User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have an aftermarket warranty on their car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Anyone have an aftermarket warranty on their car?

A while back I looked at getting one for my car but was put off by the £200-£300 per year price. Anyway. got a call tonight from the AA who are my recovery company and they will do it on a rolling monthly basis for £6.98 a month. Seems pretty cheap. I asked a few questions and seems a good deal.

Anyone use AA another warranty provider?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

i have had a 2 car ''AA BREAKDOWN REPAIR WARRANTY'' for a few years now, I cant fault it at all and have used it a few times on various different car's i have had covered, tbh i couldnt have asked for a better service, i cant recommend it enough....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design+

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 101000

Ask yourself this (applies to all 'insurance' not just car warranty insurance):

Q: How does the warranty (insurance) company make a profit?

A: Because the total collected premiums are *significantly* higher than all outgoing payments combined -i.e staff, admin, and claims.

On that basis, if you had an insurance-based warranty for every car you own throughout your life, you will pay significantly more in premiums than the cost of repairing those cars in the event of a fault. Most of these policies are worded such that they can get out of paying for the majority of repairs by calling it 'fair wear and tear' for the mileage, or excluding costly components.

I have car insurance because it is required by law (and for me it is for some reason cheaper to have fully comp rather than 3rd party???). I have house insurance because it's the biggest asset that I have and its worth paying £130 a year to protect that asset against total loss caused by fire, etc. But I personally would never consider an insurance based car warranty.
    Last edited by Teapot; 28th March 2013 at 22:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think nowadays they would like you to absolutely insure everything in your house besides house and contents insurance, your boiler, washing machine, tv, laptop and even yourself, your partner, your kids and your animals, it's a joke. where would I be if I had to pay for all this? they use scare tactics to hook you in and many of us unfortunately fall for it.
    No offence meant for those who would like to be safe and buy extra insurance ,buy as you have guessed it's not for me

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ditchp View Post
    i have had a 2 car ''AA BREAKDOWN REPAIR WARRANTY'' for a few years now, I cant fault it at all and have used it a few times on various different car's i have had covered, tbh i couldnt have asked for a better service, i cant recommend it enough....
    I have this on my Insignia, haven't used it yet (touch wood) but have heard nothing but good things.

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Completely understand what you're saying Mr Teapot but I thought I'd give it a go. The fact it's a rolling policy without a tie in was attractive. There might be something I want them to take a look at once the dust has settled ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Astra GTC VXR

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2.0t

Year : 2013

£6.98 seems rather cheap for a warranty, i'd really look at whats being covered and how much you can claim upto.
    I pay £25 a month on a rolling contract for mine and covers everything plus i have a claim limit of £3000, it sounds to me that the AA have sold you a basic warranty that will only cover you upto about £300 per claim.

Lets put it this way, last year i had to have the turbo replaced on the VXR and had no problems with the warranty company paying up.
    Last edited by Hyperhart; 29th March 2013 at 09:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'll have a good look at the T's & C's when the paperwork arrives. The guy said that it covered up to 5 claims of £500 each per year. Electrical or Mechanical. Now I'm sure there are wear and tear items excluded which I expect.

He did say I don't actually have to have broken down, just reporting something not working as it should/did. I just have to call the AA out first where they will take a look (I guess try to fix it for free) and if not give the blessing to book it in to a garage.

For <£7 a month I'll give it a go. As I alluded to, there are 1 or 2 things I might want them to take a look at. If they get all defensive then I'll just cancel it. No biggy for the cost of a couple of pints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : signum

Trim : elite

Engine : 1.9 cdti 16v 225bhp

Year : 54

Mileage : 150k

i used too have the aa policy with the warranty but they cancelled it as they said i was abusing it and to keep the price low for other customers my policy was to be terminated i claimed twice once for alternator and once for aux belt pulleys less than £300 combined but id used it for breakdown on 3 occasions- dead battery once needed a jump start, stuck on grass verge once needed a tow off, and cant remember the other was something simple what didnt require repair so its not 5 claims it was 5 call outs imo opinion thats not abuse thats motoring. also at 99% of garages you have to pay and then claim back from the aa which can be ball ache and you have to provide all sorts of service history etc get the garage to fill out a form and so on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have the same cover but paid upfront, had it since Jan and already made one claim for a new alternator which has more than covered the outlay of the policy already! and yeah couldnt of been more shocked at how easy the claim was, car was recovered to the garage in the night next morning speak to them and advise what they need to do called at 12.00 to see when it'll be ready for collection and it was done already! i expected days not hours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information