Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Dead Turbo - Options

Right,

My turbo has for some inexplicable reason bit the dust.

Car 1.9 120bhp CDTi 88K - Engine rebuild 30-40k ago after hydraulic locking in flood.

Noticed turbo getting noiser recently, assumed age. Engine started using oil to the point the oil light would flicker om 1st thing then it'd be topped up.

Also noticed I'd sometimes get immense blue smoke for the 1st few mins on start up OCCASIONALLY then it clears but most times none at all. Mainly if stood a few days or on tickover for a while (deicing etc) or if ruturned to when the engine is hot (and the oil thin!) and restarted.

Mrs complained of a noise yesterday, drove it today. Checked oil before setting off and ok. Put my foot down, horrible noise kicks in and oil light comes on momentarily.

Whines and grinds as the boost builds and sounds like the bearings have gone when spools up at 2.5 - 3k rpm. Turn the engine off and theres a lovely 'spinning top' whine as it spools down! Distinct lack of power too.

Accept I have to change the turbo, but what worries me is the oil light coming on (blocked oil feed?) and the fact I've seen a puff of blue smoke around here (see pic)

Turbo.jpg

Which I guess could be a blocked turbo pipe or worse, the head gasket again!

I have no worries putting a new turbo on it but given the fact the engines been rebuilt once, there's a mysterious puff of blue smoke (head gasket, blocked egr cooler???), an oil feed pipe may be blocked etc, I'm thinking about getting an exchange engine.

In the meantime, can I disconnect the turbo so I can use it sluggishly about the place for now???

Anyone reccomend anywhere around DY6 - Dudley?

Cheers and thanks in advance, Si

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On FB some one did suggest that it could be dump on the overrun as it is just a PUFF, then it's gone, not constant. But there is a lot of oil in that area.............

Spewed out from the turbo, or something more sinister?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

If you are getting the noises you describe then no do not drive it. Best case is the bearings are shot and the compressor is rubbing on the housing, worst case the shaft could have snapped and the compressor is just bouncing around in there smashing itself up. either way you could end up emptying your oil into the intake and destroying the engine. take the turbo off ASAP and examine it. If it is recoverable then I'd be able to help but you need to stop driving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by siw8158 View Post
    Right,

My turbo has for some inexplicable reason bit the dust.

Car 1.9 120bhp CDTi 88K - Engine rebuild 30-40k ago after hydraulic locking in flood.

Noticed turbo getting noiser recently, assumed age. Engine started using oil to the point the oil light would flicker om 1st thing then it'd be topped up.

Also noticed I'd sometimes get immense blue smoke for the 1st few mins on start up OCCASIONALLY then it clears but most times none at all. Mainly if stood a few days or on tickover for a while (deicing etc) or if ruturned to when the engine is hot (and the oil thin!) and restarted.

Mrs complained of a noise yesterday, drove it today. Checked oil before setting off and ok. Put my foot down, horrible noise kicks in and oil light comes on momentarily.

Whines and grinds as the boost builds and sounds like the bearings have gone when spools up at 2.5 - 3k rpm. Turn the engine off and theres a lovely 'spinning top' whine as it spools down! Distinct lack of power too.

Accept I have to change the turbo, but what worries me is the oil light coming on (blocked oil feed?) and the fact I've seen a puff of blue smoke around here (see pic)

Turbo.jpg

Which I guess could be a blocked turbo pipe or worse, the head gasket again!

I have no worries putting a new turbo on it but given the fact the engines been rebuilt once, there's a mysterious puff of blue smoke (head gasket, blocked egr cooler???), an oil feed pipe may be blocked etc, I'm thinking about getting an exchange engine.

In the meantime, can I disconnect the turbo so I can use it sluggishly about the place for now???

Anyone reccomend anywhere around DY6 - Dudley?

Cheers and thanks in advance, Si
    as above sounds like the bearing is worn and oil is seeping through

if you keep driving it and it starts pouring oil out the turbo and in to the engine it will rev its nuts off till it blows or it will throw bits of the turbo in to the engine either way you will destroy the engine no drivey get fixy fixy first

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Righty ho, Spent a glorious 3 hrs getting the turbo off today and despite being aghast at the sheer amount of oil in the intercooler pipes and surrounding areas, I'm happy (really??) in discovering the turbo is at fault. The shaft and compressor are intact however there is about 2-3mm of diagonal play on the compressor ends and maybe 0.75 - 1.5mm of lateral play. The puff of blue smoke was from a small split in the semi flexi pipe from the manifold to EGR cooler so the head gasket is safe as far as I know. So a 2nd hand/recon turbo is in order! One curious question. The manifold bolts...........how tight are they meant to be? There wasn't much in the way of oomphs of tightness there! So, tomorrow is a fun day of locating a turbo and finding out the pipe is poss only available as part of the whole egr cooler assembly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

think it is part of the cooler tube think some parts of it can be soldered up though

manifold bolts should be copper so normally good to undo especially if there not ancient

Thread Information