Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Saga Continues...White Smoke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

One other thing as this happens every time and the temperature gauge doesn't get hot, could I have a thermostat issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right it must be trying to Regen as I have just had the coil light flashing!!!

But the engine isn't warming up so I am assuming that the thermostat has gone which is leading to failed Regens

Strange though that in the 3 years of owning the car I have never had the coil light flash...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

If your temperature gauge does not get hot (should get up to 80-85 and stay there) then it needs replacing. Its a known fault and should be done regardless if it solves your DMF issue.

The DMF may have collapsed and no amout of cleaning is going to sort that. Also you may not have cleaned it as well as you thought and still might be blocked. I would be getting it smashed out and remapped along with the EGR as soon as.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by merikiito View Post
    If your temperature gauge does not get hot (should get up to 80-85 and stay there) then it needs replacing. Its a known fault and should be done regardless if it solves your DMF issue.

The DMF may have collapsed and no amout of cleaning is going to sort that. Also you may not have cleaned it as well as you thought and still might be blocked. I would be getting it smashed out and remapped along with the EGR as soon as.
    You mean DPF btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Quote Originally Posted by GazCDTI150 View Post
    You mean DPF btw.
    supprised I didn't put MAF or EGR, old age is getting to me bud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Micky86 View Post
    Strange though that in the 3 years of owning the car I have never had the coil light flash...
    You must have quite old ECU software for the coil light to flash - vx removed this on an update due to owners thinking they had a problem when a regen was underway.
    As I understand it, a regen occurs as a result of detection of high DPF saturation (differential pressure sensor detecting excessive exhaust gas restriction) and also some sort of time/mileage algorithm. So you could explain not having a high saturation with long journeys or maybe even the split hose tricking the sensor into always saying the DPF was relatively clear, but can't explain the algorithm not triggering.
    So, as you say, the ECU can get into a loop where it keeps on requesting a regen - so if your DPF is still restricted, the regen will keep triggering. Also if the regen isn't allowed to complete because you switch the engine off before the saturation levels have dropped, then it will try again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks @DieselWig Im just a bit stuck now as the car wont complete a regen no matter how long I drive it. White/blue smoke pours out the back and the temperature never goes up (although hot air still comes through the blower) i haven't got the money to remove the DPF and get a remap this month. So I feel like I'm stuck between a rock an a hard place!

The other worrying thing being the continued failed regen's will result in un-burnt finding its way to the oil?

How about if I drill through the middle of the DPF and create a clear path for exhaust gasses to pass. I then just need the ECU to complete a regen (may require new thermostat) or somehow reset the ECU to stop it wanting to perform regen from start up.

The coil light flashes from the ignition being turned on i.e. before the engine is turned over and carries on flashing as the car runs. Is this normal after a failed regen? Does anyone still have this feature on their car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DieselWig View Post
    The DPF not only becomes blocked with soot (particularly on short journeys) but eventually a build up of ash from the regens means that cleaning the soot off will no longer help.
    Will the ash not get blown out from the exhaust pressure during 'spirited' driving DieselWig? (Sorry; I have an absurd fascination with how a DPF works; or doesn't!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Could this be a faulty pre cat? The pre cat once saturated with the post injection fuel should cause the temperature of the exhaust gas to quickly reach 600 degrees and that will burn off the soot in the dpf. but if the pre cat isn't working you will see repeated attempts to regen the dpf. that maybe why you are getting the smoke and the diesel smell and the regen never completes.As for ash i thought the ash just collected in the bottom of the dpf. it never leaves the dpf. according to diesel guru frank masses a dpf can go 200k miles before the ash will cause any blockage. usually a blocked dpf due to soot and failed active regens will cause a major issue before the ash does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by renodci View Post
    (Sorry; I have an absurd fascination with how a DPF works; or doesn't!)

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...329-DPF-theory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information