User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congestion - What to do about it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Congestion - What to do about it?

Following on from this thread:

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=19488

Congestion is a problem and is going to get worse. So, just how should we tackle it?

Do you/would you use more public transport if it was cheaper and more reliable?

Mr Blair says he wants to involve the motoring public in the debate, can clubs like ours have a say in this debate? I don't see why not. Perhaps if enough people like ourselves come up with reasoned arguments and plans for the way forward, we might at least get heard on the subject.

So let's come up with a strategy that we can all agree in principle and when the time comes put it forward.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Why not introduce a compulsary driving test every 5 years, that would make the roads safer, keep people up to date with rule changes etc and probally reduce the number of licence holders.
    Another option is why bother doing anything about it at all, as the roads get more congested people will think twice about using their cars.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What I would say is that this Public Transport Nivarna that our politicians keeps bleeting about is never going to happen, how many times have we heard the phrase "money to improve public transport".

Buses are terrible, a relative of mine works for Greater Manchester Public Transport Authority (GMPTA), who admits it is run by people who can't get a job in industry, without Govt money they would be bust in 1 month, the salaries for management for ridiculously high and apart from spending mega bucks on new things cannot come-up with anything new.

£10K, Yes £ 10 000 was spent on 6 new Recycling bins at one station to seperate waste.
    The waste collection guys come and empty all 6 into one wagon, what is the point of that. The management ignore the fact, saying that once the waste leaves their site it is nothing to do with them.
    2 weeks later the £ 10 K bins were nicked by Gypos.

And these people are running our public transport, they couldn't run a bath.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My personal view on public transport is I use it when it saves me time AND/OR money.

For instance for me to get to one of my sites in Manchester takes me 1.5-2 hours from Newcastle way depending on traffic. Train the quickest I can do is 5 hours, by bus it just is a laughable. This is from the centre of a town or city which SHOULD have good public transport.

On the other hand driving to London I get the train from Darlington which is 20 minutes from me via. car, 2.5 hours down to Kings Cross, then underground all the way. Wouldn't have it any other way, public transport all the time. I wouldn't drive a car around London due to the underground IS good. Just like our Paris office I wouldn't drive around that either, too much chew, underground all the way.

BUT I feel it is far to unfair to base the entire country on London's transport system. The rest of the country is no where near as good or as well connected as London.

Another prime example I live over near Whitby in North Yorkshire. I had a 4 week job in Hull contacted, our lass came down with me, and left at the end of the weekend. A train for 60 miles approximately took......5 hours..... Hour and half WORST by car.

You can't get people out of their cars and onto public transport if it simply isn't there to do what you want.

Taxi's arn't they answer (Sorry VV) as they are expensive trying to get from your house at a sensible time, to the train station for a decent fee. 20 mile journey after 12pm for me on a night out is £45 friggin quid! How?!

Roads will have to be extended. It is possible, where they are going wrong IMO are they are doing these road extensions and extending the roads by 1 lane. 1 lane!!!! What's that going to do? Hold off the traffic for 2-3 years?

My road usage I would say is average businessman...

Mr. Blair says he wants to involve the public in the debate. But he has already had a petition for 1.8 million from voters saying they do NOT want this charging fee. But he has in short basically said that it is still going forward....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigcol View Post
    Why not introduce a compulsary driving test every 5 years, ...
    I started a thread RE this a couple of weeks ago.....I agree totally....may not help reduce congestion really - but a good idea all the same!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think a study needs to be done to understand WHY congestion is getting worse. What are its root causes? Why are there so many MORE millions of cars on the road compared with 1997? For example are people being forced/encouraged to work a long way from home? or has public transport become so overpriced that its cheaper to own and runa a car? or are cars lasting alot longer? Instead of trying to persuade us off the roads by charging us for the right, we should tackle the reasons why its happening first.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI NAV XP

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 72K

Angry Congestion - a way of making money

Any plans to charge for road use will affect most those who can least afford to pay it - like me and make motoring something only the better off can afford, forcing those most affected to use trains and buses which will not provide a better service than they do now - just look what this government has done to education. Now that the smokers have been hammered and ostracised, motorists will be next!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think that the railways should take on more freight, or at least be able to take artics on? This would surely ease things a little?

What about the canals? There's more miles of canal in the UK than there are motorways, why can't these be opened back up for more freight use?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The public Transport is now in free fall IMO. Some time ago I dropped my car off (not the Vec) at a local garage I use regularly. It's 7 miles from home (about 10 minutes). I decided to get the bus home rather than wait....2 hours, 3 buses and £7.00 later!

Next time I got a taxi...£5 and 10 minutes.

When I was a bit younger and didn't drive...(no jokes there) I knew I could go to a bus stop and catch a range of buses that ran every 15 minutes to get me to my destination. Now it takes 30 minutes to read the time table and work out which schedule you on and then realise I have another hour to wait for a bus that might or might not arrive.

As john CDTI said If Public transport can save me time and/or money I'll take it. That is a rare case these days.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigcol View Post
    Why not introduce a compulsary driving test every 5 years, that would make the roads safer, keep people up to date with rule changes etc and probally reduce the number of licence holders.
    Another option is why bother doing anything about it at all, as the roads get more congested people will think twice about using their cars.

Why not start at the root of the problem - up the age at which you can drive say 21 years and after third fail you don't take anymore tests ever! Also lower the age at which your licence is revoked say 65 years. The added bonus would be more mature/safer drivers & cheaper insurance).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information