Thread: boost gauge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default boost gauge

I have just bought a boost gauge and was wondering if someone could post a pic of where they have connected the vacuum hose to, or even tell me where abouts to connect it. Cheers

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, I did this a while back - must get a How 2 up on the forum as I've got all the piccies!

If you haven't seen them already, I had a few threads going on the subject. I'll sort out the pics and be back in a minute.

Main install thread

Wiring in the gauge illumination

Pics of all installed

D

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Remembered I hadn't posted up the pics.....

Here you can see the white T-piece and where it taps off at.

Either cut the bit of hose that is there already, or get another short bit from a car shop (Halfords sell it by the metre) and cut that. I did the latter so that I had the original one with Saab on it to put back if need be.

I then routed the tube around the engine bay (to the left of the airbox) and through this grommet under the wiper assembly (wiper needs to come off and scuttle plate).

Then you can get to it from behind the dashboard to route it to wherever your gauge is going.

HTH

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this is the way i connected it and my dump valve no longer dumps, could the pressure difference in the vac hoses be causing this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by icetrix View Post
    this is the way i connected it and my dump valve no longer dumps, could the pressure difference in the vac hoses be causing this?

I doubt it as the gauge is a sealed unit and shouldnt let out any air. I would double check your connections - try putting a small amount of water on them and see if you can see any bubbles. Also, my own experience is with the z20 let fitted to the Astras, where the feed is taken for the dump valve - does that pick show the feed from the OE dump valve to the intake? - can effect the car with bad running in the mid range. In the end I moved the take off to the fuel pressure regulator, and whilst the car ran better it still wasnt right so the dump valve was removed. Modern cars use the OE dump valve as a re-circ valve so tapping into this can effect the way the car runs. Please note that I have no experience of the Saab engines though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by icetrix View Post
    Did ya try taking the vacume pipe for the boost gauge of lad and see does she dump again?
    iv a boost gauge here at the house for my wagon but still not sure where i want it to sit, dont want it really sittin out a mile want it nice and suttle as if its just another part of the car, like the way yours is positioned have a carbon fibre mounting pod for the A-pilarbut dont know if it'll look good or not
    if ya ever sell that dump valve and i have the cash lyin about put my name down for first dibs on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yeah dumps if the vacuum for the boost gauge is disconnected, will have to try find another place to tap into, i think its the pressure coming back from the gauge when i lift off the acc that is just enough pressure to stop the spring from compressing, forge are sending me a weaker spring and tuning and servicing kit, so will see if that makes a difference first

Thread Information