Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Runaway Engine

I thought I'd share my recent experience with everyone. I drive a 1 year old 1.9 CDTi 150 Design estate and I love it. However, after its first service (and I mean right after - i.e. I was on my way home after picking it up), I got about a mile up the road when the engine started racing to full rpm, so I pulled over and switched off the ignition. Being a diesel, I guess I wasn't too surprised when nothing happened. It went into a kind of loop where it would race to full chat for about 10 seconds then back off for 2 or 3 and then rev up again with clouds of thick white smoke pouring out the back. Honest to God, I've never felt so powerless in my life - I mean what can you do? Well, I got out and called the fire brigade on 999. I was half way through trying to describe what was going on when the engine finally cut out. There was a large pool of fresh engine oil under it which I assume had been vented or a hose had burst or something.

The local Vauxhall dealer recovered it and kept it for about a fortnight. I collected it last Friday and they told me they'd had to change the engine. As it's a company car (and was still under warranty anyway) I wasn't too fussed. I asked the garage what had caused it and there was a kind of embarrassed silence. Now, I'm not pointing the finger but it's kind of funny that after a year of completely trouble free driving, something like this happens straight after a service.

Anyone encountered such a thing or care to speculate on what the cause might have been ('cos the garage is doing a passable impression of Johnny Tightlips)?

Cheers, MSJ

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It does sound a bit suss doesn't it matey. Have a chat with the Leasing Company and see what they've been told.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

pure white smoke is unburnt diesel..blueish tinge is engine oil... it was running on an unchecked supply of either of those..so either you had a common rail injector hanging open flooding diesel in to the engine, or you had excess engine oil finding it's way into the air intake ( through breather hoses) and it was 'running away' on that..

obviously did a bit of damage with it running at max RPM, as they wouldn't normally think of changing the engine just for that...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The smoke was definitely white - almost like steam and plenty of it, so I guess it was diesel. Well, I'm giving serious consideration to buying the car from the lease company when it expires (2 years to go) so it's kind of nice to think the engine'll have done 14,000 miles less than the rest of the car.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This has just happened to me engine revved to full ,got it choked in 6th gear !Oil level had risen on dipstick so there must of been fuel got into the oil and therfore force the oil through a breather back in to the inlet! Changed the oil engine running fine but now it fills the road with white smoke ! Any ideas any one?

Thread Information