On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default New speed Limit of 78MPH

What do you think if this then peeps? Raising the speed limit to 78mph - a good thing or a bad thing?

Click the link for details - LINK

discuss!!!

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Why 78mph? I read the article but 78mph is a stupid number. Why not just 80mph - a figure you can easily see if you're at on an analogue speedo.

As for the rise in the limit - personally I think yes given the advances in cars over the years in braking performance and safety. However, that doesn't mean the level of driving quality has risen with it so we'll have accidents with maybe more serious consequences. I think that needs to be addressed somehow with refresher driving tests etc.

Any rise should have with it tougher enforcement and not the margin that is 'allowed' at the moment. But this would need more police on the roads and the government doesn't want to pay for that - they'd rather plough the money into more cameras to make more money or use it in other areas that have nothing to do with roads!

Interested to see what somebody like MLC thinks as he's on the 'frontline' every day.

D

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My thoughts exactly.

Also, if they can lower the speed limit for when the weather is bad or when there's a lot of traffic, why can't they up the limit for when it's quiet with good visibility (on a decent stretch of motorway obviously)???

I've always thought that for a nice clear bit of motorway they should have an autobahn system that lets you put your foot down but still be at a Police Officers discression whether you're dangerous or not, but I've changed my mind on that. Imagine if at midnight a certain stretch of motorway becomes a no limit stretch. what's going to happen - I know, it'll be full of idiots going for it. We've had limits in this country for so long now, that if we were to loose a maximum limit people would go mad. It works reasonably well in Germany because drivers have been brought up with it.
    Last edited by AJA; 25th January 2007 at 16:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.8 Turbo

Year : 2006

I'd be in favour of it being increased as large numbers of people already drive at 80+ on the motorway, but 78? Have some sense and make it 80.

It's a bit disturbing to see the suggestion of a network of average speed cameras. I thought all cameras had to be at accident blackspots? Surely these would be illegal under those laws and under human rights laws? After all they'd be continously monitoring you on the motorway.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree, sometimes you do need to exceed the speed limit on a motorway to give yourself some room. If they had average speed cameras you would then have to go right under the limit to bring yourself back on schedule with 78mph. Not to mention the amount of accidents caused by people watching their speedos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Why 78mph? I read the article but 78mph is a stupid number. Why not just 80mph - a figure you can easily see if you're at on an analogue speedo.
    Probably because of Europe, and 125kmh = 78mph. But Belgium has 120kmh limits, France 130... so we're sitting on the fence??? Bizarre!

Re. opening up the Motorways at night... it would be Chav-tastic for a while, until the little blighters realised that it'll wreck their little cars in no time... then they'll go back to cruising the streets as before!

Besides... anyone driven on UK motorways in the dead of night lately? See all the speed restrictions & lane closures that appear at night for routine maintenance? Drove back from Ireland using the M6 & M1 a few months ago... the M1 was as congested as daytime due to the amount of lanes that were closed off. Not much work being done tho'

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Agreed matey, some stretches of our motorway network are that dangerous, that anything over 80mph is asking for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The DfT are currently working on a plan to reduce the 70mph speed limit to 60mph, for cars on Dual Carriageways and Motorways, from 2011
    However, it all hinges on the current government being in place after the next election

The current 70mph limit will never change as there are vehicles fromm 1967 permitted on our roads, and until they are all removed there will be no change, even if vehicle technology improves

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Where does the random 1967 come from ? There are cars a lot older than that on the roads

Upping the limit will have no effect on these cars, as they are unlikely to be driven near the limit by their owner anyway.

I say have a flexible limit. Depending upon driving conditions, COMMON sense is what is needed not more nanny state medling.

Soon we will be unable to cross the road without the green man saying we can

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think 80 is the way ahead, you try sitting at 70 on the m/way and I bet you will not overtake many ppl.

There has to be rules to govern this sort of thing, ie speeding, but there also has to be a little flexibility with in the rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information