User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Boots....

spoons

Default New Boots....

Had a couple of Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres put on the old jalope today.

Took 3 burley blokes, loads of sweat, and a quiet word in my ear (to distract me) to get them on the rims !!...

Tyre fitters hate 19" Rims from Vauxhall, apparently they are a biatch with attitude to fit... BMW, Audi, Mercedes - no problem, Vauxhall = nightmare.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how they fair compared to the Continental Contact 2's that were on the car before. (They already 'look' nicer as they appear to be moulded more round the alloy rim... very tight).

Also, they had me drive the VXRD up onto a 2" block of wood as the hydraulic lifters couldnt get underneath as its too low !!!

The VXRD got a lot of attention whilst being there. One chap guesstimated that my 'VXR' number plate must be worth at least £1200-£1500 (I didnt like to tell him I only paid £250) - maybe thats where I can recoup some of the outragous depreciation when I come to sell it.
    Last edited by spoons; 28th February 2007 at 18:54.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

3 burley blokes and loads of sweat...........

YES YES YES i think iv've heard enough of that kind of talk

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by PIMM View Post
    YES YES YES i think iv've heard enough of that kind of talk

Oh yes, and forgot my actual point !!!

The tyre fitters told me that they had to buy a specific tyre fitting machine that can handle 19" rims. Apparently they cost around £4-5,000 so are not cheap, and not all tyre fitters have them

This means that some tyre fitters are trying to use machines that are not designed to handle 19" rims which is why some 19" rims are getting damaged.

Dont know how true all the above is, but it might be worth checking before you hand over your 19" wheels....

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post

Oh yes, and forgot my actual point !!!

The tyre fitters told me that they had to buy a specific tyre fitting machine that can handle 19" rims. Apparently they cost around £4-5,000 so are not cheap, and not all tyre fitters have them

This means that some tyre fitters are trying to use machines that are not designed to handle 19" rims which is why some 19" rims are getting damaged.

Dont know how true all the above is, but it might be worth checking before you hand over your 19" wheels....
    Best to check they have a nylon head on it as well, some have a metal head which will damage your alloy. I have had a morning of tyre swapping as well, my contact 2`s are now on the front . And a Khomo ecsta on my spare, colins tyres in Aberdeen, they can do up to 22" ... Oh yeah, and a 235 on a 19" wheel is tight in the spare wheel hole, and the mat is lifted slightly as well, but feels safer than a tin of foam when I am away and the wife is driving, a tin of foam won`t fix a shredded tyre ...

Thread Information