Thread: Using Oil - update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Using Oil - update

Further to my earlier post, car went into my local main dealer and they topped it up with oil and expected me to pick it up (after about an hour) - not a mention as to WHY it was using oil in the first place. I complained that it wasn't good enough so the receptionist said - "I'll ring you back". After 10 minutes she did saying - and I quote "I just spoke to the technician and he said that it was quite normal and, in fact, the handbook mentions that the car could use a litre of oil for every 1000 miles, so your car has quite a low oil consumption". I'm going to pick the car up now and hopefully speak to the head technician to get his views. I did tell the receptionist that I intended to contact Vauxhall direct.

What do you think should be my next move?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The book figure is about 1 pint every 600 miles, it actually states 0.6 l every 1000 km.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Oil Consumption- 3.2 V6 Gsi

Evening,

I only use half a litre in between services, my car hardly uses any, bye the way its fully synthetic oil which comes from vauxhall, what do you GSI/3.2 chaps report.

JCB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Topref View Post
    Further to my earlier post, car went into my local main dealer and they topped it up with oil and expected me to pick it up (after about an hour) - not a mention as to WHY it was using oil in the first place. I complained that it wasn't good enough so the receptionist said - "I'll ring you back". After 10 minutes she did saying - and I quote "I just spoke to the technician and he said that it was quite normal and, in fact, the handbook mentions that the car could use a litre of oil for every 1000 miles, so your car has quite a low oil consumption". I'm going to pick the car up now and hopefully speak to the head technician to get his views. I did tell the receptionist that I intended to contact Vauxhall direct.

What do you think should be my next move?
    Because Engines use oil!! And yes they can use a litre per 1000 miles, they also use fuel.....would you expect the dealer to pay for that too!! What engine and year is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Some do use more than others, unfortunately that figure you gave is what VX say is ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my current veccy c is the first not to use at least half a litre per thousand miles. So far 5400 miles and NONE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I use minimal oil between services...but like Sundance said, all engines are designed to use oil..the amount varies dependant on the engine...no engine uses NO oil..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I was suggesting the book figure was a typo and I would never suggest an engine uses no oil- but should last between services. A pint every 600 miles seems to be a catch all But I would not say an engine is designed to use oil. That is what we put fuel in for.

My colleague at work said it was Ford policy to fill to the top mark on the dipstick at PDI'S. Vauxhall fill to the midway point?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

LOL.. the beauty of the internet and the comprehension of anothers written word....

The book figure is a bit of a misnomer..It's there as a guideline figure..Some engine designs use little or no oil..the Z22se and it's derivate are known for using a bit more oil than say the Z32se..It's drawn down into the combustion chamber by way of the valve guides commonly..

VX's PDI guide is to top the oil up to the max line on the dipstick..if yours was delivered short then i would suggest it received the 20/20 PDI....20yards away to 20 minutes work..not all dealers are as concentious as they could be..I've seen it happen..

Thread Information