Thread: Had my boot spoiler fitted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Had my boot spoiler fitted

..........and I'm not happy! Worst thing is its a bodyworker from work. Asked him at least 3 times if he was sure he coukl do it and that I wouldnt be offended if he said no. The paint job is terrible (I think so anyway) like a kind of shimmery orange peel effect.Feels smooth but looks dimply. Is this due to non rubbing down or pressure set incorrectly? The spoiler is set back 5mm too much, so much so that the standard lip spoiler (which had come away slightly like others on this forum) wont quite push flat against the boot.I'm going to try it with new tape and see.What do you think the best way to remedy the whole job? Obviously 3 holes (the centre one would have to be moved cos the spoiler isnt flexible enough) cant be re-drilled because they would be too close to the 'old' ones.I'm thinking. because the spoiler would have to be re-sprayed that the best option would be to sand the leg of the spoiler a few mill. that would give the room for the lip spoiler to push flat. Any more ideas?
    Incompetence and no pride in your work really annoys me...sorry had to get that off my chest
    Ta
    Johny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thats not good is it....

if it's got an orange peel effect there are quite a few reasons why it could occur..but he should have flatted back the basecoat before laquering it anyway..

If you can oval the holes a bit that will let you miove the spoiler forwards, but if you're painting it again then i'd do a combination of the 2..chamfer the legs slightly and oval the holes, it'd be less noticable then...

try removing the lip spoiler and seating again, it should be easy, but use a razor blade or stanley knife blade under the lip spoiler to cut the trim tape off, otherwise you risk bending the spoiler when you try to take it off..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    thats not good is it....

if it's got an orange peel effect there are quite a few reasons why it could occur..but he should have flatted back the basecoat before laquering it anyway..

If you can oval the holes a bit that will let you miove the spoiler forwards, but if you're painting it again then i'd do a combination of the 2..chamfer the legs slightly and oval the holes, it'd be less noticable then...

try removing the lip spoiler and seating again, it should be easy, but use a razor blade or stanley knife blade under the lip spoiler to cut the trim tape off, otherwise you risk bending the spoiler when you try to take it off..
    Hi GSI3.2
    Yep I'd thought about ovaling the holes, do you think the spoiler wouldnt move back if tightened enough? Probaly ovalling and giving me another couple of mill. would be enough to push the lip spoiler flat and the holes in the boot (looking from underneath) would look ok.I dont want to 'sand' down preferably.
    Johny
    Johny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the bolts normally bed down into mastic seal under the bootlip, so if you do oval they will stay put..and you're right, reshaping the foot of the spoiler is something i'd try to avoid as well..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

what a scum bag i hate bodgers who say they can and will do anything for a few quid and when they knack up all you get is a "sorry mate" hope you can sort it !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Rang VX today and they quoted me £129 vat included for re-spraying my spoiler, but they cant guarantee the paint job 'cos its not an Irmscher spoiler, said something about cheap ones may soak up the paint causing blistering.Is the one from autotint (imac) cheap.?..The price itself doesnt seem too bad especially when 'other' bodyshops are charging around the £90 mark. Whatcha think?
    Johny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

eerrmm..i've never heard that line before....

causing blistering..no, silicone causes blistering....

I'd go with VX purely because you'll have more 'comeback' if it's a poor job..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry GSI he said micro-blistering if it makes any difference lol
    My mistake was £120 not £129 sounds even better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yep, micro blisters would be silicones.. he means it prob wasn't cleaned up enough to get the mould release agent off it....

I'd still go the VX route..

Thread Information