0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9 150

Year : 2006

Mileage : 146,000

Default Ticking Noise!!!

Well folks, i have a ticking noise from the car since i got it, it seems to be to be more noticible under acceleration and with the drivers window down, especially if your driving past a wall or even parked cars where it echos off them, i cant seem to hear it if i put the passenger window down instead of the drivers but i dont know if this is because the noise is from the drivers side of the engine or just because im sitting too far away from that side to hear it. I had a whining from noise from a pulley aswell but i changed that a few weeks back and the ticking is still there and i can can hear it louder now with no whining!! Ive run an engine flush through and changed the oil but no difference. I was thinking mabey injectors but then shouldnt it make the same ticking when revved in neutral as when under load? and that makes me think mabey its the turbo, but theres no smoke or loss of power, and the turbo is on the front so shouldnt i hear the noise the same from both drivers and passenger windows?? The car also seems a bit louder even on idle than our other vectra which is very quite at idle and throughout the rev range.. Has anyone else had this problem and sorted it as i dont want to go spending a load of money on things trying to fix it and not find the problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone?? car has 112,000miles by the way

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Hatch

Engine : 2.0T

Year : 2003

Mileage : 90000

What size engine mate. It could be a wheel bearing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Monkgti View Post
    Well folks, i have a ticking noise from the car since i got it, it seems to be to be more noticeable under acceleration and with the drivers window down, especially if your driving past a wall or even parked cars where it echos off them.
    I cant seem to hear it if i put the passenger window down instead of the drivers but i don't know if this is because the noise is from the drivers side of the engine or just because im sitting too far away from that side to hear it.

I had a whining from noise from a pulley as well but i changed that a few weeks back and the ticking is still there and i can can hear it louder now with no whining!!

Ive run an engine flush through and changed the oil but no difference. I was thinking maybe injectors but then shouldn't it make the same ticking when revved in neutral as when under load?

That makes me think maybe its the turbo, but there's no smoke or loss of power, and the turbo is on the front so shouldn't i hear the noise the same from both drivers and passenger windows??

The car also seems a bit louder even on idle than our other Vectra which is very quite at idle and throughout the rev range.

Has anyone else had this problem and sorted it as i don't want to go spending a load of money on things trying to fix it and not find the problem
    Remove the auxiliary belt and run the engine, if there's no ticking its nothing on that belt run, if it still ticks then you will have to remove the timing belt covers (if any as you have not stated what engine you have) and use a mechanics stethoscope (long screwdriver) and listen at various points near the noise.

If its obvious the ticking is coming from the top of the engine then disregard the above and do as below.

Better to make a small video clip and post it here so we can see listen etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Should have said, cdti 150. Ive ran it with the aux belt off while i was trying to find the whizzing noise and the ticking was still there so def not anything run on that belt. The timing belt is marked as being done at 101,000 miles but thats assuming all the pulleys and pump were changed aswell!

Thread Information