User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jlm egr cleaner...as sold on ebay......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SIGNUM 1.9 CDTI ELITE

Trim : ALL OPTIONS ELITE

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2005

Mileage : 140,000

Default Jlm egr cleaner...as sold on ebay......

Hi all,

Just to let you know and also get some feed back I thought I would share the results of trying an EGR cleaner,the type administered through the turbo inlet pipe.

I followed JLM's /the instructions by removing the induction pipe from the MAF sensor and starting the car....with laddo holding the rev's on at 1800 rev's I started spraying the half the prescribed cans worth into the turbo.
    I have to be honest, I expected clouds of black smoke from all the carbon it was removing etc but I didn't really see anything in the way of clouds, whilst spraying, it basically just retarded the engine and then the rev's rose until it had expelled the preperation, so after spraying into the inlet pipe @1800 rpm all I saw was the rev's rise and drop with each spray.
    I stopped at the half a can and went for a spin, there was a definite increase in smoke from the rear and the car felt more responsive in the first three gears but still not earth moving like it used to be (it used to be proper fast!) so I returned back to the garage and decided to empty the rest of the can directly thru the inlet manifold via the throttle body,......yep that made a difference!!!! big cloud of smoke each time I sprayed, it makes sense really as my EGR is partially blanked off (fiat 4 hole type) so perhaps was not expelling all the crud and it was all being caught in the EGR??

Took car for another spin and I could feel a much better spread of boost, the first three gears were absolutely pulling and changing further I could feel boost where there was none before, still not back to normal but loads better.
    Me and the missis had to go to Leeds in the evening so we went in the Signum to give it a run, I stuck it in third and gave it 4000 rpm for 20 miles or so, watching the rear view it was puffing black clouds out of the back each time the rev's rose and dropped, this smoke got less the further we went.

We returned from Leeds at normal speeds and the car is now boosting soooo much better, the hill up to Barnsley on the way to sheffield on the M1 used to be touch and go whether to change down into 5th but now it is pulling up there in 6th gear, admittedly not like it should but there is deffo a massive improvement from before.

please have your two penneth!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Sri nav

Engine : Z19dth

Year : 2006

Can't quite understand why something is marketed as an egr cleaner when all it does is rush past the egr valve. It would be better labeled as a turbo and inlet cleaner.
    Did it cost much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've used the 10k boost which is pre turbo and im sure it just collected in the intercooler and didnt do much. I use wynns egr 3 cleaner for diesels, this goes into the inlet and sounds like the same stuff. I was getting mpg of low 40's used it and got 52.9 mpg on a long run afterwards, but ive just notice my second inlet manifold is on its way out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : sri

Engine : 2.2 dti

Can carb cleaner b used or best to use a diesel egr and intake cleaner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am pretty much sure that spray type EGR cleaner is just carb' cleaner repackaged although it may be a watered down version? I have used both whilst cleaning the inlet side of things out sprayed directly into the turbo and inlet manifold and with all have experienced a better response from the engine afterwards.
    I have heard of people spraying MR MUSCLE INTO THE TURBO! Hmmmm that is a big mistake as Mr Muscle is an Alkali cleaner and will eat away anything that is alloy, including the turbo, the inlet manifold, the intercooler and not forgetting the cylinder head, the same should be said for TRAFFIC FILM REMOVER , it is a strong Alkali and whilst eating carbon etc will also eat your alloy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I found that taking the throttle body off and spraying carb cleaner into the inlet manifold (approx half a can) over a few hours loosened a lot of carbon deposit up in there and made a massive difference to power/response.
    A word of warning though........do not spray half a can in there then immediately start the car, you will hydraulic the cylinders and destroy the engine, it is short sprays over a few hours so the cleaner evaporates and there isnt much left in there when you eventually start the engine, probably the best results I saw whilst cleaning my induction system to be honest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bladeage1 View Post
    I found that taking the throttle body off and spraying carb cleaner into the inlet manifold (approx half a can) over a few hours loosened a lot of carbon deposit up in there and made a massive difference to power/response.
    A word of warning though........do not spray half a can in there then immediately start the car, you will hydraulic the cylinders and destroy the engine, it is short sprays over a few hours so the cleaner evaporates and there isnt much left in there when you eventually start the engine, probably the best results I saw whilst cleaning my induction system to be honest!
    I did this with the engine turned off and the keys removed over a few hours! the point is it softens the soot/carbon in there enough to let it eject through the ports....spraying it in whilst the engine is running will not do much at all or maybe only temporarily free the inlet tract valve thingys, it needs to soak in.

Thread Information