User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Indicator/Full Beam/Cruise Control stalk

fishphone

Default Indicator/Full Beam/Cruise Control stalk

I have located the How 2 article for removing the stalk.

The stalk on my Siggie appears to be broken internally somehow as cannot select Full Beam. Criuse and indicators are still working although the stalk feels like it will snap off fully very soon.

Is it just the stalk that needs replacing in this case or is there more to the workings of it inside the steering wheel cover?

I can see plenty of replacement items on flea bay and wanted to do this myself rather than take to the stealers, but wished to confirm it is just the stalk and nothing more as seems easy enough to do myself.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The stalk is literally just a stalk, if you have managed to break the end of it your laughing, new stalk and job done, take the stalk out and inspect it, if its not the stalk it will be the CIM which is inside the steering cowling and is a module which is very expensive (about £400 from memory) and needs a lot of programming to replace it,
    The up down back and forth movement in inside the CIM, I have taken one apart and repaired it but its not for the faint hearted, but then if its dead and you want to try save £400 go for it but just be prepared if you remove it and strip it and can't fix it your car is dead and needs towing to vx for repair

fishphone

Thanks for the prompt reply Simon

Stealer has quoted me £63 fitted. Seems ok when part is £40 new on flea bay?

North West - Assistant RO Woody's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Elite Estate Auto Facelifted

Trim : Elite with loads of "Extras"

Engine : 3.2 Z32SE

Year : 2004

Mileage : 94,000

AFAIK the new stalk simply "pushes in" and locks. So £23 for a 30 second job ? You could do this yourself as it's pretty much equivalent to screwing a tyre valve cap on.

The issue is, whether or not it is the Stalk, or the CIM. A stalk by itself, isn't all that flexible. The movement you get usually is by the stalk moving the mechanics of the "switch" which are a part of the CIM. So, you could be spending £63 and not solve your problem and still require a CIM repair or replacement as has already been said.

Try removing the stalk as per the how-to and examining it physically. If it is as solid as a rock, then it is the CIM section which is "wobbly" and probably damaged, however, to check, you can probably pick up a used stalk on ebay for under £10 and replace it yourself.

It really would be such a shame to spend £63 and find that all you have achieved, is the same problem with a new stalk

fishphone

The stalk itself is still in position but feels broken inside. The indicators and cruise control still work. I can pull stalk back towards me and the full beam flashes ok, but when pushing the stalk forwards for permanent full beam it just wobbles back and forth and no full beam is switched on. I cannot remember anything about when it broke it just seemed to be so on Tuesday morning. Am I correct in assuming there are no actual wires between the stalk and the CIM?

I am loathe to try removing the stalk at the moment in case I foobar it completely, still need to get to work for a few days and wont need full beam at all. The stealer hasn't got the new one in yet anyway. I have seen all the threads and photos of removing it using a straightened paper clip/wire, am I correct in assuming refitting it is just a case of pushing back in without the need for the paper clip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There are no "wires" on the stalk, just some "brass" contacts at the end of the stalk and bent around the plastics of the stalk (so that they do not take any strain on their own) where it will mate with the CIM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2006

Mileage : 130k

hmmm interesting. Im starting to have similar problems. 1.8 vvt 2006 with 101k on the clock.

When i indicated left it feels fine but when i indicate right it feels very clicky and makes a louder noise than the left. Im now having trouble with selecting the cruise control. Works if you push it very lightly but push it harder it does not engadge. Also having error codes coming up with no comms to the cim when I select the cruise control. If i reset it then don't use the cruise then no errors appear. As soon as I use the cruise control then on the next ignition turn I will get the car spanner symbol on the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Envy View Post
    hmmm interesting. Im starting to have similar problems. 1.8 vvt 2006 with 101k on the clock.

When i indicated left it feels fine but when i indicate right it feels very clicky and makes a louder noise than the left. Im now having trouble with selecting the cruise control. Works if you push it very lightly but push it harder it does not engadge. Also having error codes coming up with no comms to the cim when I select the cruise control. If i reset it then don't use the cruise then no errors appear. As soon as I use the cruise control then on the next ignition turn I will get the car spanner symbol on the dash.
    That sounds like the "easy" option matey . Typically just a removal and contact clean. There's a how2 for it (see cruise control problems).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2006

Mileage : 130k

Quote Originally Posted by woodpeck View Post
    That sounds like the "easy" option matey . Typically just a removal and contact clean. There's a how2 for it (see cruise control problems).
    Thanks matey. Will have a look through the how too's and give it a go. Can't be that hard i bet.

Cheers for the info

Thread Information