User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma about Log Book / Private Plate .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Dilemma about Log Book / Private Plate .

Bought a car with a private plate on 20 December 2012 , which was meant to just get us over Christmas , while public transport was off , then sell it on in February 2013 .

We had no interest in the private plate and said previous owner can have it back .

He wanted to keep his private plate and promised to do the plate exchange and new name on the logbook the next day at the local D.V.L.A office in Regent Centre , Gosforth .

So nearly 3 and a half months later ( after a few phone calls to him ) we still have no logbook in my name . Even with the Xmas holidays , it shouldn't be this long , i would have thought .

We have a theory that he has delayed the log book , so while he awaits the private plate , we cannot steal the private plate once we are the owners of the vehicle .

Anyway on the 1st of March , I went to the local D.V.L.A and discover that NO attempt at all has been made to change either the log book or the private plate and were told as it had been over 3 months , that we had to apply for it and we were charged £ 25 for the pleasure of a V72 owners application .

So we went back to the previous owner and told him there was no record of him attempting to change names or private plate and we are £ 25 down and he swears he did and he is out of pocket by £ 80 .

Ohh and on 1st of April , the car became un-usable as i could not tax the car , due to no Log book and i didn't have the little green slip either .

So 6 weeks later ( Friday 12 April 2013 ) i ring the DVLA Swansea and they confirmed that my March 1st V72 owners application has been received , but is not processed yet and i'm looking at another 3 weeks to get my logbook .

I only wanted a short term car to get me over Christmas and to probably sell it in about February of this year .

Hopefully , i will receive the logbook before the end of April 2013 , but as the M.O.T. is due in September and i want to sell the car , i can't afford to wait another 6 weeks or even more for the previous owner to retrieve his plate from me .

If i only sell the car with less than 3 months M.O.T. i will never get back the money i paid for this , what was meant to be a short term car .

My dilemma is ...

Do i just sell the car immediatley as it looks like the previous owner never made an effort to change the owner or plate details

or do i stick to a gentlemans agreement ( give him back his plate ) and lose money on the car and possible shell out more cash to make it more sale-able ( new tax & poss new M.O.T. ) ?

On one hand , i have given him nearly 14 weeks from day one to change the details and he should have chased things up ,
    so i feel like just selling the car immediatley ,

But , the man knows where i live and i don't know what type of person he is .

Thanks for any opinions you have .
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 15th April 2013 at 13:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Won't the DVLA issue you with a registration document in your name with the original registration number on - probably need a receipt to prove you are the owner - or is that too simple

Edit - sorry just re read and I see you are awaiting a V5 already.
    Last edited by alcutler; 15th April 2013 at 13:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by alcutler View Post
    Won't the DVLA issue you with a registration document in your name with the original registration number on - probably need a receipt to prove you are the owner - or is that too simple
    I rang the DVLA and went to their office in Gosforth ,

Because i didn't know if the previous owner had changed any details of the plate exchange or name change ,

I didn't know what numberplate to apply for ( private or the plate it came with at registration ) when doing the V72 application and the DVLA could not tell me under the privacy rules , what the previous owner had done .

It was only because of the 3.5 month gap of the car being in limbo ( being cash owned by me , but still in the previous name ) that they did some digging and discovered that he had made no effort at all , to which he disagrees .

I did ask about how i can tax the car and i can do nothing until the log book comes .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In the DVLA office , i had the previous owners log book , when the vehicle was in the AB04 CDE form , but not the private plate logbook as it is now and a receipt from the seller and i think that's why they believed me , that i was stuck waiting .

I should say as the previous owner has not done the change over , i had to apply for the car with it's private plate on ,

which is my dilemma , whether to just keep it on , as i now own the private plate legally or give it back .

But if i give it back i may lose another 2 months M.O.T. on the car and i now want it gone as i'm sick of it .
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 15th April 2013 at 14:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elgance

Engine : 2.0 Turbo

Year : 2004

Mileage : 106000

Can you not tax it online? You dont need V5 for that! Also why worry about the plate the car is now registred to you as welll as the plate! The guy had his chance, so save yourself th bother of changing the plate! If V5 comes registered to you with the reg plate he ha basically lost the plate! There for you can take it of andsell it i you wanted!

Also you wont lose 2month MOT for changing a plate! If the car is motd to a date it will stay the same. I personally dont think it worth stressing out over it.

Tax online and keep the plate i say. He had his chance. If he is willing to pay you the money for your time putting it on retention then the £20 to re assign the plate then it up to you! But there is nothing to stress about.
    Last edited by JM53 BEL; 15th April 2013 at 14:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : Z18XER

Year : 2008

If you get the V5 in your name with the plate and he wants it back then he can pay the £120 to put it on retention (or £80 to transfer to another car) before you sell the car, if he doesnt want it back then just sell the car with the plate, but then its easy for me to say it as he knows where you live!! Be as reasonable as you can but I think you are passed that stage now if it is costing you money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Quote Originally Posted by JM53 BEL View Post
    Can you not tax it online? You dont need V5 for that! Also why worry about the plate the car is now registred to you as welll as the plate! The guy had his chance, so save yourself th bother of changing the plate! If V5 comes registered to you with the reg plate he ha basically lost the plate! There for you can take it of andsell it i you wanted!

Also you wont lose 2month MOT for changing a plate! If the car is motd to a date it will stay the same. I personally dont think it worth stressing out over it.

Tax online and keep the plate i say. He had his chance. If he is willing to pay you the money for your time putting it on retention then the £20 to re assign the plate then it up to you! But there is nothing to stress about.
    Forgive me if I am wrong but to tax it online you need need the number that is on the renewal form they send out - and presumably that will have gone to the registered owner ie the seller

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elgance

Engine : 2.0 Turbo

Year : 2004

Mileage : 106000

Quote Originally Posted by alcutler View Post
    Forgive me if I am wrong but to tax it online you need need the number that is on the renewal form they send out - and presumably that will have gone to the registered owner ie the seller
    They will have something in place in case of these situations! I would reckon they could give you a ref number over the phone to tax online!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

Burn the car and claim on the insurance - it resolves every issue then!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JM53 BEL View Post
    They will have something in place in case of these situations! I would reckon they could give you a ref number over the phone to tax online!.
    No , even though they have received my V72 application , i said on the phone to the DVLA , is there anyway to tax the car and she said no , not until the logbook arrives .

I tried to tax it online but failed when it asked for the reminder code or the reference on the log book .

I wonder which will come first to my house ?

1) A letter or fine about why the car is not S.O.R.N. 'd or taxed

or

2) The Log Book .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information