Thread: Engine thermostat X18XE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Engine thermostat X18XE

So I replaced my thermostat with one from eBay yesterday, did a bit on the car, both lambda sensors, all filters and oil change. Didn't drop the coolant completely, refilled with correct colour fluid. I changed the engine water temperature sensor to whilst I had the thermostat in pieces.

Instantly got a reading on my dash from the stat after a drive around the block, when I came to drive away for the evening I didn't get a reading unless at the traffic lights when vehicle was stationary (very much like prior to stat change and on the way home my fluid dropped, enough to bring the coolant symbol on the dash. Removed header tank cap when I got home after a drive, had a few bubbles rising, topped up with water. From doing all the work the heater has got hotter ten fold. Haven't had any water drop today, but it's not got hot on the dashboard, but got heat bouncing through the car.

Have I got a dud stat? Only £10 for QH stat. I know a few lads have bought stats from auto factors and swapped X18XE on Vectra Cs and had the same issues after installing a brand new one.

Have I got an airlock? Is it worth running my engine with the cap off stationary to see if I can purge any air through the coolant system, wouldn't my heater be blowing cold if it was air locked.

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer,
    Cheers Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Double checked the wire is still connected to the CTS? You've not got a dud stat, as if you did you wouldn't be getting a hot heater. I would re swap the CTS for the old one and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Take the pressure cap off, switch the heater on, let the car warm up and start squeezing all of the big rubber pipes. If you have an airlock, that will shift it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you change the housing or just the thermotat? If just the stat, then you might find that it's not sealing against the inside of the housing, so allowing some coolant to pass even when the engine isn't hot - they tend to wear a groove over time. Which is why Vauxhall only supply thermostats complete with a new housing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jesus Christ I loved the Vectra til today.

Changed just that stat itself, like many people do. Kit didn't come with replacement gasket, use some gasket seal instead. I'm adamant the leak isn't coming from the stat housing.

Todays saga, drive to work fine. No issues, nip out for dinner. No issues, few hours later have to nip back out for materials and I've lost a fair bit of water, top up. Damp patch beneath coolant tank, drive home steam from left hand side of bonnet, and the engine temp display on the dash that is slowly increasing, not overheating but sitting at 90 degree and fluctuating slightly. When I let a little temperature evaporate once filler cap is removed, I pour more into the coolant tank simply to get me home and I tend to find its dripping underneath, quite badly. Water leaked quite badly on the way home 2/3 stops to fill up and let a bit of heat dissipate,

Car on drive with car blocking it in, I've had it idling and temp gauge has increased but no signs of boiling over. Quite a lot of water pumping from the throttle body hose (is that standard operation). When idling and water is put in, doesn't seem to leak it. I'm sure I didn't miss or get it in the overflow for the water to leak underneath.

MOT tomorrow, going to ask mech to look at it. Any clues so I can point him in the right direction? Have I maybe installed a dodgy stat or sensor? Could do with it being reliable as I have a 2hr drive at weekend to north yorks.

Any help much appreciated, many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm starting to think since I swapped the parts over the fan isn't kicking, I've tried the aircon and the fan doesn't spin. But I had 1/2 days trouble free driving (aside from slight water loss) prior to boiling coolant tank. Just come across this thread, and don't know if it is similar to my situation.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....orking.317775/

a) Faulty engine thermostat?
    b) Faulty temperature sensor?
    c) Radiator cooling fan switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Let the car cool completely, took it for a drive after letting it settle and coolant refilled. Drove fine, temp gauge didn't budge but neither did it rise. Got it home, lifted bonnet, coolant steady, no signs of boiling while car idling, cap removed letting pressure slowly escape, went to turn the engine off coolant flooding out of header tank, and temp rose whilst the car was running. Not a mechanic but tend to find I'm not to bad at resolving a situation, or atleast finding the right direction, but this shouldn't happen surely?

What have I got that isn't kicking the fan and causing the system to boil, and the temp gauge to not rise unless overheating?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Suggest you replace stat and housing,drain down via rad valve,when refilling squeeze top rad pipe to housing a few times to purge any air in pipes.then run engine and wait for temp to rise,turn heater to full heat,also check O-rings on filler cap to ensure pressure is held.

New housing unit comes complete with new gasket and temp sensor,rad fan will only cut in if rad gets to hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Without wanting to be sound unappreciative of your advice, I've replaced the stat and temp sensor and I'm adamant I've not got a leak on the housing. Can understand if you think I've fitted all stat and sensor and these are the foundations of my problems, is it a common occurrence these parts from come auto factors/eBay? I know other people have had success with replacing inner components and not had issues like I have. Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is there a hairline crack at the back of the over flow bottle? As the engine gets hot and builds up pressure in the cooling system, it is opening the crack and hence you are losing water? Check the seal in the pressure cap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information