posh hose pipe stuffed up the inlet and a takeoff where you would normally blead them ! are all the rads hot all over ?? if so , i doubt there is silt in them ! to save cash you could bleed them one at a time by draining them ! when the system is cold !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Try calling a local Corgi regisered plumber. The power flush does work and it will get rid of all the c**p tha has built up for about 1 day then it starts again.

I go round once a year and take all the rads off take them outside and flush them with a hosepipe. Takes about 2 hours and never have to worry about power-flushing. While they are off I also run the valves into a bucket to clear the pipes.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When I first moved in to our current house it hadn't been lived in for a year and several of the radiators didn't work because they were full of silt/sludge. British Gas powerflushed the system which took quite a while and involves putting about £100 worth of chemicals through the system. After that all of the radiators worked perfectly and still do 5 years later. The stuff that came out looked horrendous.

Before doing it the engineer drained some water off into a bottle which was completely black. He put a magnet at the bottom of the bottle and most of the stuff went to the bottom because it was full of iron from inside the radiators.

One other thing they had to do was change the pump because powerflushing all of the sludge and chemicals through it doesn't do it any good.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by SignumPhil View Post
    We've had a tiny hole appear in one of our radiators, by one of the spot welds. It's covered by British gas, who've ordered a new rad, but they reckon that pinholing can be caused by silt in the system, and have recommended getting it powerflushed, at a cost of £600! It should also fix our noisy boiler.
    I'm obviously not paying their stupid price, but wondered if it does make a difference, and if I can get it done cheaper.

Phil
    You can buy a flushing solution from B&Q that will do the trick to some degree. It really shifts the cr*p out of the system, but British Gas would not cover that method, only their own @ £600, surprise surprise. I would seek alternative quotes for sure and take it from there. As long as the other company is ACOPs registered, should be accepted by BG. Good Luck.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

powerflushing is recommended by most major boiler manufacturers now as part of the benchmark system. it can help to stop noisy boilers, helps systems to run better but also, worse case, put pinholes in all your radiators. we have had several systems where by flushing the radiators with harsh chemicals to remove the sludge has left weak points at the bottom af the radiator and shortly after refilling the system has caused leaks. so in my opinion, powerflushing should be done on new or nearly new systems as per benchmark and older systems are better off using sentinel x100 sludge remover. put it into your system, run it for a few hours or upto 24 if really mucky and then drain the system down and refill
    Wayne -

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by chunkster View Post
    powerflushing is recommended by most major boiler manufacturers now as part of the benchmark system. it can help to stop noisy boilers, helps systems to run better but also, worse case, put pinholes in all your radiators. we have had several systems where by flushing the radiators with harsh chemicals to remove the sludge has left weak points at the bottom af the radiator and shortly after refilling the system has caused leaks. so in my opinion, powerflushing should be done on new or nearly new systems as per benchmark and older systems are better off using sentinel x100 sludge remover. put it into your system, run it for a few hours or upto 24 if really mucky and then drain the system down and refill
    Spot on mate, I use Sentinel & it's been fine for 11yrs in my Combi, never had mine powerflushed.

As you say put the X100 in, you can run it for more than 24 hours btw, then empty the system again. So much crud will come out you'll be amazed it worked at all!

Then open the various drain points in sequence, and after opening each one, open the filling loop/header tank feed & run through until the water is clear from the drain point, then close everything & move on to the next drain point (most systems have several).

Drain the system again, refill & run for about 1/2 hour, then drain the lot, amazingly still more cr@p will come out! Refill but this time also putting in Sentinel Inhibitor & Descaler (X200 & X300 I think?).

These will then be permanently left in the system & will prevent scale & sludge build up, & also prevent corrosion & gas build up in the system.

After this it should run sweet as a nut, although if there is scale in the system it will take a few days to go quiet as the descaler takes time to act.

Keep bleeding the rads as well for a few days as it takes ages for the air to fully come out.

I would advise unless it's desperate to try to do this in summer only, this way you can have the heating off without everyone moaning that it's freezing & also if you encounter major problems it's not such a head ache in the summer as you'll only really be using the hot water at this time.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I love this forum.
    Such helpful folks, and you can always find someone who knows the answer!
    My system is 15 years old, so I suspect that powerflushing may cause more trouble than it fixes.
    I'll give it until May, when I don't need heating , and I think I'll follow Chunkster and Ion's advice.
    Last question, where's the cheapest place to buy the chemicals?

Thanks again for your help, chaps.

Phil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information