User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: It's the small things that make a difference! (Hatch lock striker)

Section Moderator ThatAudioBloke's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : CDTI 150

Year : 2006

Mileage : 103000

Default It's the small things that make a difference! (Hatch lock striker)

After being sick of hearing "clack, clack, clack, clack" whenever I drove over any undulation in the road that's thicker than a Rizla, I eventually broke out the tools and went to town on the boot!

After stripping the hatch, and coming up with no obvious noise source, I gave the lid a quick press down and "clack"...

15 mins later, adjusted the striker plate down a couple of mm and... abject silence (except for the rear drop links which I'm certain need doing!)

Dead easy to do but unfortunately I didn't take any photos to How2 it. Basically, just pop the plastic panel off surrounding the striker, there are two Torx T30 screws holding it to the body. Undo these and move it down towards the boot floor by literally only a couple of mm. If you go too far, the boot won't close properly (it'll latch on the first latch but not fully close) and you'll need to bring it up a bit.

If you also find that the shut lines on your boot are out, the striker moves left and right as well, so you should be able to even up the shutlines when the boot is closed in the same way. Couple mm either way should sort it out!

Hope this helps someone else out if they're at breaking point with sharp "clack" metal to metal sounding boot rattles!

Section Moderator ThatAudioBloke's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : CDTI 150

Year : 2006

Mileage : 103000

Just to add to this, I've had a bit of a creak from the passenger side when going over road undulations or anything that is off camber after sorting this out. Well - I've eventually got to the bottom of it today! After thinking horrible thoughts of shagged suspension (even though everything checked out fine when I did the ARB bushes), I've eventually sussed it. The boot lid was moving around ever so slightly when the chassis flexed over bumps. This was enough to make it creak against the trim. Adjusting the two small striker pads on the boot lid out a little bit has not only sorted this, but levelled the boot to rear wings shutline. Previously the boot was a couple of mm lower than the wings when it was fully closed.

Fingers crossed the back end is now pretty much as silent as it can be! Next step (after payday most likely), strip the boot out completely and sound deaden it! I may even do that as a How2!

Thread Information