User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electrical problem; power steering or is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Electrical problem; power steering or is it?

Hi chaps had a very weird problem with my 2006 Vectra C estate the other day. Driving along at night after about 10 miles when, radio went off as did all interior lights etc. (windows would not open, indicators not working). The head and tail lights stayed on but power steering stopped working as well. Whenever I slowed down (braked), they all momentarily came back on. As soon as seemed to accelerate; off they all went. Also if a turned ignition off and started engine again all came back, but as soon as I started off (i.e. engine speed increased) it all went off again.

It turned out I had RAC home start so i thought Iíd get them out to have a look. Within 1 min he said I had an alternator problem and showed me 16 V across the battery so I thought that must be it. This was a bit odd as the alternator was only 18 months old. However, i did get one of those cheap RTX alternators and Iíve read that they are crap and can fail after a year. Later that night I heard that sort of mini car alarm noise you get from these cars (not the full blown alarm). I didnít think it was my car so ignored it. In morning I had a flat the battery thatís when I realised it was my car alarm the night before doh...... (The battery is a 1 year old and a heavy duty BOSCH thing). Today I jump started it off the wife's Corsa after half hour and it seems to be charging at around 13.5 - 14 V; normal. I took it for a good run at all speeds and the fault has not reoccurred? Whatís going on? Can an alternator behave like this and give me all these symptoms?

Any comments would be gratefully received, cheers, Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I didn't get any reply so had to go with RAC advice as called them out a 2nd time. He showed me it was 12.32 A (low) charging, even dropped with lights on, heater blower, rear window etc. I noted after that when you measure leakage through battery ground (putting my DVM in series between battery -ve terminal and battery earth cable) i was getting 5 A !! This seems huge. I heard that failing diodes in the rectifier part of the alternator can fail and leak the battery to ground so I put it down to this. Now then. I had a brand new Lucas alternator fitted today and it charges at a nice 14 V but when I did the leakage test I got 2 A now?? This still seems high. Has anyone measured the residual leakage on a vectra they can remember? I would imagine it could have clock and sleeping ECM/electronics and be in the mA range not 2 A?? I would really appreciate any experiences here please??

Thread Information