Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Has the dealer put the right tyres on my Veccy

I went in to the dealers last week for a quote on Michelin 225/45/19 Y tyres. The dealer looked at mine and noted the Bridgestones size and were rated at 96Y. When I asked about having a W rated tyre, was told NO, the ones on the car are the recommended ones so opted to stay with y rated.

Car went in on Friday and I assumed that the tyres were correct on the Front. I looked at them at home and they had fitted 225/45/19 91W . Called the garage
    and was told that it was fine as the rating difference between W & Y is not affected in this country. Well W is rated upto 168mph, no problem there then and Y is rated up to 186mph.

The bit I am now concerned about and did not understand until today is the load rating. 91 is for up to 615kg and 96 is up to 710kg. A tyre's load multiplied by 2 must cover the gross single axle load of your vehicle. I have checked the manual and it can not find what the load rating should be or the nett/gross axle weight.

In essence if leave these tyres on the front or I put these tyres on the back and am fully loaded in my estate with passengers & luggage will the tyres burst(theoretically). Any help is appreciated guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You have a 3.0 V6 CDTI, and so XL (reinforced) tyres MUST be used
    Contact the dealership ASAP, then return to the dealership and get them changed
    You may also need to contact your insurer, as in the event of a total loss claim, the policy could be deemed to be nul and void

I looked into this when I was considering replacing the Good Year NCT5 215/50 R17 95W XL tyres on mine
    I found some alternatives, and also checked up on the requirement for 95W, but my insurer legal advice line (Groupama) advised as above
    It took the 3 days to confirm it, phoning me back each day to say they were still working on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by willc01 View Post
    The bit I am now concerned about and did not understand until today is the load rating. 91 is for up to 615kg and 96 is up to 710kg. A tyre's load multiplied by 2 must cover the gross single axle load of your vehicle. I have checked the manual and it can not find what the load rating should be or the nett/gross axle weight.

In essence if leave these tyres on the front or I put these tyres on the back and am fully loaded in my estate with passengers & luggage will the tyres burst(theoretically). Any help is appreciated guys.
    You're almost there, but it's about the cornering loads, under braking
    The rear tyres aren't the problem, it's the fronts
    Example :
    In the event you make an emergency brake application, while cornering to the left, the offside front right tyre can increase in load equivalent from 25% to 40% (an in extreme cases to 50%)
    The nearside rear tyre load decreases from 25% to just 10% (and in extreme cases to 0%, where the tyre actually leaves the road surface)

Since 50% is the maximum possible, take the GROSS vehicle weight and divide by 2

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't think there is a problem with the speed rating you have as W should be fine.

As for the load rating, Cabby will be able to offer a lot of input on this as he recently has a bit of a mare with tyres being fitted with the wrong load rating!!

On 17s you need the 95 rating, but on the 19s Cabby couldn't find any 95 rated - I wonder if he'll be surprised to see that you've got 96 in 19s! The place that fitted his fitted 89s!!!!! when they shouldn't have and he had these shred on him, including one blowing out on the motorway!

After discussions with the tech guy at Bridgestone (and the guy coming to see him) he confirmed that the tyres that had been fitted were he wrong load so Cabby got that all sorted out by the supplier - and the guy, I'm sure, confirmed that 91 is a sufficient rating for 19s.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I don't think there is a problem with the speed rating you have as W should be fine.

As for the load rating, Cabby will be able to offer a lot of input on this as he recently has a bit of a mare with tyres being fitted with the wrong load rating!!

On 17s you need the 95 rating, but on the 19s Cabby couldn't find any 95 rated - I wonder if he'll be surprised to see that you've got 96 in 19s! The place that fitted his fitted 89s!!!!! when they shouldn't have and he had these shred on him, including one blowing out on the motorway!

After discussions with the tech guy at Bridgestone (and the guy coming to see him) he confirmed that the tyres that had been fitted were he wrong load so Cabby got that all sorted out by the supplier - and the guy, I'm sure, confirmed that 91 is a sufficient rating for 19s.

D
    I have a 2.0T Edition 100, and that car, and the Active 1.8 before it both had tyres with 91W rating fitted. Does that mean I should always replace them with tyres of at least the same rating? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As for the load rating, Cabby will be able to offer a lot of input on this

Bit below the belt innit D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

definately fella ! bad things can happen if you dont !! its just not worth the risk !!

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As above - definitely! Don't put on a load rating that is less than what the car comes with as standard.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

225/45 x 19 is a strange size as well, the 19`s usually run 235/35`s ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Bainie View Post
    225/45 x 19 is a strange size as well, the 19`s usually run 235/35`s ??
    Bu**er, sorry guys, should have been 225/45/18. I have 18" not 19" wheels, must have been dreaming about them as I typed.

Have spoken to VxCC but they don't know either. Told I'd get a call back from technical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information