User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: vectra c 1.8 z18xe rough idle and cant hold revs, any ideas before i scrap it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c

Trim : Ls

Engine : 1.8

Year : 52

Default vectra c 1.8 z18xe rough idle and cant hold revs, any ideas before i scrap it?

hello again, my car ran fine for 2 months then one day I started it up and it was dog rough sounded like it was running on 2, but after 10 seconds it corrected itself and was fine. this started happening a bit more often over a few weeks but would always correct itself or I turn it off and restart it and it would be ok sometimes. it went for mot and failed on lambda 1.11, garage said it was sensor so I bought a new bosch one and went for re test it failed on lambda 1.08, I put the old lambda back in and got a refund on the new one. I then changed the maf with a second hand one which I was assured was working with same part number and cleaned out the throttle body, the car was now a lot worse and was rough idle all the time? I tried a new maf and it was the same, since then I have replaced the spark plugs, coil pack, egr valve, cam sensor, throttle body, fuel filter, checked for air leaks, removed inlet actuator and purge valve - tested ok, cleaned all air pipes, ran injector cleaner through it, flushed and replaced oil and filter, tested all engine wiring loom, cleaned all earths, took ecu apart and tested all connections. if I turn off each injector in turn it sounds worse. looking at it on obd on idle the timing advance is constantly shooting from 0 to 18 when I rev it it goes to 0 . the stft is 14 but if I rev it it also drops to 0 . I thought about cat but there is a lot of pressure at exhaust rear. it drives smooth and quick but sometimes it hold the revs on gear change, and if I dip the clutch and stop it will also hold the revs at say 4k! if I change down it will jerk and then I can use the engine to lower the revs? the car has done 137k miles, could it be a sticking valve? should I run kerosene through it? im running out of ideas now so any help really appreciated before I have to scrap it which I cant really afford to do as im between jobs at the mo. barks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you changed the crank sensor if the car doesn't know where it's firing it won't run and throws up a mil light

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi, I bought one but it fell apart in my hands, I hooked mine up to a miltimeter on continuity and when I put a big spanner to it then away again I get what seams to be a correct reading. theres no codes though? maybe I should just get one. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When mine failed it went into limp home mode would only rev to 4 k ish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it drives great can red line it, smooth and quick but wont idle properly and cant hold the revs at a certain value, if I blip it it goes to 1200 revs and is smooth then drops to 700 ish and goes lumpy again as the stft increases and the timing advance starts to flicker from 0 - 18 again? its very weird. if I unplug the maf it will stall, and if I rev to 3k and release the accelerator it will drop to 1k then rev to 2k hold it for a bit then drop back to idle?
    Last edited by barks; 12th April 2013 at 14:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi, anyone know where the crack case breather is located? im going to check its not blocked and the fuel pressure is ok. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if I unplug the crank sensor when car is idling then it stalls, if I unplug the maf it goes to stall then picks up but is still rough, I have good fuel pressure, ive also just checked the fuel tank breather and its fine. if I unplug either lambda no change, its looking like ecu idle map corruption? internal engine mechanical fault? bad injector? or cat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

can anyone tell me where the knock sensor is please?

Thread Information