Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Vectra CDXi as a used car option

First time poster here so hi to all.

I previously had an 04 CDXi as a company car and loved the whole experience - well fitted and a blast to drive. Had it for 2 years and did 100,000kms before having to churn it under the company's lease set-up. Sadly I replaced it with the top of the range 06 Turbo Subaru Forester and its never quite measured up to the Vectra.

Anyways my job situ is changing and I need to source another car. Been looking at a range of new and used cars and noted that used CDXi's are going for very good prices here in Oz and thought I could do worse than to grab another one as a simple and low cost solution - as they say better the devil you know ?!?!

My question is ultimately what is everyone's experience with the V6 3.2 Vectra (of various global iterations) doing higher kilometers - as my previous one was a company car I never paid attention to servicing costs and alike, just told them to fix it

Obviously I'd be looking carefully at service history, doing the appropriate pre-purchase inspections and alike on any car I bought but I'd expect to have this car for 2 years tops and there's a number of very well priced CDXi in the 60,000-90,000kms bracket so I'd expect to be busting the 100,000km barrier during my ownership if I bought one of these.

Your ideas, experiences and input on the suitability of them as a used car and anything specifically to be aware of are greatly appreciated.

Ben...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In the UK we use the 3.2 vectras as police patrol cars.
    They easily cover 150,000 Miles (241,000KM) of HARD driving with no problems.
    Then the majority of them go onto private owners who continue to run them.
    The 3.2 doesnt exactly have to work very hard to haul the vectra around.
    As long as the engine has been serviced properly 100,000km is absolutely no problem at all.Thats only 62137 miles and thats about nicely run in !!!

And welcome to the site mate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Ben, I have a '03 CDXi manual in Bris Vegas that has now done 136,000km and still pulling like the freight train she is. Every 60,000km service is scary due to replacement of the timing belt, machining of the discs (and replacement of the rotors every second 60,000km).

I actually organised trade price servicing through a local Brisbane Holden dealer, which whilst of not much help to you, could be set up at a dealership closer to you perhaps.

Anyway, they are a good price now... but I shall leave it up to the experts here to advise you accordingly good luck....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd have no trouble recommending a 3.2 to you..my last V6 went to over 200,000 miles just with regular ( 10,000 mile) servicing..

they are great engines...and the spares over here at least, are really cheap for them..not that they need any that often.. change the water pump when the cambelt is changed and it'll be bombproof..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As Mark said with the belt and pump, also check the water quite regularly, heads can blow a gasket if neglected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the info all.

Just one query I recall with my previous CDXi the Holden dealership didn't do the belt at 60K and said it was due at 100K which seemed odd. Wasn't aware of the water pump replacement - seems the 60K service is a big $$$ affair.

I shall have a look at some examples and see if theres one I like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Welcome to the site mate. Where in Sydney are you.....North, south east or west of the bridge?

As you have mentioned be sure to look at the service history of any CDXi you are keen on. Obvioulsy if you are happy with that & the rest of the car looks OK get it. Also check if owned privately or a work car. You company car guys know what I mean. A privately owned example may have been better treated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm west of the bridge .... well west .... in the Lower Blue Mountains.

Yes I know all too well the abuse company cars get will bear that in mind when searching.

Thread Information