Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Elite XP2

Engine : 2.8

Year : 2008

Mileage : 54000

Default Warranty claim

Hi, I've got myself a bit of a problem. We bought an Astra 1.9 CDTi 8v 120 Auto a few months ago, which started making a strange whining from the engine, which was diagnosed (tensioner/pulley) and replaced under the 6 month warranty that the dealer supplied. All great up to this point.

So recently the heater started not blowing very hot and I noticed that the coolant reading in the "special menu" of the board computer was going up and down all the time and not staying stable (not to mention taking ages to get hot).

After doing a bit of reading I came to the conclusion that the thermostat was knackered so got it booked in for service/MOT and thermostat change, using my MasterFit service card and the £40 off voucher, and I must say the service I got from Eden Vauxhall in Christchurch was really good, much better than I've had from Eden in Branksome before, the people working there seemed like they where happy to help me, rather than at the branksome branch where whenever I go I feel like I'm interrupting their day!

Anyway, the thermostat hasn't fixed the heating, and in the notes it says "heater malfunction, possibly water pump, requires further investigation", so I called the warranty company and they where about to agree the claim but at the last minute the guy said "hang on, I don't think the dealer is trading anymore" put me on hold and made some calls, and it seems the dealer doesn't exist anymore, making the warranty void!

So, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to what to do next please, has anyone been in this situation before? I expect I can find the telephone number for the dealer, but I expect he'll just tell me to ****** off!

I'm going to call the citizens advice bureau now, but I've no idea if they'll be any use.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded post!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

who is your warranty with? the dealer or a warranty company?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well on the paperwork its "Autoprotect Administration Ltd" who "...have been appointed by the Dealer to deal with all administrative matters relating to claims handling...", and on the phone they said they only act on behalf of the dealer so I need to contact the dealer. It seems very similar to this: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ider-goes-bust other than the warranty was included with the car, so I doubt I'll be able to get any money back.

Also, it says at the top of the agreement "This agreement and its terms and conditions are between the agreement holder and the company which sold the agreement (the guarantor)".

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Contact Autoprotect again
    Advise them the dealership is not trading any more, and ask for their advise (and a response in writing) as to which alternative dealership you should use

Check the contract, see if it advises a specific dealership or alternatives that can be used
    However, from what you have supplied so far if the dealership has ceased trading then the contract is nul and void
    Sadly you now have no choice but to purchase a new policy from another provider (AA Repair Cover should be suitable)

It is for this very reason I never use a garage own-branded warranty

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry, not sure if I've been clear. The warranty was supplied with the car by the dealer when we bought it (independent car dealer, not vauxhall dealership), and is branded as "Customer Protect - Gold Warranty". The warranty company seem to just reclaim the costs for warranty repairs from the dealer. It was the warranty administration company that have advised me that as far as they can tell the dealer is not trading anymore so they won't be able to claim costs from him, therefore can't honour the warranty.

Seems like I'm probably stuck and will have to pay for repairs myself. Out of interest the local vauxhall dealer has quoted about £300 (before 25% masterfit service club discount)for waterpump and timing belt replacement, if it is actually the waterpump that's at fault. From what I've seen on hear that's probably about as good as I'm going to get from a vauxhall dealer?!

I think the service book says either 80,000 or 100,000 miles for a timing belt replacement, but I'm sure i've seen on here or AOC that vauxhall changed that to 60,000 but some peoples have failed before even 60,000? The car has currently do 40,000 miles. What do people reckon, should I just get it done anyway?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you hadn't played about with the options, would you be aware of the issue / fault?
    Could you last for four weeks? (hopefully in that time it will become more obvious)

As we are now entering the summer months you could probably leave it for a few weeks (see below)

As above, consider the AA Repair Cover
    There is a 15 day no claims on new policies clause
    When there is a cold morning / night, you could then phone them up and advise at the lack of heat from the heater and raise a claim
    You can then take the car to the dealership once the breakdown agent has inspected the car and issued the claim form

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : vxr

Engine : z28neh

Year : 2009

Mileage : 31000

sounds to me the warranty is null and void fella

my advice is (but you do not have to take it)
    the impella has prob broke and will need replacing and if the dealers are quoting 300 quid then its a good price to be fair i would get it booked in

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks all for the advice. I've got it booked in at the dealers now, probably a waste of time trying to pursue the warranty!

Cheers

Thread Information