Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Camera Lens Question ..

The wife has taken up photography, and for her birthday I was thinking to get her a lens. She has a canon eos film camera, and I was looking at a 75-300mm usmIII job, couple of questions though, is this a decent size for a zoom lens & where to get it ? oh yeah, and do you need the usm motor if you aren`t a twitcher ? I got the camera from america, and with a couple of $ to the pound looks like the lens would be best from there as well ? or is there a cheap place to get them here, had a good around but the prices seem to vary hugely but aren`t close to the good ole US of A ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It depends what you want to take photos of really, there is a Sigma which is probably around similar price but with a bit more of a Range (28-300mm) Personally I have a variety of lenses, not as many as some people...
    I've never used the 75-300 personally, I do have the 90-300 though and its a useful lens to have when you need that little bit more reach.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com Might be a Useful site for lenses, there is a lot of variety and they arent too badly priced. There are a few manufacturers that produce lenses for the Canon EF fit that is found on the EOS range of Film and Digital Cameras. Tamron and Sigma are good alternatives to the Canon Range, You may be able to find a Second hand Bargain on Fleabay amongst various online and local shops - and sometimes they are a similar or better Quality than some canon Lenses, I have found this with some canon stuff and their sigma equivalent

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers mate, she has a 30-80 at the moment, so I was guessing 70-300 would be a good second lens, often see`s things she would like to take but can`t get close enough. Is the difference between a 90-300 and a 70-300 just the distance you start with ? I did see a few on flea bay, but there was mentions of mould & dust inside them, and i didn`t want to buy a cr@p one, she needs all the help she can get without a duff lense *lol* I will have a look at your link, cheers ...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can't really add to what Phil said Tommy - it depends what you/she will be using the lens for. In reply to your question a 90-300 will start more zoomed in ('closer') than a 70-300. Difference between 70 and 90mm is not that much really. I've never been a fan of the huge range lenses like 28-300, and even the 70-300mm. Whilst they are handy due to having that range in one lens, the downside is that they will be slower i.e. have a smaller (bigger number) maximum aperture so won't let as much light in. This will also get smaller as you zoom to the larger focal length. The other downside is that they are big lenses and you/she may get tired of carrying around this sort of lens all the time - especially on something like a 28-300. Imagine carrying around that all the time as your wide-angle lens!

Edit: I have a 70-200 which is a very nice focal length, and add a 2x multiplier when needed to then get a 140-400mm. As the 70-200 is a very fast (f2.8) lens it means it is still a f5.6 at 140-400. Downside is that particular lens is foopin' expensive as it's also an IS lens (Image Stabiliser). You can still apply the same principle to a lower priced 70-200 - you'll just lose a bit more light as they will have a smaller maximum aperture. There is a Canon 70-200 f4 (non IS) that you may be able to pick up for a decent price second-hand.

With reference to your question about USM. USM is UltraSonic Motor which refers to the way it focuses. USM lenses are very quick and quiet at focusing. You may have been meaning IS?, which is the feature for reducing shake but seriously bumps up the price of the lenses.

Also depends on how much you want to pay. Catch me on MSN if you want to have a better chat about anything and I'll try and help.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Pretty much what Duncan said really, Cant add much more. I do know what he means by weight of things, some of the lenses that are about do take a bit of muscle to carry around for a long time!!

Review of the 75-300 Here Just gives different opinions of the lens.
    Last edited by breezephil; 5th February 2007 at 20:36.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, I'd agree. If you were going for that sort of range, you may as well go for the 70-300. Slightly faster and you get slightly more in at the widest focal length. You just have to see if you/she is happy with the physical size and weight of the thing when you're holding it along with a camera body.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I bought a 75-300mm for my son as a christmas pressie (got it off e-bay £125 with a EOS 300 camera & 28-90mm lens all boxed as new!), I've got the same lenses as Duncan but they are serious bit's of kit. I'd say the 75-300mm usm would be a very good buy as a second lens (if you can find a 100-300mm USM 2nd hand on e-bay they are even better, just make sure it's the USM version)

Thread Information