Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Peeling side skirts

When washing the car at the weekend I discovered that a section on one of my VXR side skirts.....

was cracking and about to peel off!

Went down to the dealer, as they had painted them, and showed the bodyshop manager. He looked closer and said that it looked like the skirt had some distortion in it (was slightly twisted underneath on the underside edge) and that had caused the paint to crack. He didn't think it was a pint defect. I could see what he was meaning and wondered how the hell that could have happened. As the damage was around the rear jacking point area then the obvious answer was that a jack hadn't been pushed far enough under the car and had caught the very inside edge of the skirt, causing it to take a lot of stress. Thing is, I hadn't jacked up the car near those points for yonks, and I would have noticed when washing the car in the past.

So I asked if the smart repair guy they use could do anything with it, He was there at the time so had a look and said he probably could. I went home, removed the skirt to give it to the guy yesterday and for him to get it done for Thursday/Friday - in time for this weekends East meet.

When I took off the skirt I saw that it was worse than I expected. There was paint missing from other parts which were nowhere near the main damaged area. It wasn't just the paint that was off, the whole primer (they come pre-primed) was off as well and showing the white plastic of the skirt.

Showed it to the smart repair guy and he didn't think it was right. So he showed it to the dealer guy later and he rang me back. He thinks that the skirt may be defective i.e the primer application and he's going to put a claim in with Vx. They painted it, but I supplied the skirts, so I need to get hold of the receipt for them. Andyvec supplied them and he's sorting out getting the invoice to me - cheers m8.

So I think they'll get a guy from Vx to have a look and hopefully authorise a new skirt and respray. The other thing I was thinking about a well, in relation to the skirt damage (which has only highlighted the problem more quickly) is that I have a feeling it may have happened when it was with them. The car's been in twice lately with rear suspension niggles. Once to be looked at, second time to have the parts fitted - so up on a jack/ramp twice recently. Depending on the ramp type, I wonder if the lifting arms haven't been pushed far enough under the car and the pads have caught the edge of the skirt. It must have been recently as I would have seen the cracked paint before.

I'm hoping that Vx and the dealer sort it all out with no problems. Until then I'm now driving around with one VXR skirt on the passenger side, and the original black plastic skirt on the driver's side! I didn't think it best to drive around for a week or longer with no side skirt and the rubber sealing strip that runs along the top of the skirt.

People will think I'm modifying in bits!, and can only afford to do one skirt at a time!!

I'm nipping down to the dealers shortly to pick up some other parts. I'll take a snap this time to show the problem as I just wanted to get it down to the dealer ASAP.

The other skirt hopefully shouldn't be affected as that was replaced later in the year after my Porsche incident and was painted elsewhere (as the dealer had closed their paintshop by then) - so if there was an issue with the skirt then hopefully it was just with the earlier batch. If it was a painting issue then that also shouldn't be a problem having been painted elsewhere - but it does sound like it's a primer problem from the factory.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Andyvec supplied them and he's sorting out getting the invoice to me - cheers m8.
    Received today - thanks again!

D

"Where the WIFE tells me", but mainly in the DOG HOUSE....
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hope it sorted soon mate...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Spoke to the guy at the dealer recently. Initially he thoughy they'd have to go to another Vx dealer to be painted (as it was a warranty claim) with them not having their paint shop any more. Of the two dealers that he mentioned, it wasn't going anywhere near the first and I'd had no experience with the other.

Anyway, the other day he said that Vx had approved for it to go off to the body shop they (the dealer) uses for painting (the place who did most of my painting/repairs last year) as it was a removable part. If it had been bodywork, Vx would have said it had to go to a Vx place to keep the corrosion warranty etc.

So, they're ordering a new skirt, getting it painted and I should have it back later next week.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think I'm talking to myself in this thread! - apart from you Micky m8.

Well for anyone interested, got the new skirt today all nicely painted so will be fitting it on Saturday - along with a few other bits and pieces! I want to leave it for a couple of days before I polish, seal and wax it - and it'll be easier doing it off the car.

D

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i see that they tryed to fob you off the first time round untill you took it off yourself and could see the full damage .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

who is this Duncan...??? he likes talking to himself...lol glad youve got it sorted out...the car will look alot nice with out those two toned side skirts ;p

"Where the WIFE tells me", but mainly in the DOG HOUSE....
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glad its sorted mate, Lets hope the sprayers a top man..........But as you said, id leave it a few days before waxing/sealing...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgettings View Post
    i see that they tryed to fob you off the first time round untill you took it off yourself and could see the full damage .
    Wouldn't say they fobbed me off Chris. It wasn't until the skirt came off that the other paint peeling (on the underside) was apparent. As soon as they saw that, and could look closer with the skirt off, they immediately suspected a primer fault and dealt with it accordingly. I've got no gripe with how they dealt with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    who is this Duncan...??? he likes talking to himself...lol glad youve got it sorted out...the car will look alot nice with out those two toned side skirts ;p
    lol - yep
    Quote Originally Posted by armoured farmer View Post
    Glad its sorted mate, Lets hope the sprayers a top man..........But as you said, id leave it a few days before waxing/sealing...
    Painters were the people who did my other repairs - top notch people and they've done a nice job on the skirt. But it wasn't the painting that was the problem - the skirts come ready primed from the factory and it was this that was faulty and hadn't adhered to the plastic properly, so the paint never stood a chance!

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

looks like it'll be a busy day on saturday then....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information