0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black Vectra Paintwork

Just wondering, do any of you with black Vectras find the paintwork is a bit "thin" particularly at the front bumper etc.

reason I ask is, I was working on a 55 plate pre-facelift 2.2 Direct SRi in work yesterday, and noticed the front bumper had about 40 stone chips, literally 40 dots of white on the bumper, where the black paint was missing, and this car had only done 23,500 miles. it was what I can only nickname as stone-chip city lol

whereas in comparison my dads 54 plate 2.0 DTI Energy which has 71,000 miles and is used as a taxi has a near perfect front bumper, or 100% perfect in comparison with this black car.

black vectra was maybe going to be a consideration for my next car, but after this not so sure, just wondered whether it was common on black ones?

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

black just shows it worst, as the undercoat they use is white..hence why silver cars don't show their chips so bad..you should see my ultra blue one..road rash city....

it's only done 36,000 but gets a front end re-paint every year....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, I'm a car valeter and this black 1 was going in our forecourt lineup, when I was powerwashing it thats when I noticed the stone chips (yes it was THAT dirty), originally I thought it was me blasting the dirt off too close and taking the paint off too till I done the back bumper at the same closeness and never spotted any white dots on the paint.

for a 71K taxi you'd be amazed then how little stone chips my dads cars got, could count them on 1 hand in saying that it is silver

also, reason I asked about the paint is we get a lot of black corsas and clios in as trade ins (being a citroen dealer) and even at 50K miles they have hardly any stone chips, whereas this vectra had loads.
    Last edited by Hendry; 18th February 2007 at 17:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hendry View Post
    for a 71K taxi you'd be amazed then how little stone chips my dads cars got, could count them on 1 hand in saying that it is silver
    LOL...for my GSI, you'd need the fingers and toes of a rugby team..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hendry View Post
    lol, I'm a car valeter and this black 1 was going in our forecourt lineup, when I was powerwashing it thats when I noticed the stone chips (yes it was THAT dirty), originally I thought it was me blasting the dirt off too close and taking the paint off too till I done the back bumper at the same closeness and never spotted any white dots on the paint.

also, reason I asked about the paint is we get a lot of black corsas and clios in as trade ins (being a citroen dealer) and even at 50K miles they have hardly any stone chips, whereas this vectra had loads.

I did that as well back in the day, and also scrapped a GB sticker that had gone hard and flakey off as well with the paint under it, could have boiled it off, but the dealership manager was ****ing me off at the time, so I did what any self respecting grunt would do, I hurt him in the profit margin. hehehehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the black seems to chip easily, and trouble is it really shows. I had grey B SRi before my current black C Elite and that did not seem to chip as much (with similar driving).

I've also got a (touched up) scratch/dent in the bonnet from a golf-ball sized stone that hit me on the M4 just a couple of months after I bought the car - was not pleased . Was fortunate in some ways it bounced over the screen though 'cos if it had hit direct I'm sure it would have cracked it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be the black car was a motorway cruiser as opposed to the taxi which pottles around town.......stones hitting a car doing 70mph will do more damage than if it's 20 or 30mph......just a thought

On the thickness side Vauxhall paint tends to be fairly standard in thickness.....about 120microns on average (readings taken via Paint Thickness Gauge), now if you were talking about Honda.........now they have thin paint often as low as 70microns

Vauxhall paint is also on the soft side as opposed to Audi or Mecedes which are rock hard

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blr123 View Post
    Vauxhall paint is also on the soft side as opposed to Audi or Mecedes which are rock hard

Bryan
    have to agree with you again Bryan....My Gsi has had a front end respray with ICI paints and laquers..it still chips, but no-where like as bad as before..they seem much tougher..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    have to agree with you again Bryan....My Gsi has had a front end respray with ICI paints and laquers..it still chips, but no-where like as bad as before..they seem much tougher..
    Although after a respray the paint thickness is generally a lot thicker than factory applied could be as much as 80 to 100+ microns...........we have seen it as thick as 1200microns that's more than a mil thick, the thickness is also a good indicator of how good the paint is aswell........1200 not very good eh

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to touch up my front bumper everytime i wash the car, it seems to me the paint is very thin indeed, i might even take it back and see if they will apply a second coat. it does stand out a mile with the black car and white primer, its a nightmare
    Wayne -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information