User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1.9 120 8V Timing Belt instructions??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1.9 120 8V Timing Belt instructions??

Hi All
    Hoping to get my timing belt and water pump replaced within the next week. I'm hoping to get it done at our place, but not being Vauxhall they are asking me if I know if it needs any special tools or if I can get any instructions for them to check if it can be done without?? I know there's a help guide for 150 engine, but can't find any info on the 120?? Don't want them to get it stripped and be stuck without my car, so trying to do some preperation to avoid any delays or moaning mechanics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design+

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 101000

I found this job fairly straightforward, no special tools required. The hardest part was getting the aux belt pully off the crankshaft - mine had corroded a little and stuck.

Rotate the crankshaft until the mark on the cam sproket aligns with the cutout/mark in the casting, then mark the crank sprocket in-line with the cut-out at the bottom of the surrounding casting.

There is already a mark on the crank sprocket but this doesn't align with the cutout in the casting - so ignore that.

Once marks have all been verified in alignment, slacken tensioner, remove belt, fit new parts and belt, check alignment of marks on both sprockets, tighten tensioner, check aligment marks again, rotate crank through 2 full rotations with a spanner, check aligment of all marks again and check tension again. If all is correct, then hopefuly engine will run :-)

Note that the pump sprocket doesn't have any timing marks and does not need to be timed - only camshaft and crankshaft sprockets need alignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design+

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 101000

Forgot to say - you need to remove the rhs engine mount and support the engine with a jack and block of wood under the sump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Another kind member has also pm'd some help, so thankyou both

P.s I'd do a HOW2, but seen as it's being done at work I can't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks to alcutler and littleteapot, new cambelt is now on, although he said it had been done before, which I didn't know, but he did say water pump was kn44ckered anyway, so glad I got that as well, just got to finish building back up and then my rear wheel bearing to do, hopefully it will be finished before end of day, but at least I know it's good for France in a few weeks and I'll get to see what mpg it's really doing on a good run

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Quote Originally Posted by johp778 View Post
    Thanks to alcutler and littleteapot, new cambelt is now on, although he said it had been done before, which I didn't know, but he did say water pump was kn44ckered anyway, so glad I got that as well, just got to finish building back up and then my rear wheel bearing to do, hopefully it will be finished before end of day, but at least I know it's good for France in a few weeks and I'll get to see what mpg it's really doing on a good run
    Glad your sorted - it's always advisable to do the water pump at the same time as the cambelt kit - 9 times out of 10 it's the waterpump failing that causes the belt to fail + you know have the peace of mind knowing that the belt and pump have know been done. Good luck on your trip abroad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, that's what happened on my astra, did timing belt and then water pump went and had to do it again within the space of around 12 months.

He's just been in to tell me I need rear discs and pads doing as well now, so this bill is getting expensive!!

Front discs & pads - Done
    Timing belt & water pump - Done
    Rear wheel bearing - just finishing off
    Rear discs and pads - will do tomorrow

AND it only had a new battery and EGR cooler a few weeks ago, starter motor and glow plugs last year, luckily the thermostat and radiator were done under warranty by the garage I bought it off and Alternator's fairly new as well.
    I've almost got a new car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : SRI

Engine : CDTI 150 (Z19 DTH)

Year : 2008

Mileage : 100k

I had a 120 in at the weekend where a garage had failed to be able to do the waterpump as they didnt want to remove the cam pulley - so wouldnt do the job!!! They still charged the fella for the job of changing the belt kit however.

I stripped and changed the pump for him...

What a waste of labour time, bad practice from the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't have that problem here, but they panic when I need something other than a service doing, "we might not have the right tools", they always do, just excuses, it's not like it's only a few years old that might need a special new tool, they just like moaning about me running a Vaux. It doesn't help when I seem to have lots of things go wrong on my cars tho, think i'm just unlucky, although to be fair, discs & pads will always need doing at some point and timing belt is precautionary, seen as it's done 75,000, wasn't expecting EGR cooler though, could have done without it all being so close together, however at least it shouldn't need anything for a while now, I hope!
    Last edited by johp778; 25th February 2013 at 18:17.

Thread Information