User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.2 DTi fuel pump slipped a tooth?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question 2.2 DTi fuel pump slipped a tooth?

Hi all, have been busy replacing my injector seals following this guide http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mozzer/ho...ectorseals.pdf but have had a problem.

After turning her over by the crank to get the engine to TDC I forgot to remove the spanner from the crank pulley.... you can see where this is going lol.

Anyways my little one is like my shadow and has to be outside with me, so she was playing in the car when I had my head under the bonnet, I had the keys in the ignition to listen to the radio. The car was practically all back together, fuel lines back on, inlet manifold back on, just the turbo boost hose to reconnect when she flicked the key..... engine turned over very slightly and I heard a knock and the spanner fell off.

Thinking nothing of it I've finished putting her together and tried to fire her up, she wont start she will run on easy start but as soon as I stop spraying it the engine stops.

I put it on o***m since the spanner light was on the clocks, and it says something about pump timing malfunction. So i took back off my rocker cover fearing the worst that the chain has snapped, but the chain still looks in tact, re-alligned engine to TDC and the scratch marks I put on the cam line up with the cam sprocket perfectly. I however can see the notch on the crank pulley to see if its jumped there.

Is it possible to the fuel pump to jump a tooth?

The cam followers look fine as does the cam

Any help appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Exclusive

Engine : 1.9 CDTI

Did it give P0340 as the code? I hope it has jumped a tooth mate cos mine gave that code when the pump ecu failed. Having said that I can't see how the work you've done can have affected the ecu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not sure of the exact code mate, I was meant to take a screen shot of it but the little one was being a nightmare.

I'll try and plug it back in tomorrow and see if the code is still there it come back as I cleared them

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers n thumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok guys put it all back together and tried again, no luck, think she's dead

I bought 4 cans of easy start, put in a new fuel filter and filled housing with fresh diesel, cracked off number 2 injector nut as its the only one that was accessible with the inlet back on, used all 4 cans and still the diesel wasn't flying out from the pipe.

Any ideas anyone?

Does anyone on here check chains like appy used to?

I'm in 2 minds what to do now, since I've never attempted a chain I wouldn't even know how to check if timed up correctly, do I get a new engine and plump it in? Scrap her and get a new car? Or does anyone on here know what they are looking at to do it for me? I'd pay of course.

I've spoke to a local mechanic ( family friend ) and he says that wouldn't have been enough to knock the timing out as some garages do that to loosen the crank pulley bolt off apparantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well a bit of good news today eventually

I stripped it all down today, rocker cover off, engine mountain off, aux belt tensioner off, side plate covering pump sprocket off. I turned it over by hand to tdc and looked at the sprocket on the pump and the timing mark matched up perfectly.

So I then took off the pipes to the injectors. I then went and bought a little hand held draper bleeder and connected it in place of the little rubber pipe on the bend and when I was pressing it I could hear air coming from the leak off pipes, so I took out the first T piece and it was cracked. I then put a screw in the end to seal it and ran the clear tubing from the primer into a jerry can full of diesel, got the missus to turn it over and to my relief diesel was flying out.

So it's nice to know the pump is working, just a shame I had to strip it all down to find this out. But I'm now working away for a week from the morning so can't get the new leak off pipes and T-pieces until friday to see if she starts.

It's amazing how a tiny piece of plastic can cause all this stress and the car not to start.

Thanks to all for your help and I'll let you's know next weekend if she starts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i hope it keeps running mate had the same problem just the same as you and mine died no fuel through the injectors i got the code (P0149-5B Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction) or similar got rac out they couldnt get it started so off to the garage we went they have diagnosed it as the edc has packed up £450 to fix ffs so fingers crossed yours will stay fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The old Vectra B's used to be a pig to start whenever there had been any work done which meant air could have got into the system. Could maybe try a tow start as some people have found that's the only way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi all just thought I'd update this, just took it to try and tow start it, 5.5 miles to be exact and still no joy.

Got back loosened off a union injector nut and got the missus to turn her over, there isn't a single bit of fuel coming out.

I've had it on opcom and its got the following error codes

P0070-71 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Malfunction
    P0149-5B Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction

It doesn't look good. I'm at a loss of what to do with it now, take a few parts off and scrap her, or get a new engine, or get someone who knows how to check the timing of the pump etc, as I'm wondering if when the spanner has hit the wishbone maybes it's snapped the pump chain or maybes the pump itself has coincedently died??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just to update this, eventually got the leak off pipes and T-pieces from Vx.

Got the car back together and after about 3 squirts of easy start she was running on her own juice

Its amazing the problems a £4 piece of plastic can cause

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Excellent news! Well done for persevering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information