Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Removing manifold cats on a 3.2

Hi folks i have just removed both manifold cats on my 3.2 gsi due to a 0422 fault code (cat threshold to low) for £19 and solved the code issue.
    basically after lots of research i found it possible to fool the after cat lambda sensors on the manifold by simply spacing them away from the exhaust flow using spark plug defoulers although i know this wouldnt solve the blocked cat issue so before paying silly money having tubular manifolds with sports cats made up i chiselled out the cats from the manifolds(the rear one was really blocked) in essence leaving a straight through manifold to see if any change was noticed and if the eml would stay off (wouldnt want to spend out and find out after that the eml stayed on).

The results are good the eml has stayed off for 900+ miles now and a vast improvement in mpg( avarage was 27mpg now 36mpg on the same daily run). Torque has also vastly improvedand it seems a lot more responsive all through the power band especially after 4k. it sounds a lot more meaty now and pops and bangs on lifting off from highish revs i have a std exhaust system with the other cat in the downpipes removed and the centre silencer also removed
    I am planning getting a custom set of tubular manifolds made up now with sports cats for mot time will keep you updated. anyone wanting the spacers for the lambdas i bought them from merlin motorsport but see mij exhausts have them also so may well approach them to do the mainifolds(any recommendations welcome) will try and post up a few pictures when the weather improves

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 3.2 gsi

Trim : gsi

Engine : 3.2 v6

Year : 2003

hi bud im getting the same codes come up every so often, did you notice any problem with the car feeling as if it was holding back and juddery at low revs... flooring it its fine just low revs mines seems iffy... how hard are they to remove i have two new ones but a quick look and on the front one the bolts look rusty and solid havent even looked at the back ones yet... how did ya go about chiselling the cat out? and with the middle box removed how much louder is it....sorry for so many questions but been looking for answers for ages lol cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : GSI

Trim : (vxr/irmy)

Year : 2004

Pics I want a vid I want to hear it popping lol

How did you smash the cats out did you take them off or did you leave them on the cat then done it I want to do my cats to get some popping but I read a thread that 2 bolts on my manifold had snapped and don't know if they been fixed.

Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

Trim : Sport

Engine : Petrol

so do you still have the main cat? The one after the flexi pipe??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thats what im worried about snapping the bolts they dont look in good nick

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi lee noise wise its not much louder with the middle box removed(i did the centre cat at the same time) it sounds a bit more meaty under hard acceleration but nothing to write home about, my symptoms were similar i had an erratic idle and juddering almost like a missfire around 2-2.5k but ok under hard acceleration, i did all the work without removing the manifolds as i had the same problems with the nuts looking a bit rusty and worn so i just jacked up the car quite high and used a hammer drill with chisel attatchment to break out the cats, remove all 4 lambdas first though or they will be damaged and use a dustmask and goggles as a lot of dust and bits will come out lol. its made a huge change to how the car drives now and for the price and time taken(roughly an hour) its worth the effort and i am going to try fitting a sports cat back into the downpipe and having the emmissions tested as the vectra b 3.2 conversions use that set up so fingers crossed that will work

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mark, lol i only have the 2 rear boxes as silencers hence the popping but it sounds good i will try and get a recording up for you with a full system exhaust it would be quite loud i think but i have stuck with the standard looking setup which probably is why its not that loud

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Steve. no mate that is out aswell so i am catless but it wont pass the emmissions now(at least i am getting my minies worth from my road tax) so i am going to try and refit a sports cat in the downpipes hoping thats enough so i can flow the manifolds without restrictions

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mine is due an mot soon so may wait til after that but sounds the same kind of problem as im having would ideally like to the manifolds off so ive got the option of putting new ones on come mot time. not feeling brave enough to tackle the yet altho gotta do it sometme lol, would be interested in any progression ya make on this mate,
    definitley think the cats are the problem

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

same as mate my mot is due in may so i need to get it emmisions friendly by then lol mine started off just seeming sluggish and then the dreaded 0422 code came up and stayed on all the time, i drive 5-800 miles a week so it started getting expensive like at 70mph on the motorway on cruise it was doing 24mpg at its worst so i trawled the net for replacement cats then stumbled across a thread on decatting and spacing the lambdas out of the exhaust gas path so thought i would try and hey presto it worked a treat so will gat a cat on the downpipes in the next few weeks and get it tested saying that if your light is on all the time it will probably fail anyway as it goes into a loop mode and dumps extra fuel into the mix. is your fuel consumption unusually low??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information