Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Signum 3.0 CDTi

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post and I am on the verge of buying a 2006 Signum 3.0 CDTi sport.
    This is my first venture into the World of Vauxhall/Opel and would welcome your opinion on the car I'm contemplating buying. I live in Lithuania and make frequent trips across Europe to visit the UK. My priority is to have a versatile long distance cruiser which will also be a practical day to day car.
    I had contemplated a Vectra Estate but I prefer the Signum shape, which still gives plenty of room. What I particularly like is the flat floor when the rear seats are down.
    I don't think the sport model is sold in UK but because I need LHD I will buy from Germany. It looks like a good specification with CD70, bi-xenons, 18in wheels and a few other extras.
    I'm particularly interested to hear others' experience of driving the CDTi in terms of performance and economy.
    Tom

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it seems like you will be doing alot of motorway miles, in which case the 3.0 diesel will be an absolute joy to drive.

i don't think you will be disappointed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Tom,

we picked up our 3.0 CDTi yesterday and it's the smoothest car I have ever driven - totally effortless, I had the most relaxing drive home from work in my entire life.

I have been very surprised by the car, the economy isn't going to be anything special compared to the 1.9, but it seems to me that it was designed for motorways.

Mind you, I've only had the car since yesterday so I don't have a great deal of experience with it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you are a high mileage driver then the 3.0 V6 CDTI is a pleasure to drive...
    Stick it into 6th gear at 50mph and the engine is SILENT
    The problem is then you are looking for quiet tyres!

It is however thirsty at speed, compared to the 1.9 CDTI, but it gives you great confidence to overtake and to brake
    It isn't the sharpest drive on country roads and can take a while to get used to on that, however, by keeping it in 4th gear gives you plenty of options and reduces those constant gear changes so you can avoid braking

The overall package isn't very popular in the UK, due to higher diesel prices and car tax associated with the large engine and emissions rating (Class E)
    This gives you a LOT of room to negotiate price, especially on a "nearly new"
    I paid virtually half price for mine, which was on 10K miles and 1 year old, where as the comparable 1.9CDTI was an extra £3000

If you are new to 7 speed gear boxes, it can take a while to get used to going from 5th to 6th gear, that's the only down side as the number of gear changes can be quite excessive!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've had one for 6 months now, and whilst I have no experience of the 1.9, i LOVE this car. Its lowered and stiffened on Eibach springs and has a tuning module for eben more bhp & torque. It drives pretty well now, even through the twisty bits. Motorways are its home though and it cruises beautifully. The level of room and luxury it offers makes me feel like I've found a secret that few Ford/BMW/Audi/VW owners have thought about... its Elite spec...

Anyway buy it, you won't regret it...although make sure the shock absorbers are in good health, they are generally regarded as RUBBISH.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What they all just said!

The Signum 3.0 will be perfect for long distance cruising and the Sport spec gives it those nice touches - albeit without things like Climate Control.

The fold flat seats are great aren't they?! One of the features I really like!

Oh, and to the site!

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for all the comments so far. Makes me even more enthusiastic. Looks like the decision to go for a 3.0 CDTi Signum is made. I just want to be certain that the car I'm considering is the right spec. Anyone have experience of the 3.0 CDTi with a 6 speed auto box?
    I'm not really a high mileage user but I do occasional long trips and I do prefer bigger engines.

Thanks too for the welcome. Looks like a nice place to be and I already feel at home .
    Tom

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm comparing the Vectra SRi 3.0 V6 CDTI, to my previous Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Ghia
    I traded in my previous Vectra B SRi 140, simply to swap from petrol to diesel

Initially, I was well impressed with the Mondeo
    Handling was excellent, given it had basic suspension, and was certainly much better at cornering than the base level Vectra B, however the Vectra B with sport suspension was pretty similar
    Overall performance was pretty similar too, but the petrol Vectra B returned just 30mpg compared to the 38mpg my Mondeo returned
    Tyre wear was also very similar
    Service intevals were slightly longer too, at 12.5K miles
    However, servicing with Ford was VERY basic
    I reported various faults on services, but no faults were ever found, resulting in the car having to be rebooked in several times, even for simple basic faults!
    Faults between services were more successfully dealt with, especially when the car was deemed to be VOR (Vehicle Off Road), resulting in a replacement Hire Car being issued
    However, mine developed an unusual engine fault 1 month before its first MoT which was never fully diagnosed and it took 2 months to resolve!
    Thankfully, my local VX dealership agreed to take it in part exchange, subject to repair completion

Internally, the Mondeo has more space, especially for rear seated passengers, and on the Ghia there were some nice touches, which the SRi should have (as they are about the same money / specification)

Thread Information