Thread: XP vs Vista

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default XP vs Vista

When I was messing about I came across an interesting review of XP vs Vista and a potential security weakness in Vista.

Sounds very similar to when XP was rolled out – worth waiting until service pack 1 if you are going to get it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk:80/200...-uk/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vista looks good but my son has linux (which is free) and looks/does pretty much the same thing. Scrolling the screens is really cool

Microsoft always cynically use their launch customers to complete their beta testing/product development. Oracle seem to do the same (been involved in a company Oracle project for the last 3 years).

Get the product out early, make a show and then let the poor customers report the bugs to fix - look at microsoft product launch history.........

Having said that, at least Bill Gates is using a considerable amount of money for charitable purposes, just like Nelson D Rockefeller always did....

P.S. At least GM cars don't stop working as often as Microsoft products...... I remember that famous message from GM in response to Microsoft a few years ago comparing their cars with Bill Gate's software

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This one........class!

Subject: FW: Bill Gates vs. General Motors . . .Excellent!

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash........
    Twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

I love the next one!!!

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

He can keep it, I went out to get if last week, £70 OEM, ok I thinks, then I realise I have to buy a new comp to qualify for verification, or, £150 for an upgrade, OR £240 for a full retail version, no thx i say, and the worst thing is it's probably XP bundled with a new media and internet interface, and dressed up in a new suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MLC View Post
    This one........class!

Subject: FW: Bill Gates vs. General Motors . . .Excellent!

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash........
    Twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

I love the next one!!!

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.
    I'm liking that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's the one!! Thanks for that.

I think that Vista is much more than XP and structured differently. From what I read in the press (bear in mind that this household is a nerd/geek free zone except when my son is around) this will be the last major launch of a product - simply two expensive to develop and launch. Vista is structured so that it can be upgraded in modules, which leads me to think that it isn't just XP with bells on.
    Last edited by G.O'Rilla; 4th February 2007 at 02:36.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You won't see any companies client PC's moving over to Vista, and you won't for some time. If any I.T. manager moves to Vista within the next two years he/she'll need shooting.

At the moment there's too many bugs to fix. Microsoft's beta testing is absolutely diabolical, so they usually use the general public to help resolve things. We've all seen the error message with the two options at the end - 'Send Error Report to Microsoft' or 'Don't Send'.

Me personally, I'm going to wait for at least a year before I even consider Vista.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think thats the best thing to do alex, i know i'll be doing the same, i'll probably wait until they've realised a couple of service packs for it. It was the exact same when XP was launched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just gotta agree with the above. MS is notorious for it.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got a free upgrade voucher with my lap top so going to give it a bash and see what it is like .. If it is too unstable i`ll just take it out again, nothin to lose ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information