Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default OE DAB Radio fitting

I am sorry in advance if I am going over old ground in this post but to be totally honest I have 1001 things to sort out and just need a quick answer from those that know! I currently have an ageing Vectra C into which I have fitted a Sony single DIN DAB radio, along with a roof mounted antenna. I think the DAB is fantastic, it has worked great ever since I ditched the useless screen mounted antenna and will not now be without DAB, even though I have not been able to use the wheel controls for the radio. I am now looking to change car to a late model Vectra or Siggy, preferably one with built in Satnav. I have the following questions: 1. Is there a good OE radio that anyone has experience of and that I can fit into the Vectra/Siggy that has DAB and can be controlled vie the steering wheel. 2. If I choose to just use my existing Sony radio and accept that I can't use the wheel controls will it affect the Satnav. 3. Are the Vauxhall Satnav's any good anyway?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9CDTi

Year : 2005

Mileage : Lots

1 - The only Vauxhall DAB radio that came in the Vectra or Signum was the CDC40, a great unit but does not have built in sat-nav. For that you'd need the CD70 which does not have or offer native DAB support.

2 - If you used your existing Sony unit you'd have no sat-nav at all because it all runs through the headunit.

3 - Perfectly fine if you can live without full postcode support!

I'd go for one with the CD70 Navi kit which is the factory sat-nav, and then wire in a seperate DAB system like the one below. Just pre-tune one of the radio frequencies to the DAB kit and it will pick up the DAB radio. It's hardwired into the car aerial feed. They work very well and there's a few people on here with them. Alternatively, if your car has the CD70 aux in feature as standard, the kit below will hook straight up to that.

http://www.pure.com/product/highway-...Specifications

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : GSi and Elite with Eibach adaptive

Engine : 3.2V6 and 2.8T

Year : 03-06

The Pure systems looks OK and will give you ipod control too (shame it doesnt do bluetooth), but it does mean you have an extra screen to put somewhere on the dashboard - and contols are attached to that screen.

I'm thinking of going for this:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_265865
    its a hidden solution that can ONLY be controlled by the steering controls. It pipes the DAB through the standard head-unit and is therefore compatible with satnav and phone functions etc.

PS - i'm not necessarily recommending you get it from Halfords though! In fact, with the potential hassles with DAB signal etc, I'd get a pro to supply & fit this particular unit.
    Just had a quick google and find the manufacturer here: http://www.autodab.com/Range.aspx
    and a link where Vauxhall seem to endorse (and even fit) that unit... http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners_ser...050313_twitter

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for your detailed answer, to which I would like to comment/confirm: 1. From what you are saying I will never get a vectra/siggy with manufacturer fitted (ie from new) Sat Nav and DAB radio? I am sure I saw an advert for a Vectra elite with manufacturer fitted Sat Nav and DAB radio, I/the seller must have been mistaken or the DAB was an add on like the one you refer 2. The manufacturer fitted sat nav will never work through a replacement non-vauxhall unit? £. (important!) the Built in Sat Nav does not have full post code support?? Thats crap, I use a TomTom and one of the best things about it is the full post code search, I have used other before it with limited post code search and it's rubbish. If that is the case I will forget entirely about a built in VX SatNav! Are the newer (insignia) ones like this as well?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by pulseracing View Post
    The Pure systems looks OK and will give you ipod control too (shame it doesnt do bluetooth), but it does mean you have an extra screen to put somewhere on the dashboard - and contols are attached to that screen.

its a hidden solution that can ONLY be controlled by the steering controls. It pipes the DAB through the standard head-unit and is therefore compatible with satnav and phone functions etc.

PS - i'm not necessarily recommending you get it from Halfords though! In fact, with the potential hassles with DAB signal etc, I'd get a pro to supply & fit this particular unit.
    Just had a quick google and find the manufacturer here: http://www.autodab.com/Range.aspx
    and a link where Vauxhall seem to endorse (and even fit) that unit... http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners_ser...050313_twitter
    Yes I have looked at this myself, but I can't seem to get a definite answer to whether it prevents you using the controls for your phone? If it is using wheel controls for the DAB unit surely it will disable the original use of them. Personally I don't like add-on screens and bits and don't want to use the PURE stuff, but if the VX SatNav is as bad as it sounds I will just fit and entire new unit with DAB into a car with no SatNav anyway!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mokka

Trim : SE - Orange Rock 's !!

Engine : 1.7CDTi

Year : 2014

I have a CDC40 and separate tomtom sat nav. I use sat nav a little and DAB a lot. So it depends on your usage.
    After market Double DIN sat nav radios's with DAB to fit a Vectra seem a bit rare.

The CD70 postcode entry only works if no place has the same letters at the beginning.
    For example entering WD will let you do the postcode as no town starts with those letters.
    CH will always default to Chester or similar.
    Last edited by TonyP2020; 21st March 2013 at 13:56.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9CDTi

Year : 2005

Mileage : Lots

I'd never seen these before, looks like a great option!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP2020 View Post
    I have a CDC40 and separate tomtom sat nav. I use sat nav a little and DAB a lot. So it depends on your usage.
    After market Double DIN sat nav radios's with DAB to fit a Vectra seem a bit rare.

The CD70 postcode entry only works if no place has the same letters at the beginning.
    For example entering WD will let you do the postcode as no town starts with those letters.
    CH will always default to Chester or similar.
    Sounds like a bag of ****e to me!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : GSi and Elite with Eibach adaptive

Engine : 3.2V6 and 2.8T

Year : 03-06

most built-in satnav systems (not just vauxhall) have little or no postcode support. I rented various 'luxury' new cars last year and typically you couldnt enter the entire UK postcode into their nav. I have a top of the range tomtom that's about 1 year old as well, and that postcode only gets you to the street - you still have to enter the house number.

The weird setup with Vauxhall is that the 'best' radio (the CD70 that has satnav) doesnt include DAB. DAB is included on the lower CD40(?) but that doesnt have nav!
    The one car I didnt drive last year was an Insignia with nav, so can't comment on the new vauxhall telematics a - all I know is that they are completely different from the Vectra.

So, i have the posh tomtom and the cd70 built-in - the built-in nav wins every time for me as i dont like wiring clutter and stuff stuck to the windscreen, I prefer the built-in controls and like how it all works properly - muting the music for guidance, calls, parking sensors etc - but I guess its a matter of personal preference.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

most built-in satnav systems (not just vauxhall) have little or no postcode support. I rented various 'luxury' new cars last year and typically you couldnt enter the entire UK postcode into their nav. I have a top of the range tomtom that's about 1 year old as well, and that postcode only gets you to the street - you still have to enter the house number.

The weird setup with Vauxhall is that the 'best' radio (the CD70 that has satnav) doesnt include DAB. DAB is included on the lower CD40(?) but that doesnt have nav!
    The one car I didnt drive last year was an Insignia with nav, so can't comment on the new vauxhall telematics a - all I know is that they are completely different from the Vectra.

So, i have the posh tomtom and the cd70 built-in - the built-in nav wins every time for me as i dont like wiring clutter and stuff stuck to the windscreen, I prefer the built-in controls and like how it all works properly - muting the music for guidance, calls, parking sensors etc - but I guess its a matter of personal preference.
    Seems like there is a lot of confusion here to me. I think the CDC40 had DAB as an option and it is not easy to find one either in (the right) car for sale or on it's own? I take your point regarding the TomTom (I think) but I use mine for locating business premises and it usually works brilliantly, the fact you cannot put a full postcode into the VX unit sounds like it will be a no-no for me - I get the impression that built in SatNavs are behind the like of TomTom etc???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information