Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default EGR help and advice.

Car (07 CDTi 150) developed a horrible engine rattle yesterday. Very pronounced when trying to accelerate. Noxious smell inside the car. No warning lights on. When it first happened and under acceleration, thought the exhaust was a bit (white) smoky too (does not seem to smoke now though).

When it first happened I thought the turbo had 'gone' but after reading up on here (vectra-c), was not so sure.

The car drove fine other than the horrible noise and smell in the cabin, so I have driven very gently, no hard acceleration and that minimised the rattling noise.

Couldn't get the car in to any garage that I trust so ended up at kwik fit for diagnostics. When I arrived there was still no warning light on. After about 20 mins the mechanic called me over and explained that the EGR valve had gone and there was the engine symbol warning light on. He did have a diagnostic tool plugged in and he pointed out there was a fault reported on it regarding intake system. When I had a look at the EGR valve he said that there should have been a circular end plate on it but in my case it had blown off! He also said he have never seen a cap missing off an EGR before.

A couple of questions;

1. Is the horrible engine rattling type noise consistent with an EGR valve failure?
    2. Anyone heard of this circular end cap 'blowing off' before? If so what causes it?

When I took the car away from kwik fit the engine seems to have no power and will not rev beyond 2500 rpm. The noise seems to have changed a little too.

Any case, it is booked into Vauxhall tomorrow for an EGR valve replacement as A) Vauxhall were £50 cheaper than kwik fit! B) I am no spanner man and C) There is an actual part missing off the EGR body.

I guess what I am worried about is the EGR will be replaced and this horrible noise will persist and have to be diagnosed from scratch.

Any thoughts?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Trim : XP1

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 66000

Quote Originally Posted by Laffer View Post
    Couldn't get the car in to any garage that I trust so ended up at kwik fit....
    Really..?

Was the engine light not on when you dropped it off, but was when the mechanic called you over?

Must admit I have never heard of an EGR valve splitting, I assume you mean the gold coloured part on the left end of the below pic;

EGR097.jpg

You essentially have a massive air leak on the manifold so would account for the symptoms you are having, is there anyone local to you that you could swap EGR's, or maybe someone has one spare you could swap and test?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Really..? Yep, I only trust two garages locally, they are independents but trustworthy IMHO. They are stacked up till end of next week. I need this sorted ASAP.

Was the engine light not on when you dropped it off, but was when the mechanic called you over?
    Correct. Made me suspicious!

Must admit I have never heard of an EGR valve splitting, I assume you mean the gold coloured part on the left end of the below pic;
    Yep, gold coloured part is not there! Exhaust gasses leaking straight into engine bay.

EGR097.jpg

You essentially have a massive air leak on the manifold so would account for the symptoms you are having, is there anyone local to you that you could swap EGR's, or maybe someone has one spare you could swap and test?
    As I say booked in tomorrow. But get a horrible feeling that the disturbing noise will still be there...... and will ultimately need more money throwing at it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I actually have a spare EGR that you can have that section if you need to.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_BlackSRi View Post
    I actually have a spare EGR that you can have that section if you need to.
    That is very kind and generous of you.

I guess you are saying that the disc is easily removed and replaced? I just assumed it was a 'sealed' unit. Is the disc available as a part in it's own right?

Can it be removed with the EGR in situ? I just wonder if kwik fit were trying to generate a bit of business..........

I really need my car back ASAP so will continue with the Vauxhall booking tomorrow. To be fair they were very helpful and advised on various deals available - the master plan thing and the £40 voucher - so I will be getting this done for £109 inc EGR, gaskets, labour and VAT.

I may ask for the old EGR back as my car has only done 53k. May be worth keeping if the disc can be obtained separately.

I will continue posting here until this problem is resolved.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That is very kind and generous of you.

I guess you are saying that the disc is easily removed and replaced? I just assumed it was a 'sealed' unit. Is the disc available as a part in it's own right?

Can it be removed with the EGR in situ? I just wonder if kwik fit were trying to generate a bit of business..........

I really need my car back ASAP so will continue with the Vauxhall booking tomorrow. To be fair they were very helpful and advised on various deals available - the master plan thing and the £40 voucher - so I will be getting this done for £109 inc EGR, gaskets, labour and VAT.

I may ask for the old EGR back as my car has only done 53k. May be worth keeping if the disc can be obtained separately.

I will continue posting here until this problem is resolved.
    No, as far as I know the gold part isn't available separately, the EGR is bought in one piece, but can be separated into two (via 4 torx bolts), I have the silver part with the disc attached.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_BlackSRi View Post
    No, as far as I know the gold part isn't available separately, the EGR is bought in one piece, but can be separated into two (via 4 torx bolts), I have the silver part with the disc attached.
    Does not sound like foul play then. Still, unusual for the 'disc' to get 'blown out'! Does make me wonder if I could seal up the end of the EGR with some high temp metal weld epoxy type stuff or similar and a small metal plate.

Anyway, EGR being replaced first thing, will post back results.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Does not sound like foul play then. Still, unusual for the 'disc' to get 'blown out'! Does make me wonder if I could seal up the end of the EGR with some high temp metal weld epoxy type stuff or similar and a small metal plate.

Anyway, EGR being replaced first thing, will post back results.
    Car is running fine now the EGR has been replaced. Vauxhall mechanic also said he had not seen this problem before - the disc getting 'blown out'.

After reading here, I know I could of blocked the EGR off and that would have solved the problem too. But I prefer the motor to run as standard.

When this first happened it was quite frightening as the engine sounds seriously expensive to put right. So if you get what I have described earlier in this thread - worth checking the EGR (as well as other items mentioned on Vectra-c).

In the end, the bill was £114.66 from Vauxhall and I had to pay kwik fit £35 for diagnosis. Certainly cheaper than the raucous sound make me initially think it was going to be.

As I have said, I am no spanner man but think I will have to clue myself up a bit. With a resource as good as this site, it definitely pays to do some maintenance yourself.

Dan_BlackSRi - thanks again for your very kind offer. If I was not so dependent on the car I would have definitely taken you up on that.

Laffer.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glad to hear its all sorted, that's a decent price to get a EGR supplied and fitted from VX.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum