Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

Default Martial Arts & everyday life

I know there are a few of us who have done some form of MA. I just wondered if it effects your everyday life in the person that you are?

I did Shotokan Karate to black belt, then did Shotokai to black belt then moved on to Brazilian Ju-Jitsu to get brown belt and then moved in to MMA which I competed in.

For me it has become a way of life and I still spar/fight with mates who are preparing for fights and will be having my last MMA fight this year if injuries do not stop it.(40 this year!)

My boy suffers from ADHD and I am thinking of training him in a way of learning him discipline, self confidence and a form of releasing his pent up frustration. The ex is not so sure.

I know for me MA along side my powerlifting/weight training saw me through some of the worst times in my life and got me through the other side but also gave me a determination to push through pain and mental fatigue that has followed me throughout my life. I set my mind to something and I will achieve it even if I fail ten times in the process I will push until I have achieved what I set out to do. When I broke my back I was determined to fight again/surf and work despite being told I would never do it.

Apart from the obvious skills of learning to control aggression in others/yourself, to handle confrontation and building confidence in ones own abilities what else have you gained from your martial arts?

I was really into the spiritual side of it at one point and meditation and started getting back into that side of it about 6 months ago and it has made me a lot less short fused as my missus says.

Do you think it helps build certian "steps" in a kids development and the person they become?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2

Year : 2003

I'm 43 next week - I still do weights and running butI gave up thai boxing in my mid 30s cos I was finding it was ruining me for other stuff - after for instance a session of holding a flimsy pad on my thighs while someone kicked it 40 or 50 times I could hardly walk the next day. I miss it for the fitness side I have to say.

I had some amateur fights and what it did for me was take away the natural scaredness of being hit.

I think some form of full-contact martial arts is good for anyone, for discipline, confidence and calmness in stressful situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : SRi

Engine : CDTi 200

Year : 2007

I think it sounds like a good idea, will help with discipline and control, and allow him to vent exactly as you say.

I Did shotokan when I was younger didn't get to black as my sensei gave it up not long before I could go for it, never really followed it on as I focused more on my studies, and even had i wanted to there was no other dojo near me :-(

It is however something I want to get back into now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

boxing was my thing when i was younger but moved to tue gym then started with a bit of cage rage go noe and again but need to get bak in shape propaly again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150. Manual

Year : 2006

I want my kids (girl 6 and boy 2) to under take a form of MA for the purpose of discipline. When is a good age to start?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : SRi

Engine : CDTi 200

tbh mate, the earlier the better i think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : elite

Engine : 1.8 petrol

Year : 2003

Mileage : 92000

done shotokan for 20 odd years under s.k.i me and a lot of club members broke away and joined up with ukasko under chief instructor roy stanhope found this a totally different experience due to the fact we were competing against various styles and disciplins of the ma great idea teaches respect disciplin and self motivation and confidence i would recommend it to anyone especially this day and age where you cant even go for a pint without the threat of being mugged on the way home

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by d_ghedia View Post
    I want my kids (girl 6 and boy 2) to under take a form of MA for the purpose of discipline. When is a good age to start?
    I used to teach karate to kids. I hated it lol. I would say 10 onwards any younger and the kids don't really pick it up and you are wasting your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I did many years of Lau Gar Kung Fu, in my 20's, because I used to think it was essential to be able to protect yourself and that it was inevitable that I would have to use it one day. Now, I know that's not the case, and it's better common sense to stay away from scenarios where you might have to use it, than to feel you're only safe if you're the toughest person in the room (which you never are). As Patrick Swayze said in Road House, "Does anyone ever really win a fight?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    I did many years of Lau Gar Kung Fu, in my 20's, because I used to think it was essential to be able to protect yourself and that it was inevitable that I would have to use it one day. Now, I know that's not the case, and it's better common sense to stay away from scenarios where you might have to use it, than to feel you're only safe if you're the toughest person in the room (which you never are). As Patrick Swayze said in Road House, "Does anyone ever really win a fight?"
    It's always easier to walk away and when I was teaching I always said it does not make you the toughest person, it does give you a self confidence to assess a situation that could turn against you. A lot of Martial Arts are just that look nice in the Dojo but on the street are very hard to use. I think thats why I like BJJ because my instructor would show you the "art" way and then the street way and that allowed you to develop your own way that I took with me to MMA.

Swayze quote is very different if you are in a ring fighting. Thats the object of being there where as in the street I would agree totally. If it has come to fighting because of a difference of opinions then yes no one wins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information