Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Normal Lag on CDTi 150?

Evening,

Just wondering if its normal or not really? Don't think I've ever had such a laggy car! I know it's got a fairly large turbo (GT1749 isn't it, same as the one on my mk4 golf) but even still there should be some bottom end!

It's pretty dangerous at busy junctions/roundabouts tbh as I just cant seem to get a quick pull away at all. Infact if I boot it hard I can watch the revs drop to like 600rpm and bog down before rising again.

Yet if I keep my foot buried for long enough (and try not to fall asleep in that time) the turbo boosts from just over 2kRPM and it is reasonably 'quick'. I'm not sure what to expect from it but its much heavier than any of my previous cars so i'd say the on boost power is probably about right.

No idea if its related but I also get the dodgy cold start - where it starts fine (albeit after quite a long crank) but then the revs drop and it starts hunting until I touch the throttle or move off, is fine after that.

I also have to gear down up hills in 6th at about 50mph...is that right? My Golf never had this problem and its a pain as the cruise control cant hold the speed uphill.

And lastly I did have the spanner light on yesterday for about 10 mins, read faults this morning and only one was stored which was P2279 Intake air system leak. I dont know how old that code was though, may not have been yesterdays one.

So I dunno if they're all related or not. But I must admit I'm a bit fed up with my 'new' Vectra....I bought a much newer car than my previous ones for theoretical reliability...but it just isnt. I've owned it two weeks, only done 600 miles in it and already snapped a spring, ruined a tyre, had to change the stat and now engine lights as well!! Should have stuck with the cheap old unreliable crap I'm used to lol.

Rant over anyway, so any ideas about the lag issue?

Cheers
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VXD

Hi Tom it sounds like you could have a faulty egr valve if you have very little power until the turbo kicks in and also problems with cold starts and the hunting I had the same issue when I picked mine up and got the same code so after a new egr was put on under warranty it took off and ran perfectly with no power problems at all

hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Take the egr valve off & clean it with carb cleaner,what year is your car? Replaced my egr valve (05 1.9cdti) to find i got a 'hesitation' at about 50mph like a misfire,turned out they (vx) had updated the egr's to a higger flow rate,needed a software update £180.
    so removed the it,cleaned the old 1......no problems since,clean the boost sensor,check the 'swirl flaps' rod/flap (depending on year of your car) also check the vac pipes as these tend to split espically the one with the elbow,clean the throttle body & also check the solder points as these can crack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply. I was told it did have a new EGR recently though, although can't find a reciept for it in the history.

I have a partial blank ready to fit...would that make the problem any better by fitting it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by farley2708 View Post
    Take the egr valve off & clean it with carb cleaner,what year is your car? Replaced my egr valve (05 1.9cdti) to find i got a 'hesitation' at about 50mph like a misfire,turned out they (vx) had updated the egr's to a higger flow rate,needed a software update £180.
    so removed the it,cleaned the old 1......no problems since,clean the boost sensor,check the 'swirl flaps' rod/flap (depending on year of your car) also check the vac pipes as these tend to split espically the one with the elbow,clean the throttle body & also check the solder points as these can crack
    Mines an '06 plate.

I will remove the EGR to see how dirty it is then, theretically it should be pretty clean if its only been done recently! And will check/clean the TB too.

Where is the boost sensor on these? New to Vauxhalls lol.

The swirl flap rod was still connected when I bought the car as thats something I made sure of...haven't checked it since, but I'm really hoping it's not a swirl flap issue due to the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

The TMAP sensor (boost) is on the back of the inlet manifold held by a single bolt. Clean the MAF and TMAP sensors with electrical contact cleaner and fit that partial EGR balnk. The turbine in the golfs is smaller than that in the vauxhalls, so it will spool a little later but should be kicking in around 1500rpm not 2000rpm. Also worth checking the vacuum control lines and the control solenoid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by nutron View Post
    The TMAP sensor (boost) is on the back of the inlet manifold held by a single bolt. Clean the MAF and TMAP sensors with electrical contact cleaner and fit that partial EGR balnk. The turbine in the golfs is smaller than that in the vauxhalls, so it will spool a little later but should be kicking in around 1500rpm not 2000rpm. Also worth checking the vacuum control lines and the control solenoid.
    Brilliant, cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Must add on the other end off scale, my turbo always kicks in between 1200-1350 and is solid to 3750 ish...rapes any other diesal in the same engibe range I have came across...a4s golf bmw's etc... (been modded of corse) hopefully yours gets running properly soon so you also have a smile on your face everytime you go out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1200rpm? Struggling to believe that lol,.even the tiny turbo on my hdi didn't spool that early haha! But im guessing you're far from standard.... I'm not worried about raping other cars, been there done that already lol, the vec is supposed to be me growing up a bit and not playing with engine mods and wrecking yet another engine lol (I seem to have a habit of this)....just hoping mine is broken atm as I can't put up with this lag if its normal! I got bored of my 180bhp Golf TDi after adding a bigger turbo (popped the original, oops)....wished I'd kept the slightly smaller turbo afterwards.

Haven't had a chance to do anything to the vec today (been stripping my 306 for parts for the last week) but had the car and spanner light again today, so it wasn't just a one off. I also took a lag video (idle to redline in 2nd) which ill add tomorow to compare...or just to give you a laugh lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1200 for sure...u can here it start to spool when it gets to 1200..yeah I also got the vec to get out off the modding scene. ..then I found this website...whoops

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information